Thread: Best way to shuttle on upper Kenai...

Default Best way to shuttle on upper Kenai...

I'm floating the upper from Sportsman's to Jim's on Sunday for the first time and was wondering what everyone does to get back up to Sportsman's after they drop their rig down at Jim's. Bike, hitch a ride, other options? I'm not taking two cars.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    I'm floating the upper from Sportsman's to Jim's on Sunday for the first time and was wondering what everyone does to get back up to Sportsman's after they drop their rig down at Jim's. Bike, hitch a ride, other options? I'm not taking two cars.

Thanks
    I bike it takes like 15 mins very easy shuttle. I can't remember what a ride costs but I think it's like 30 dollars.

Pretty easy to hitch a ride.

I usually hitch a ride. There will be way too much traffic down there to risk hiking or even biking back.

I have done that drift hundreds of times and never had a problem finding a ride. Make sure to return the favor if other people need rides too.

Just ask somebody at the takeout for a ride. I've never turned anybody down. I use Wildmans to shuttle my truck just so I don't have to worry about it. The only problem is you have to wait until they open (I think 7:00 AM) to give them a key to your vehicle, so the first time you use them you will probably be getting a later start than you want. You can then let them keep your spare key and make arrangements over the phone the day prior to your next fishing trip and get on the river a lot earlier. I fish the upper quite a bit, so this works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayintrout View Post
    I have done that drift hundreds of times and never had a problem finding a ride. Make sure to return the favor if other people need rides too.
    Good karma goes a long ways, also, someone on here mentioned it before and I never thought about it, but pack an extra towel in your gear and bring it with you, just toss it on the floor of the vehicle you get a ride in, no sense in getting someone truck all muddy and dirty.

Amen to that. I think it was me who mentioned it last year. I just keep a few extra towels in my truck also.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Good karma goes a long ways, also, someone on here mentioned it before and I never thought about it, but pack an extra towel in your gear and bring it with you, just toss it on the floor of the vehicle you get a ride in, no sense in getting someone truck all muddy and dirty.

Yeah half the time, you will end up in the bed of a truck or in a boat. But hey, it beats walking.. The guides usually have big vans with lots of seats, so usually they will be more than happy to give you a ride if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayintrout View Post
    Yeah half the time, you will end up in the bed of a truck or in a boat. But hey, it beats walking.. The guides usually have big vans with lots of seats, so usually they will be more than happy to give you a ride if you need it.
    There's no way I will let someone ride in the boat. It would be bad to hurt someone because I was trying to be nice. Stay safe!

If you don't want to wait or deal with hitching a ride. Colin at the Kenai Cache is offering a shuttle service;

Sportsman's to Jim's $25
    Kenai Lake to Sportsman's $30
    Kenai Lake to Jim's $35

I'm floating Skilak to Bings on Sunday (solo) but haven't found a shuttle. Anyone doing that trip on Sunday who would be willing to shuttle back to Skilak? It's off the highway a fair bit so I don't want to count on some kind soul to do it for free. I'm willing to pay fair market value. Thanks in advance if you can help or know of a shuttle service.

oki

Max at Alaska Canoe in Sterling said earlier that he would be doing shuttles. Give him a call, Bing's is pretty close to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee Jay View Post
    Max at Alaska Canoe in Sterling said earlier that he would be doing shuttles. Give him a call, Bing's is pretty close to him.
    thanks Tee Jay, actually I already tried Alaska Canoe and it wasn't going to work for Sunday (times, and other issues).

Quote Originally Posted by okisutch View Post
    I'm floating Skilak to Bings on Sunday (solo) but haven't found a shuttle. Anyone doing that trip on Sunday who would be willing to shuttle back to Skilak? It's off the highway a fair bit so I don't want to count on some kind soul to do it for free. I'm willing to pay fair market value. Thanks in advance if you can help or know of a shuttle service.

oki
    If you have an extra $80 laying around Wildman's will shuttle your car for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    If you have an extra $80 laying around Wildman's will shuttle your car for you.
    thanks 9601. Not a bargain by any stretch but beats the alternatives (not fishing at all or getting stranded at Bing's).

My friends, longer term area residents/rafters, use Wildmans too - which I've found to be handy and reliable.

Wildman's - Mile 47.5 Sterling Hwy. Cooper Landing, AK 907-595-1456

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was able to hitch a ride no problem from some nice folks.