Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ticks in Alaska, no longer a mystery.

Default Ticks in Alaska, no longer a mystery.

Took my lab out today to run some squirrles for dinner, and I was skinin out the head and I found a tick in the ear.

I have found ticks in them on one other occasion, and I have shot 3 or 4 with fleas (like, COVERED in fleas, I grabbed its tail, and when I put it down, I had 20 or 30 on my hand)

Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Yeah, I've heard that people are now finding them on their outdoor pets. Disturbing.
    The smaller that government becomes, the bigger my support for it will be. The opposite is also true.

Very interesting. I had no idea that ticks lived in Alaska...I guess there are many life forms that appreciate the wildlife. I have noticed a rather severe increase in ticks and chiggers (biting mites) where I live in Ohio. They are noticeably worse in the past decade. I wonder what's behind the increase/spread of these blood-sucking creatures?

More blood to suck.

I put in a call to the Alaska Native Heritage Program to see if this tick study is still active. I'll update this post with their response once I receive it. Either way, for "the sake of science," I would send it in and they may be able to leverage your meat collection into something more comprehensive. UAA has teamed with a National Tick Study to investigate what ticks are finding their way here and where they are.... "popping" up. Bahahaha

http://www.alaska.net/~aknafws/tick.html
    Go Big Red! Nebraska Blackshirts.

The tick are a sub-species of the IRS.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    The tick are a sub-species of the IRS.

My turkey is named IRS, it stands for "I'm really stupid" My borthers turkey is 'JAG" it stands for jerkey and gravy, Another one is "FRB" which means, "for roast bird.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I talked to the wildlife biologist, and he said that they pretty much only stay on red squirrels, and never get on humans, and rarely evver get on pets, but are somewhat common on squirrels

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I talked to the wildlife biologist, and he said that they pretty much only stay on red squirrels, and never get on humans, and rarely evver get on pets, but are somewhat common on squirrels
    The fleas, ticks or both?
    I think the bio needs to get out of his cubicle and into the real world!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

A lady I know down in Homer had one on her cat a few weeks ago.
    The smaller that government becomes, the bigger my support for it will be. The opposite is also true.

I moved to AK 6 years ago, since then I have found ticks on 2 rabbits, I was pretty surprised the first time i saw this (about 5 years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    The fleas, ticks or both?
    I think the bio needs to get out of his cubicle and into the real world!
    I know what ya mean.

he was talking about the ticks.

Blessed is the land without ticks. I've only hunted Alaska a couple of times and I don't recall seeing any ticks. Be glad for what you dont have. I live in a southern state and they are almost the official state animal here. I went for a hike in the national forest last weekend, about eight miles, took a few hours, and I had dozens on me in that amount of time. I was picking them off as I hiked. When I got home and headed for the shower, I had 11 on me that were actually embedded. I guess you make up for it with the mosquitos and white socks. Tundra mosquitos there are worse even than swamp mosquitos here. My friend here don't believe me when I say that. Bad as our mosquitos are, Alaska has us beat wings down. The ticks are the trade off.

A biologist actually said this???
    Beware of the emotional vampire that lurks here!

That's probably one of the dumbest staements ever uttered by a biologist.

Do they even know what species of ticks these are or what diseases they carry?
    Now what ?

Well thats a bunch of crap. I live in seward and I have a crazy hunting cat. He loves to be outside hunting. He has gotten ticks from squirels. He has gotten fleas from snow shoe hares. A couple years ago I had many squirels in the back yard. I was shooting them with the pelet rifle. One oldy had what your picture looked like. Not soon after that I had one in my arm pit. My car had 3 or so on his face. Havent been a problem lately. He does bring fleas into the house almost every year.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pblackb592 View Post
    Well thats a bunch of crap. I live in seward and I have a crazy hunting cat. He loves to be outside hunting. He has gotten ticks from squirels. He has gotten fleas from snow shoe hares. A couple years ago I had many squirels in the back yard. I was shooting them with the pelet rifle. One oldy had what your picture looked like. Not soon after that I had one in my arm pit. My car had 3 or so on his face. Havent been a problem lately. He does bring fleas into the house almost every year.
    Wow. I've never had ticks on my car. They must be sucking down oil or gas (instead of blood). Maybe that's why the gas prices are so high these days! I better check under the hood on mine!

I wrote what he said, I was thinkin it was a little hinky....

do they drink diesel too? am i going to need to check my truck?
    Semper Fi!

Global warming. Ticks and fleas are prevalent in south Texas on everything. Just a matter of time before they find their way up north.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast