Thread: What zodiac to get ?

Default What zodiac to get ?

What zodiac to get ? The more I look the more I get confused !! I'm getting either a 8 or 10 foot to put on top of the boat. But they are all starting to look alike. Just want something to go ashore and cruise around bear hunting and able to hande 2ppl

Thanks
    Roger
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I bought a 10ft 2in West Marine version made by Zodiac Group. It has the HP air floor and weighs about 57lbs (per company specs). I find that it is big enough for three and is easy enough to haul up on to the roof of the War Horse. I just put a rope on the bow ring and pull away! Up, up and right up over the roof railing. No problems and it keeps me from trying to lift it up over my head in any kind of swells. I did a lot of looking around and I'm happy with this choice. I haven't even put the 6hp Tohatsu on it yet. Wonder if I will before I want to run up the Coghill...except for that darn break-in period of ten hours that must be completed first! Good luck.

IceKing02

Personally, I like the 10'. They are just a bit larger but not too large that you can't handle them by yourself. I have a 10' and a 13'. The 13' is right at the max weight I can handle my self...at least right now I still can.
    Tony

Had a 10 footer and sold it. Bought an 8 footer (air floor) just two months ago. For us, it is a much better boat. The Suzuki 2.5 pushes it along at an estimated 7-8 mph with two adults and one pack frame loaded with bear meat and a hide.

But next year I plan on buying a 12 foot Porta boat as I've never owned one. Plan on putting a 6 hp on it.
    Tennessee

We use an 8'er as it is easy to lift and toss around both on the boat and on shore. 2HP Honda moves it with 2-3 people no problem.
    Main thing is that you can handle the boat easily.
    BK

What about the Zodiak zoom with fiberglass/aluminum floor ? I have a guy that wants to trade me for my 338

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    What about the Zodiak zoom with fiberglass/aluminum floor ? I have a guy that wants to trade me for my 338
    Heavy but nice. With an 8 horse you could run 2 people around on step. If you think you`ll have to stow the boat by yourself I`d stay away from the solid floor boats.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    If you think you`ll have to stow the boat by yourself I`d stay away from the solid floor boats.
    Ok I will not be getting that then

I have the 10' 2" with wood floor powered with a 15 hp merc. She runs like a water ski with 2 of us on board. I choose the wood floor for puppy transport. At the time when we bought the boat, I had 3 Rotties and they got pretty rammy trying to catch the water as it flies by.

Zodiac shows it as weighing 103 on their spec sheet but I thought when I bought it there was only about a 2 pound difference between the boat and the OB or about 150 pounds for the boat and OB.

Doesn't matter the thing is an absolute blast. I have run it a bunch of times from the Valdez Habor across to Allison Point. The longest run that I have ever made with it was from Esther Island back to Whittier Harbor, back to Esther Island. Really felt small crossing Wells Passage.

When costco was carrying the import air floor inflatables I picked one up. It's just under 10', rated for 10 horse but I'm running an old 8 horse e-rude. It weighs 85 pounds and I couldn't imagine manually pulling a heavier boat onto the roof of a pilot house. I'd like to get one of the older 15 horse two strokes, as they don't weigh much more than the 8 horse, and it'll have enough oomph to get the inflatable on plane with 2 adults. Also, however many people they rate an inflatable for, reduce that number by one. Our inflatable is rated as a 4 person raft, I'd say it's more of a 3 person raft, and if you add a couple of hunting backpacks and a bear hide, it's really a two person raft.

We have no problems with our ~115# chessie and his nails on the air floor.

The 8 horse will make it downright scoot with 1 adult, or two kids. Put one kid in it, and it they really have fun.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.