Thread: Win a Flight in a P-51 Mustang

Default Win a Flight in a P-51 Mustang

Angel Flight Southeast is running a raffle to benefit their organization. $20 per ticket, $100 for 6. See the link below for information. They also pitch in $500 towards your plane ticket to Orlando. And . . . it's for a good cause.

http://angelflightse.org/Events/P51M...2/Default.aspx

I already bought my tickets!

Would have been awesome to have 5500$ in the mid 40's when they were selling these things off. I cant believe how expensive they are now, I could basicly build a machine shop and manufacture one from scratch for what they go for now.

Yeah, I see them go for $1.5 all the way up to $3.0MM!!!

Of course, if I'd known then what I know now, I also would have bought Apple, Google, and Yahoo stock too . .

The problem is when thoes IPO's release are they actually releasing at penny stock prices or is the price driven up before the regular guy can get it. I mean yea if you bought it at 50$ a share and it went to 100$, you double your money but the total number of shares you would be able to buy at 50$ a share is MUCH less than if you were able to buy at 3 cents a share and it goes to 100$. I am looking forward to the groupon IPO but I am guessing its going to be like 15-20$ a share by the time the little guy can buy and there is not much profit to be made at thoes prices unless you have 100 grand to invest, at best you will double your money for a huge risk. I have been playing the market and it feels like a wash at best.

Last Thursday I flew in the AT-6 Texan in Anchorage in a similar deal. The History Flight outfit is in Anch at Merril feild June 1-14.

http://historyflight.com

They also have a P-51 you can fly but unfortunately it did not come to Anchorage this year so I had to settle for the AT-6...It was awsome!

I got to do a few rolls and the pilot put it throught the paces with me in the front seat very cool and I highly recommend it.

i was over taken by the AT-6 today by pt no name, very cool plane. Cant wait to get a pitts so I can be the hot rod in the sky lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    i was over taken by the AT-6 today by pt no name, very cool plane.
    Makes sense...We were just inland from there for maneuvers. I remember seeing the little su spinning around below.

what is an su?

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    what is an su?
    Little Susitna River

ah, spin training is fun. Or general acrobatics. There is a guy at willow that does acrobatic training in a super decathlon and he is much cheaper than the super decathlon at land and sea at merril.

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Is it difficult to maintain your spatial orientation in acrobatics? I'd love to eventually give it a go, but I don't know if I could "keep up" with the spatial changes.

Loops, hammer heads and spins were not bad. Snap rolls were a little harder to maintain orientation. I did not actually perform any of the manuvers, the instructor did but I was in the front seat and we did spins twice because I need to know thoes regardless of what kind of plane im in. I am looking forward to going out and doing acrobatics again soon. I hope to get the check ride sign off soon, I went out today and was able to do the basic manuvers on my own just fine so just need to study up on some of the knowlage for the check ride.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDREAMER View Post
    Is it difficult to maintain your spatial orientation in acrobatics? I'd love to eventually give it a go, but I don't know if I could "keep up" with the spatial changes.
    No, it's not difficult. You cannot get lost in a loop. It would be difficult to get lost in an aileron roll. You might get lost in a barrel roll the first time or two. And you're a very long way from a Lomchevak . . .

Quote Originally Posted by AKDREAMER View Post
    And, by the way - - - rppearso notes that he was a bit disoriented by snap rolls. Makes me think he might not ever have ridden through one. I don't see how a snap roll could disorient anyone. You might want to know, too, that while a Pitts, and even the little Citabrias, can easily perform snap rolls, the P-51 Mustang cannot.

Mort,
    Why can't a P-51 snap roll? I am not a P-51 driver, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, aerodynamically I don't understand why it can't snap. If its a mater of over stress/G I understand that but not that one can't snap. Am I not considering something?

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    Mort,
    Why can't a P-51 snap roll? I am not a P-51 driver, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, aerodynamically I don't understand why it can't snap. If its a mater of over stress/G I understand that but not that one can't snap. Am I not considering something?

Drew
    My old copy of the "PILOT TRAINING MANUAL FOR THE MUSTANG" (AAF Manual 51-127-5) states the following: The aerodynamic characteristics of the P-51D are such that snap rolls cannot be satisfactorily performed. This has been proved by a long series of test flights. So don't try any snap rolls in an attempt to show that you're the guy who can do them. You'll invariably wind up in a power spin - -- and that's bad. It also advises that, in performing a country loop (a plain ol' loop), the plane must be pulled over the top, otherwise it will climb inverted on its back. Inverted flight must be kept below 10-seconds due to loss of oil pressure and scavenger pump's failure to operate in an inverted position.

My own appraisal is that the 11'-2" prop is located so far from the plane's normal CG --- which is farther aft than in other aircraft we normally fly), coupled with the tremendous torque produced by the power plant/prop combination, the plane's control surfaces are too small to overcome that torrque.

I'm not a test pilot, certainly, and this explanation is simply my SWAG (scientific wild-*** guess).

Roger all. Thanks
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams