Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: east fork chulitna

Default east fork chulitna

Can anyone remind me what river comes in river right when you are floating down the east fork of the chulitna that makes the water change from clear to murky glacial water? I thought I remember a long stretch after honolulu of clear water but I was also thinking the west fork was glacial.
    Thanks in advance.

That would be the main stem of the Chulitna River, AKA West Fork of the Chulitna River, the one that comes out of the glacier.

Anyone float this recently? How was it?

Thanks
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Floated from the east fork to the Parks bridge last weekend with a large group. We had boats ranging from a Kayak to an 18 foot cat. The trip went well with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana_Transplant View Post
    Floated from the east fork to the Parks bridge last weekend with a large group. We had boats ranging from a Kayak to an 18 foot cat. The trip went well with no issues.
    Thanks a lot MT, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana_Transplant View Post
    Hey MT, I see you took out at the Parks bridge, was that by the Princess Lodge? I remember seeing a gate across that roadway, do you know if that gate was open or who to contact to get permission to drive down that road?

Thanks again.

On my way back to town after floating the upper middle fork of the Chew this weekend I noticed that the gate was either open or removed.
    -JR

No gate - although I have heard there is still some tension with the land owner. If anyone knows the land owner could we come to an agreement? If a box was posted with a request for donations I would be happy to support the launch in exchange for continued use. I believe the commercial operations pay for access rights.

Right on...thanks guys.

How do you access the West Fork.
    -JR

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland440 View Post
    How do you access the West Fork.
    -JR
    It is not road accessible. The easiest way to get on the west fork is to put in on the east or middle fork and float down to the confluence with the west.

There are some options for schwacking into the west fork for packrafting or flying in but the best part of the float is on the clear water of the middle and east forks.

I thought someone once told me that you could get to it somewhere around Colorado Lake. Maybe via the bull river?
    -JR

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland440 View Post
    I thought someone once told me that you could get to it somewhere around Colorado Lake. Maybe via the bull river?
    -JR
    I have heard that too. I guess I should clarify and say it is not easily road accessible.

I have a 16 ft Cat and would like to float the Chulitna in the next couple weeks. I know very little about the float and am looking for any good information anyone might have for me. Put in Location, Pick up Location, Length, Camping spots, etc.... Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Some Chulitna float info here: http://paddling.jimstrutz.com/page46.html

Just got home, the trip went great! The east fork seemed pretty shallow, and the canyons were a hoot! Lots of debris in the braided areas as predicted, made me stay on the lookout. We had great weather all three days except for the last 2 hours when it started to rain cats and dogs on us.

Upon arriving back at Parks hwy bridge, we discovered someone had drilled our gas tank.
    I managed to fix with a screw and chewing gum to get back to ANC.

Thats sucks... Ive always wanted to float this! That would be a blast, but I need to buy a raft

That does suck, we didn't have a problem when we did it. Sorry to hear.

eruk - Sorry to hear about the gas tank! Believe it or not, I also had my gas tank drilled in early June at the Parks Highway pull out, they also stole my gas cap... Make sure you report the incident to the Talkeetna trooper so he can track the vandalism. Too bad to experience these type of problems, not much you can do to protect your vehicle while out on the river.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast