Thread: Carlo Creek-Cantwell

Default Carlo Creek-Cantwell

I'm wanting to hike into this area, but I noticed No Trespassing signs along the Parks Highway. I heard there is a four wheeler trail and if there is where is it at? Or can you hike up against the creek itself?
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Not sure where the creek is but most likely it is AHTNA that holds the land.

http://www.ahtna-inc.com/images/cantwell.jpg

If they hold it you can probably get a permit to cross over.

http://sites.google.com/site/ahtnalands/permits

Good thing you brought that up. I probably would have never checked that. I'm going to have to get a permit to cross there land. Thanks. Anybody know trails that access upper Carlo Creek?
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

A few years back I had a friend who left a horse trailer at the Carlo Creek Campground (paid) and two of them headed up stream on horseback. Did a big loop into the Yanert area and down. Had a blast (in July I think). Lots of photo ops. Since then a number of local folks have put up signs, I think mostly to keep hunters out of the area. Up the Parks highway a couple of miles is the Yanert Creek Campground that I use to use every year for hunting. Now the locals have put up a barrier to gravel pit entrance, blocking access to this designated campground (Federal I think). It might be worth while to visit Fish and Game to see where private land versus public lands cross...and to see if blocking off a designated campground is legal. That said, even if it is illegal on the local's part I would be hard pressed to park there without an armed guard to protect my stuff ;-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

From the Pizza Place (park there), walk south next to the Parks Hwy about 200meters then on the east side there is an atv cut through, it will lead you to the Power Line, travel north and look for another atv trail going east up on the ridge just south of Carlo Creek, it will lead you above treeline then you can drop down to Carlo Creek where there are lots of games trails to follow. Again, make sure to get your permit.

If you own a packraft there is a popular traverse in this area named the "Coffee and Pizza Traverse". You can findmore information about it on the packraft forum.