Thread: Anchorage Area Lakes. Where are the fish?

Default Anchorage Area Lakes. Where are the fish?

I took my son and some visitors fishing this weekend at some local lakes around Anchorage (Cheney, Little Cambell and DeLong). No Luck. We tried eggs, shrimp and small mepps moving to several locations on each lake. We do not have a boat. Any pointers on getting visitors and young kids on some fish on local lakes? Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes, I did check the ADF&G website for stocking info, that is what I used to help decide where to go in the first place.

Ive seen a few trout caught a Cheney. Not sure what they were using. I havent had any success there my self. Typically if you walk towards the back side of the lake where the walk way goes out I see fish close to the banks back there. I have seen them several times just wasnt lucky enough to catch one myself.

Also there were some reports about fire lake here not too long ago and a ton of pike being caught. Not sure if thats what your after but they are in there and its about 20 min drive from Anchorage.

As the water warms up, the trout tend to move to deeper waters and are not as aggressive as they were near ice-out. Fish and game provides some topographical maps of local stocked lakes: I would try finding the deeper areas and fish those heavily. At little Campbell, my favorite spot (and deepest) is on the backside of the lake close to the marshy area (close, not on).
    Download the free Alaska fishing app FISH FINDER for Iphone!
    www.alaskatacklerental.com

Also keep in mind that as soon as the lake is stocked the local poachers come with their buckets and clean out the stockers using hatchery food flavored bait.

At Delong one day there was an old non-white male with a 5-gallon bucket full of 10 inch trout. He pretened to not speak english as I informed him of his law breaking. No matter who you call in fish and game they don't much care to send anyone out to enforce the limits. Within a few days a significant percentage of the road side stocked trout are gone. In front of the dock was a huge school of trout and he was pulling them out by the bucketful. He packed up and left as soon as I started whining about his activities. Pull out a cell phone and they run off.

The best fishing at Cheny is off the weed beds along Baxter/Beaver side. You can't reach that far from shore. Bed head nymphs fished deep when it is hot get some good hookups on the larger older fish in the evenings.

Head to Portage and find the lakes out there. The poachers don't appear to like to drive that far to fill up their buckets.

Give sand lake a try. Plenty of fish to be had there. Although it's been hit pretty heavily there's still alot of fish out there. Been taking the kids out and they have a blast out. Was talking to fg that was out there the other day, he did mention Poachers are out and about but they are cracking down on them and keeping people in check. remember if you take kids out make sure you have harvest tickets for each of them!!

[QUOTE=hunter530;957455]Give sand lake a try. Plenty of fish to be had there. Although it's been hit pretty heavily there's still alot of fish out there. Been taking the kids out and they have a blast out. Was talking to fg that was out there the other day, he did mention Poachers are out and about but they are cracking down on them and keeping people in check. remember if you take kids out make sure you have harvest tickets for each of them!![/QUOTE]

Harvest records are only required when they are fishing for species with an annual limit. Anadromous kings in Cook Inlet, rainbow trout over 20 inches, and sharks (except spiney dogfish)
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Also keep in mind that as soon as the lake is stocked the local poachers come with their buckets and clean out the stockers using hatchery food flavored bait.

At Delong one day there was an old non-white male with a 5-gallon bucket full of 10 inch trout. He pretened to not speak english as I informed him of his law breaking. No matter who you call in fish and game they don't much care to send anyone out to enforce the limits. The best fishing at Cheny is off the weed beds along Baxter/Beaver side. You can't reach that far from shore. Bed head nymphs fished deep when it is hot get some good hookups on the larger older fish in the evenings.

F&G has NO enforcement capability. Call the state troopers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    F&G has NO enforcement capability. Call the state troopers.
    Actually, some are deputized.

[QUOTE=FishGod;957463]
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter530 View Post
    Give sand lake a try. Plenty of fish to be had there. Although it's been hit pretty heavily there's still alot of fish out there. Been taking the kids out and they have a blast out. Was talking to fg that was out there the other day, he did mention Poachers are out and about but they are cracking down on them and keeping people in check. remember if you take kids out make sure you have harvest tickets for each of them!![/QUOTE]

Harvest records are only required when they are fishing for species with an annual limit. Anadromous kings in Cook Inlet, rainbow trout over 20 inches, and sharks (except spiney dogfish)
    You might be correct but I was told directly by fg that day that I needed them for anyone under 16 that is fishing. He even took out 3 of them from his stash and handed them to me. But like I said you could be right but I always carry regardless. He did mention about the 20 inches + though

[QUOTE=hunter530;957571]
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post

You might be correct but I was told directly by fg that day that I needed them for anyone under 16 that is fishing. He even took out 3 of them from his stash and handed them to me. But like I said you could be right but I always carry regardless. He did mention about the 20 inches + though
    One of the Wildlife guys here on base told us that we had to have them for the kids 2 years ago, I just made it a habit to pick them up when I get my license.

[QUOTE=hunter530;957571]
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post

Everyone who has a normal fishing license has a place on the back of the license to record any species with an annual limit. For clarification, the "Sport Fishing Harvest Record Card" is just for Kids under 16, disabled vets, and seniors. Since they do not have any place on their license to record their catch, they use the harvest card. The harvest card is NOT a license. It is a form to record your catch if it has a annual limit. The only species with an annual limit as I stated earlier, is anadromous kings in Cook Inlet, sharks except spiney dogfish and rainbows over 20 inches. All of this can be found on page 3 of the regs.