Thread: Upper Kenai Opener - Recommended Patterns

Default Upper Kenai Opener - Recommended Patterns

I will going down to the Upper Kenai opener Saturday and will be floating it (cataraft) in search of my first Kenai hog. I am fairly new to fly fishing (3 years) and even newer to the Kenai (a few fall/winter hike-ins, floated it last opener due to lack of Russian reds).

I grew up in the valley and fish primarly the Parks streams so I am wondering what are the recommended fly patterns to fish at this time of the year. I have been told everything from smolt to eggs to flesh. It seems a little late for smolt and early for eggs or flesh but that is why I am here.

I read these forums quite often and have learned a ton from them. Please help me out.

I haven't fishing the kenai on the opener or for that matter early in the year but this year i plan to. I bet streamer patterns will work, nymphs and its not to late for smolt.

oh god. this should be good..........

Quote Originally Posted by fishak24 View Post
    oh god. this should be good..........
    awe come on B help the guys out........ a little...............lol

oh god what? just trying to help someone out.

Ill help. Beadhead hares ears, egg sucking leeches, glow bugs, smolt patterns, small stones that should point ya in the right direction for bows. oh and dolly llamas. good luck
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
    oh god what? just trying to help someone out.
    Yep, for some reason some of the self-described experts hate to help a fella new to the river out. Pathetic. Wet waders, Slack lines and missed fish to you dudes.

Any of the mayfly patterns like hares ear, prince nymphs and copper johns work for me. Small dark stone patterns work well as do most types of wooly buggers, leeches and smolts. I have a pink yarn pattern I call sucker spawn that works well too(especially for dollies). If you can't find anything similar try glo bugs with some tinsel or polar fuzz as a dressing.

900 fusion pretty much nailed everything with his post.

Don't forget a flesh pattern or two. With the upper opening this weekend there will be plenty of carcasses in the water and hungry fish feeding on flesh. Maybe a sculpin pattern also
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Anything black, flesh like rapter said, Beads (trout are cannibals), smolt, then your nymphs ect.

I was just being a smart ass thinking of how some of the other threads have ended up. So instead of repeating, i will just say that everything above is going to get the job done. I hope you have a blast and catch a lot of fish.

I was just being a smart ass thinking of how some of the other threads have ended up. So instead of repeating, i will just say that everything above is going to get the job done. I hope you have a blast and catch a lot of fish.
    when I read what you said I was actually thinking more about the look on his face when he finds out he isn't alone..............with half of anchorage. And he never really did say if he was chasing bows or reds, just "hogs".

I am glad you cleared that up. I thought you meant, don't tell people where to go and don't tell people what to use. Now, I won't have to call you names.

Thank you all for your help. It sounds like it is a buffet down there. I planned on loading my flybox and trying a mix of everything but some hints will help me narrow it down a bit. A guy has to learn some where.