Thread: Have some questions

Default Have some questions

I have had bears coming in almost every day so I have started hunting all day and night. I have had one come in but didn't get a shot. Had two more yesterday come in about 50 yds out and wouldn't come to the bait. Nothing has actually been on the bait in two days. Have put a bunch of 907's stuff all over dog food but havent put more dog food out in about four days. Should I put more dog food out? Have been doing honey burns too. Could they have maybe winded me and just won't come in? I figure the more time in the stand the better chances I have but starting to wonder if I am doing something wrong?

Sounds like they are winding you.

No matter what you do, they usually know you're in there. You have to be absolutely still when you go in. I like leaving lots of scent every time I go to bait- get them used to my smell. Sweaty shirts, bug dope, pee in the area. The key seems to be, don't move! Nothing sudden, at least. Usually the longer you sit the more fidgety you'll get, so sitting longer can be counter productive. Good luck- it'll happen!

he's right I just got my first archery bear here friday night & he was watching me the whole time he came In. I was using scent killer & had a chilli suit on, they just know. the being still is key & when they do come in move very very slow. you'll connect here soon.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I've had similar experiences...knowing good and well they are in the area, but won't come in to the site. Something you could try is, bring a partner into the site with you and have them refresh the bait/loiter around a little while you get into your stand. Once you are set up, have your partner leave the area on the same trail you normally would, while you stay in your stand (and stay dead still). I've seen this work several times when the bears seem to be hung up.

The bears know you are there. Trying to hide the scent is a waste of time. Try the 2 in and 1 personleaves routine. Bears don't seem to be able to tell that only 1 person / wheeler is making noise when the exit the area.

All answers are correct.......
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Well finally put an arrow through one tonight. It's not a very big one but it's my first bear and I had plenty I could have taken with the rifle but held out for the bow shot. Thanks for all of the info, and thanks to bait em 907 for te great stuff it works!!

Congrats Duckkiller post some pics

congrats! sounds like you had a late night!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I've had similar experiences...knowing good and well they are in the area, but won't come in to the site. Something you could try is, bring a partner into the site with you and have them refresh the bait/loiter around a little while you get into your stand. Once you are set up, have your partner leave the area on the same trail you normally would, while you stay in your stand (and stay dead still). I've seen this work several times when the bears seem to be hung up.
    Ya I agree totally, I've seen this work a couple times as well. If I am alone, I like to drive my utv right up to the barrel, add a little bait, bang on the barrel and then drive back out a ways to where I park, then sneak back in. I have on a couple occasions seen bears already on the barrel in the couple minutes it takes me to walk back in. Also as it was mentioned earlier dont worry about scent, you will go crazy trying to cover your scent and the bear will still smell you, it cant really be avoided, so just get him used to your smell, and stay very very still.