Thread: kenai dipnetting, tide factor

Default kenai dipnetting, tide factor

Anyone know how the tides effect the dipnetting on the Kenai? This is our first time dipnetting on the Kenai. We have been to the copper river for dipnetting before. Also, will the nets that we used on the Copper work for the Kenai?

thanks for any info!

Some people will say the tides effect fishing and some will say they don't. I have caught just as many fish on a low tide as I have on a high tide. I drive down the beach and fish on the south bank. You will notice when people start to put their nets in and take them out. Most people down there are friendly, just strike up some conversations and take from it what you want.

Post a pic of your nets if you can but they should work just fine. You should see some of these Picasso’s people are using down there, but they work!

Don't forget to clip the tails!! PM me if you have any more questions I would be happy to help.

Thanks for the info! We'll test it out this weekend and let you know how it went

Quote Originally Posted by whodat78 View Post
    We'll test it out this weekend and let you know how it went
    Whoa, I said whoa there, Whodat. You're not going to dip the Kenai this weekend, are you? If so, better consult these regs.
    Say it isn't so.

~tr

What tide is best depends on where you are on the beach. Some places best around high tide, others at low tide, others just after low. First year, drive around and see who's catching where and when. And everyone talks down there, in person. You'll make many new friends and learn a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMonkey View Post
    Don't forget to clip the tails!!
    Yes, before they're either put somewhere out of sight, or moved from where they've been caught. And update your card before you leave the beach, every time. Easier to follow rules than pay fines; they write a lot of tickets down there, and a significant number of the cops are not in uniform (though I've never understood that part).

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    they write a lot of tickets down there, and a significant number of the cops are not in uniform (though I've never understood that part).
    Because it has to do with integrity, of the user not F&G. It is easy to do the right thing if you KNOW you will be punished for not doing it. If a person, with low integrity, thinks they can get away with it they are likely to try. Sort of like a padlock and chain on your off-road vehicles. It is only going to stop the honest people and lazy thieves.

AK Chappy

Default 2011 Kenai River Mouth Tide Tables

btw: NOAA Kenai River Mouth Tide Tables can be found here

~tr

Great info thanks everyone, we are hitting the copper this weekend not the kenai, sorry for misunderstanding