Thread: Out board repower

Question Out board repower

I am thinking about re-powering my 16' Roughneck. Right now I have a old, cranky 65hp Evinrude with a jet. I need a motor that is more reliable, burns less fuel and I need more power. I also want to be able to switch prop/jet. I was looking at the 90-115hp range. Specifically the Yamaha 2-stroke 90 or 115hp. I can't afford a new motor, so I need to look at the used market. What a solid motor such as the ones mentioned above going to run me? any one else have any suggestions? Thanks (Any one else looking forward to boating season?:-)
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Unless you go to a 4 stroke or direct inject 2 stroke, you can't have more power and better fuel consumption.

I'd say due to it's light weight, and great efficiency, the Tohatsu TLDI 90 would be your best choice. It's a direct inject two stroke and only weighs 300#'s. Unfortunately you are unlikely to find a used one.

Default Better fuel

What I meant was better comparatively, Right now I burn 6gph cursing with any thing but just my self. I figured that I could get a bigger motor, and run it slower, burning less. I was looking a a Yamaha 2-stroke 90, because, A) I have experience with Yamaha and trust them, B) because it is 3 cyl. and only weighs something like 269# and C) because I want to go jet/prop and I know this is fairly easy with no gear or control box changes with the Yami.

P.S. Is that a Tolman Jumbo in your picture? :-)
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

I see what you're saying, you have to run the 65 WOT and running a 90 at say 2/3 throttle should make for fuel savings.

Actually my Tolman is a widebody, but I stretched it to 22 1/2' and put a pilothouse on it, so it looks more like a jumbo. One of these days I'll get it finished.

Smile Wide-body

I've looked at Tolmans alot, nice boats, I hope yours turns out well Thanks for responding.
    Henry Ford

Talking outboard power

I have a suggestion but since I sell GoDevils it wouldn't be ethical for me to voice it.

Default Reed's

Riverboater,

I see you're in Fbnks, have you checked with Reeds Snowmachine and Marine out on Dale road? He had some of the 05 Merc 90hp 2-strokes (last carb'd ones made) and was selling them new for a good price.

I run one on my 18' Alumacraft and it has plenty of power, we ran the Talkeetna and Big Su with 5 big guys and fishing gear. I estimated around 4-5gph running in the mid 20's up and hi 20's/low 30's coming down (with stock 3blade impeller). It's pretty light at around 300 lbs. If I remember right, new price was under $6K.

Might be worth looking into.

AK_BigO

Smile humm...

I'll check into that. Thanks for the suggestions, that is what I was looking for in this post, other ideas.
    Henry Ford

Default Outboard options

I run an 18 X 48 Lowe with a 35 hp Go Devil Surface Drive. On a rocky bottom, like the Chatanika, if the boat floats, it will go upstream. I took 2 adults plus myself into the Minto flats, over Murphy dome last June and only touched the skeg twice. Upstream speeds were 18-20 mph, downstream was 25 to 27 mph and it burns under 3 gallons per hour at wide open throttle. It's tiller steer, but with all the other advantages I'll live with it.

Default Go-devil

What is a ball-park figure on a 35hp surface drive. I have no problem with it being tiller. I have a tunnel on my boat, that is another consideration, I'm not sure how, or if, that would affect the operation of a surface drive. Another concern I have is weight, I looked at Prodrives and I think they are to heavy, if I am remembering right. I also don't think I could afford a surface drive.
    P.S. I saw a guy with a go-devil on the upper Chena last year, every time he hit bottom it sounded like a gun shot. He was hitting bottom in about a foot of water.
    Henry Ford

Default outboard options

Call Stu. He'll have your answers and he doesn't BS.
    Here's his website http://home.gci.net/~godevilalaska/

Smile Thanks

Thank You, I appreciate all your help
    Henry Ford