Thread: Shrimping alone

Default Shrimping alone

Anyone go shrimping alone?

I don't have a rear steering station so just wondering if people do and if so, their process.

Thanks! Dan

I do it alone, same process as if I'm with someone. Pull up to bouy, grab it, pull it in, empty my pots, find my spot and re-drop. A little more work but not a big deal.

I've done it alone while the family was back at shore. It's tougher when you're dealing with a tide or wind, but basically you just have to time it so that you cut power and drift to the bouy, run back to the deck and grab it with a boat hook or gaff, and sometimes you miss and have to go around again. I've always done the actual pulling, emptying the pots and dropping them myself.

One tip whether going solo or with somebody else is to use two buoys with about 5' of line between them. It's much easier to snag the line between the buoys than the line dropping from the bouy. The second bouy can be an empty juice or water container, small boat fender etc.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Not worried about pulling them, more concerned with dropping them...

The only advice for anyone shrimping alone is to highly recommend they be wearing a PFD. I have an auto-inflate (SOSpenders) that I always wear when setting or pulling pots. I always seem to be leaning over the gunwale and it takes only one slip to find yourself in the water without a boat or any help.

Agree on the PFD comment. It does not hurt to have a trailing buoy and a grapple. Then you don't have to be right on the buoy and it gives some fudge factor. Plus when you have more people on the boat it gives them that "Deadliest Catch" feeling throwing the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    The only advice for anyone shrimping alone is to highly recommend they be wearing a PFD. I have an auto-inflate (SOSpenders) that I always wear when setting or pulling pots. I always seem to be leaning over the gunwale and it takes only one slip to find yourself in the water without a boat or any help.
    You just raised a good question. Can you get back in your boat if you did fall out? Some boats are much easier than others and have you ever tried to do it? Not as easy as it sounds in most cases. Those with swim decks or an installed pull down step or ladder are way ahead of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishin View Post
    Not worried about pulling them, more concerned with dropping them...
    akfishin,

I always try to set my pots on the upwind side of the boat so I will drift away from the gear. This will keep the ground line from rubbing across the hull.

On retrieving gear, I use a foam bullet trailer buoy which I can easily reach with a boat hook. I swing the davit in over the gunnel to get the ground line in the block so I don't reach for the block over the water.

Safety items I have available when shrimping are 1) deck knife on me 2) deck knife on the davit 3) pfd/stormy seas float coat on 4) a set of nylon webbing steps which I can reach to help get back into the boat if I fall overboard. This link is an example of what I am referring to:http://www.rei.com/product/474077/bl...-5-step-etrier.

My boys, teenagers now, lost interest in working shrimp gear a number of years ago. So I normally work shrimp gear by myself. I actually find it easier working by myself as I have a routine down pat and explaing to others the steps involved actually slows the process down. My boys still like to eat shrimp. Imagine that .

Doug

When I go out shrimping, trolling, or am on deck by myself I wear a PFD, and also put a personal epirb in my coat. I figure out of I go overboard with no one on the boat my chances of getting back on board are small, especially if it is in gear. A personal epirb is under $500 these days, I think, and is a good safety measure if you are going out by yourself.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I have a swim step on the boat and the pfd goes without saying. Thanks for the hints and tips, I might have to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    When I go out shrimping, trolling, or am on deck by myself I wear a PFD, and also put a personal epirb in my coat. I figure out of I go overboard with no one on the boat my chances of getting back on board are small, especially if it is in gear. A personal epirb is under $500 these days, I think, and is a good safety measure if you are going out by yourself.
    Jim,

What PLB are you using? My ACR PLB seems too big to keep on my while working on deck. I will throw it in a pack when I go to shore though.

Doug

Not to be argumentative, but who has, or known of somebody falling overboard while shrimping?

Saw a guy in a Bayliner trying to gaff a halibut in Day Harbor a few years ago and fell overboard. I think there was a little alcohol involved. The rest of his crew couldn't stop laughing and let him paddle like a dog for a few miutes before helping him back on board. Had he been alone, I don't think he could have gotten back on him self.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishin View Post
    I have a swim step on the boat and the pfd goes without saying. Thanks for the hints and tips, I might have to give it a try.
    I strongly recommend adding a ladder to your swimstep.

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by akfshklr View Post
    Not to be argumentative, but who has, or known of somebody falling overboard while shrimping?
    A few years ago I caught my friend by his feet on his way in. His head and shoulders were under water by then. The cuff of his jacket caught on the pot, throwing him off balance and over the rail.

Big_E