Thread: Ranger cargo rack built for hauling gear

Default Ranger cargo rack built for hauling gear

The frame is made of 2" flat bar and 1" square steel. The expanded metal is 3/4" 13 gauge. I just have a few minor details to clean up, paint, and then secure to the bed.

I thought long and hard about a hinged back door but decided against it.

Once its complete my ranger will be a load hauling machine.

I used the Polaris Lock and Ride mounts. 3 across the back, 3 on each side. Looks like you might not be able to do that across the back but since you put the expanded metal on the ouside on the sides they should work. They secure really well and I would think that 3 or 4 on each side would be plenty. Here is the link to the other thread about Ranger racks and what mine looks like and how its mounted.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...w-us-your-pics

I plan to make my own lock n ride system. 11 of them, 4 on each side and 3 in the front. The concept is simple and I should have only $40 invested for all 11 mounts.

The rack worked as intended and I am happy with the results after the testing phase. The most significant downfall is stacking all that gear made the ranger top heavy and it rode down uneven trails like a bouy in the water. That problem maybe solved by tightening up the rear springs and moving the top shock to the outer position.

Pics of the ranger and rack in action.

Nice looking rack. I've been thinking about closing in my rack with expanded metal like that. We'll see.

I'm still trying to get my Legend Air Suspension figured out for the added weight of all the gear we take. I had to laugh when I saw your picture with all that gear. Looks familiar. Ha!

That's the problem with these things. They are freakin monsters and will carry or tow more gear than you should be taking. I finally flipped my 6x6 Ranger because I was loaded very simular to your picture. That sucked. So be careful!

Hey Blademan,

Let us know how you like the Legend Air Suspension.

Good looking rack Gremlin. I need to get mine done.

I may be home sometime between Aug and Oct, I'm still looking forward to a Ranger 6x meet and greet/trail ride.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by outaMT View Post
    Hey Blademan,

Let us know how you like the Legend Air Suspension.

Good looking rack Gremlin. I need to get mine done.

I may be home sometime between Aug and Oct, I'm still looking forward to a Ranger 6x meet and greet/trail ride.
    Will do. I've just been waiting to post any opinions on it till I use it for a bit. I know it'll let you carry too much weight though! LOL! I'll update my Legend Air Suspension thread in a month or so...

And yeah, we do need to all try and hook up for a ride. I'm not as busy this summer, so I should be able to make something work out. We'll make the Water_Gremlin carry all the gear with his fancy rack. Ha!

Top heavy got me thinking. I want to build something similiar to this rack but wanted to extend it high enough to carry a 12' canoe with a front rack supporting the front. Canoe weights 45 lbs. ANy thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Top heavy got me thinking. I want to build something similiar to this rack but wanted to extend it high enough to carry a 12' canoe with a front rack supporting the front. Canoe weights 45 lbs. ANy thoughts?
    With a Ranger 6x6? No problem. Just be careful with the amount of gear you take, and how it's loaded.

Very simple, a multi- winch set up front and rear, inserts/uprights high enough to clear the rack, and wide enough to support the canoe front and rear, 2 large "T"'s.

Bruce.

Here is a picture of my Ranger last year. I hauled in ten 16' long treated 2x6's each trip last year, and a still had quite a bit of gear with me in the bed on my first trip. I weighed each 2x6 and it totaled about 300 to 400lbs if I remember correctly. I do remember one weighed about 42 lbs. They were pretty wet. Ha! I should have bought them early and dried them out, but nope, I just went for it. My buddy hauled in 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood with his gear one trip, and 5 the next without the gear.

My rack on the rear is just 1 1/4" square stock welded to some 3/16" flat bar around the top of the bed. There is some 1/8" flat bar under the bed too, and I used 1/2" all thread that goes through the holes in the bed to pull the top and the bottom together. Since the front ROPS cab is angled slightly forward, I had to shim it up with a couple of small strips of plywood to make a flat surface from the back all the way to the front of the ROPS cab. Not very nice, but it worked well.

Of course, I won't be trying it again with that much weight on the roof! LOL! I might try half that next time...HA!

That's great info...Thanks guys!! Looks like the 12 footer is a piece of cake.

That means I can probably haul the 17' Grumman and a 9.9 hp wherever I want with a 6x6 and all the camping gear I can stuff into the bed. actually not counting a cooler I probably don't have 100 lbs most of the time not counting extra gas and use my 700 twin to haul it so the 6x6 is the answer to the bigger loads even up high and the canoes. What a workhorse!!

Thanks again!!