Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Trucks in the Copper River

Exclamation New Trucks in the Copper River

Just got off the phone with Sue Hem in Chitina. Two shiny trucks within the last 24 hours lost in the Copper from the sand bars below the bridge.

If you or someone you know insists on fording the braids with your truck to save yourself some work or the cost of a charter ticket, you might recalculate the cost based on the loss of your rig, everything in it, the potential loss of life, and the cost of a tow truck to recover your rig (if you can).

If you still insist that the gravel bar sweep is what you've got to do, at least have somebody tall risk their own neck to wade in front of your truck as you haply (spelling intentional) go merrily along.

Besides that, I doubt everybody downriver will be real happy with your contribution to the river.

~tr
    Last edited by gr8fl; 06-09-2011 at 12:18. Reason: I know this sounds harsh...

What do you mean by lost?

The rigs we're parked on the gravel, the river rose and washed them away? or

Driving through deep water and hydro-locking their engines?

They tried to ford the braids, got in too deep, and got swept away by the current. Don't know if either of them have been recovered yet.

~tr

So are we supposed to put that on our tags as a King? Clip the tailpipe? Crazy.

Yep, bring your hack saw...

Tony, thanks for the info. I do like to sweep on that bank. I almost hydro'd my pickup one year and since took the wheeler only out there.

Roger that, TR. It's not you who I'm worried about...and I do apologize for the tone. I think I picked that up from the people on the scene. They see it happen every year. In fact, there was talk about installing some couches on the hill so the locals could watch it all going down.

Oh, none taken. Actually with fuel injected engines its wicked easy to do. Especially for those of us rasied with carbed engines who think they can make it. On a carb, at least the water has a chance to get atomized and mix with fuel and possibly get burned (boiled) and exhausted. FI engines: water goes straight through the ram air intake and direct in the cylinder, piston tries to squeeze it, something has to give and its usually the connecting rods. Diesels even worse because of the high compression ratio.

BG.jpg

guy driving on the Copper River near Chitina

I have learned to respect rivers in general in my boat. Iím not gonna test the floatation of my truck in any river The Copper is one I highly respect. To drive a truck in it is just plane silly and I think illegal. I remember a guy driving across OíBrian creek last year and the Chitna police/orange truck/biologists got their pannies in a wade about it.

Default Just got word

Both trucks have been retrieved from the river and are being towed back to Wasilla and Anchorage respectively. No one was hurt.

~tr

I think I got behind one of them as we were leaving Chitina today... looked very shiny- and broken.

Every year I come back from the Copper I'm amazed at some of the stunts I see for catching a few fish. Given what I saw going on the loss of a couple of pickups seems minor compared to what could have happened.

one is coming back to wasilla via my buddy happy hooker cha ching
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

See if you can get a picture of it and I'll highlight it on the Copper Escapement page.

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I think I got behind one of them as we were leaving Chitina today... looked very shiny- and broken.

Every year I come back from the Copper I'm amazed at some of the stunts I see for catching a few fish. Given what I saw going on the loss of a couple of pickups seems minor compared to what could have happened.
    I have to agree with this. I just got back last night as well, and some of the things people do off the Haley Creek road cliffs are spectacularly stupid. I was fishing on the south side and got to watch a lot of people barely clinging to the rocks defy death with no ropes. One guy slipped on loose gravel about 30 feet up and almost shot straight off into the river. He only stopped because there happened to be one bare rock his foot got a grip on. If it wasn't there, he would've been done for.

That's just one example. Also saw someone dipping Kenai River style, out to there chest in the river....I really don't recommend this there.

I knew it wasn't if... but when. I crossed the bridge on Saturday around noon and there were 6...yes 6 trucks backed up to the main channel. To get there they had crossed three braids. Besides numb in the brain owners the trucks all had one thing in common... They were lifted. I guess maybe these two weren't lifted enough?

I wonder if insurance companies have a clause voiding their responsibilities when acts of stupidity cause a total loss?
    Last edited by AKArcher; 06-10-2011 at 00:11. Reason: poor English . :)
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    I wonder if insurance companies have a clause voiding their responsibilities when acts of stupidity cause a total loss?
    Most insurance won't cover intentional loss... and most consider off road use intentional. Certainly most will consider river fording intentional.

Default The Old Ways are Often Better

Here's how they used to do it:

1907 Copper River Crossing

~tr
    Last edited by gr8fl; 06-11-2011 at 00:21. Reason: fergot to capitalize copper

I have some sweet video of a truck being swamped last year! Why on gods green earth would you drive out there is beyond me!

Because it's less work that way.

Can you post that video for us?

~tr

Gad, I remember years ago seeing dozens and dozens of people in chest waders going out into the main channel this side of the big bridge, darned near up to the tops of their chest waders and they would jump up and let the current carry then down some distance while holding a net. That used to just scare the hell out of me, no safety ropes, no life vests, no wetsuits -- nothing. I donít recall what they called that style of death defying due, but several words come to mind and most are very similar to INSANE. I havenít seen people doing that for quite some time now -- maybe they all died off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast