Thread: Looking to learn the ropes

Default Looking to learn the ropes

I am looking into running a trap line this year with my hunting partner. I have never done any trapping before and don't know where to start. I am looking for someone to either teach me the how's and why's or at least someone to tell me a good starter kit to buy so I can figure it out. I do not have a snowmachine so snowshoes are my source of hunting. At the very least I would like to do some predator calling and try my hand at that. I don't have very many gun options so either .22, .300 win, or 12 ga. shotgun is all I have. I would love to get a fox, wolf, lynx, or coyote if possible. Again just some pointers us all I'm looking for.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Supporting Member

Check out the Alaska Trappers Association and their website. They are headquartered out of Fairbanks and may be able to give you some suggestions or find you a mentor.

Supporting Member

Sorry, forgot to give you their website address: www.alaskatrappers.org

Send me a PM around september and see if we can work something out.

A 22 is good fox and coyote medicine. get em with in 75 yards and whackem. if you can get a good quarter size cluster at that range, your good to go. a 300 win mag with a Full metal coat would wrk OK if you get them out a ways where they have lost some velocity.

I don't know much about predator calling, everythign I have called in was prolly a fluke. but I can give ya some pointers on getting started trappin
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Would be good if you could provide some more details. Do you have a trapping area picked out? What sort of fur critters are there? How often can you check the line? Will this be a land line, or maybe include some water areas? How much can you spend on equipment to get started?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Hey all,
    new to this forum so forgive me if this is redundant, but when I was a board member of the ATA back in the 80's, we used to keep a set of maps of "registered traplines". They weren't registered with the state or anything, just with ATA. This helped us and the State Troopers to resolve any disputes that may arise. It they still maintain them, it would be a good resource for you, jcorwin 4278, to find areas that are possibly open. And yes, definatly get in touch with ATA, Randy Zarnky or Pete Buist come to mind. They are defenatly good people.

So since I have to go on foot, does anyone have any suggestions on where to go within 150 miles of fairbanks? If I find a sled, it will be the same area, but just want to do it on snowshoes for now.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more