Thread: Ninilchik / Deep Creek Sept

Default Ninilchik / Deep Creek Sept

This will be my first trip to the Ninilchik area and I plan to fly fish the Ninilchik and Deep creek area the first week of Sept. My question is how crowded will it be that time of year. What is the layout of the river? Can you hike upstream very far to get away from the crowds? We hope to target silvers, steelhead, dollys and rainbows. Any favorite patterns for this time of year? Any other words of wisdom.

Charterboat Operator

the Anchor is the only stream that gets any REAL pressure that time of year. u might run into a half dozen or so die hards then, but that will be about it. have fun

egg sucking leaches
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    egg sucking leaches
    PURPLE ONES!!

Are there any good campgrounds in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by MtnGrouseHtr View Post
    Are there any good campgrounds in the area?
    Many. You'll find camping available at any of the streams and a more in between.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    PURPLE ONES!!
    No flash!!!!!

Lots of good water to cover on all both rivers. If you dead drift egg patterns or beads you'll be able to target both dolly's and steelhead. If you don't mind driving 15 mins you can hit up the Anchor River as well. It has lots of access points along the highway to Homer and off the road that follows it down to the beach. If the ADF&G weir is still in (you'll see it just upstream of the old Sterling Hwy bridge) stop in up there and they'll give you the low down on whats been happening on the river. Also you can check the daily weir counts online and they seem to do a prety good job of updating them every day. Remember that you can only fish for salmon below the confluence of the North and South forks of the Anchor or in the lower 2 miles of the Ninilchik and Deep Creek. Upstream of those points it is closed to salmon fishing but you can still fish for steelhead and dollys. It is pretty easy to hike up all three rivers and they are great for flyfishing. Shouldn't have any problems with crowds, especially if you are there during the week. Hope this helps.

What is the closest place to that area where we could book a halibut trip? Is it very productive at that time of year?

deep creek has some outfits, you should be able to get a couple chickens but nothng huge

Charterboat Operator

Default Huh???

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    deep creek has some outfits, you should be able to get a couple chickens but nothng huge
    Actually a great time of year to get some nice fish and even in close. amazing what you can find off the mouthes of the rivers this time of year.
    contact Van Saun Charters, Rod does a great job and knows how to fish!