Thread: QAD Ultrarest

Default QAD Ultrarest

A buddy of mine did not like my drop away rest, so he gave me a QAD Ultrarest that he had collecting dust on a bench. He felt it was a better choice for me, but he personally didn't like it as he could never get it tuned for his bow. He recommended a pro set it as he felt it was problematic and complicated as he could never get it to work for him. I am always up for a challenge though.

My biggest problem was removing my old launch string from my cable. That was a true PITA. The QAD went on simple, and by following the instructions I installed the string to the cable in seconds...so simple a State employee could do it (I am one).

Next, I went out to shoot a target after eye balling where I thought the rest should be in comparison to the one I removed. I shot 6 arrows at 10 yards, and they all hit 6-8 inches to the left. I did what I always have done, and followed the arrow by moving the rest to the left. Three more arrow, 12 inches left. Huh??? Arrow shooting left, move the rest left should pull the arrow right...at least that is what I have always seen. Against my instincts I moved the rest all the way to the right and shot 4 more arrows, and I was 2 inches right now. A little more tweaking to the left and I was centered. Arrow was shooting low and I still had to adjust the rest UP, not down.

This is all backwards to me. Is it normal for these rest to be this way? It will take me a few dozen arrows to decide if I like it or not, but the first few shots have seemed "different" but okay. Just have to get use to it I think. I will have to tell my buddy about this to see if he too went the wrong way with his arrow
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Yes, this seems right to me. If you were tweaking your sights, then yes, move the pin in the direction of the arrow, but when tweaking the rest, it's the opposite.

Frostbitten is on the money. Follow your arrow with your sight, opposite with the rest. You should paper tune it once you have it locked in to see how it's shooting. Your arrow should sit on your rest a little nock high. Love my QAD, wouldn't shoot anything else.

Take it to Judy at BearPaw Archery ... she'll have it figured out in about 15 minutes. Easy.

It is set up perfectly. I just forgot that the "rest" goes one way while the sights go the other. Simple brain fart on my part ;-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather