Thread: Receiver sights for Ruger?

Default Receiver sights for Ruger?

I am looking for a solid, permanent reciever sight to put on my 77. I have seen the sights offered by NECG and XS, both seem to have mixed reviews. Is there anything else out there that I am missing? I prefer hunting with open sights, and want the benefit of a receiver sight on my rifle. Any suggestions, or even some reviews on the sights mentioned above would be helpful.
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

Both XS and NECG are excellent sights. They will fit on the existing integral Ruger rear scope mount. I have both of those sights, on both Rugers and Weaver style mounts and find them excellent. Aperture size can be selected and adjustments are easy and sure. They have limitations as do any iron sights but they are good.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for the feedback, Murphy. I am leaning more towards the XS sight because of the ghost ring. It is my understanding that the NECG aperture holds the windage/elevation adjustments in place. Some of my shooting would require the smaller aperture, but much of the time I would prefer the ghost ring of the XS. There are all sizes of apertures that can be adapted to the XS sight.

using the ghost ring concept you may find the larger aperture to be more effective. light conditions are a limiting factor with iron sights and a small aperture will not give the sight definition necessary for accurate shooting.

if possible, test a small aperture against a darkened target ( not defined with strong light ) and you will be able to determine the size needed for your type of shooting.
    happy trails.
    jh

Try Williams Gunsight. You can switch out aperture sizes if you want one more ghost ring than target diameter:

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/FPpage.htm

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamace View Post
    I am looking for a solid, permanent reciever sight to put on my 77. I have seen the sights offered by NECG and XS, both seem to have mixed reviews. Is there anything else out there that I am missing? I prefer hunting with open sights, and want the benefit of a receiver sight on my rifle. Any suggestions, or even some reviews on the sights mentioned above would be helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Try Williams Gunsight. You can switch out aperture sizes if you want one more ghost ring than target diameter:

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/FPpage.htm
    I have a Williams mounted on a M77 and like it a lot. It has micrometer adjustments and is very lightweight, as it uses aluminum construction. You will have to drill and tap the side of your receiver (2 holes) to mount it, but otherwise it is a great aperture sight.

300 M77 #1.jpg

It just looks right on a M77...

300 M77 #4.jpg
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

NECG.

The best

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    NECG.

The best
    They are very nice sights, but they are heavy and I find them more obtrusive than necessary. Even the very fine sight they are, I prefer the Williams. Obviously YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I went with the XS receiver sight as it seemed most in line with what I was looking for. I use one of their sights on a Mini-14, and have been happy with it. I have to have the receiver drilled and tapped to mount it, I may post a picture when it is done if anyone is interested. It looks to be a sturdy little sight, and came with two aperture sizes. Plus I can buy a threaded aperture that will take any of the Williams style apertures.

I went with the NECG on my .375 African and Alaskan. Andy Hawk did the work and I had him file down the sight to a express v and put a white center line painted on it. I replaced the factory sights due to their lack of correction for elevation.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    They are very nice sights, but they are heavy and I find them more obtrusive than necessary. Even the very fine sight they are, I prefer the Williams. Obviously YMMV.
    This is why I have not ordered one yet. I'm afraid it may block too much vision around it , even though I keep both eyes open. I called Ruger requesting to buy the new rear peep they have on their new scout rifle. They said sorry we don't sell them without the rifle!? I then snydly said.........Oh, I mean the one on my scout rifle broke, I'd like to buy a replacement.............then he asked me for the serial #.............quite upsetting.