Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterfowl Autoloader Choice

Default Waterfowl Autoloader Choice

Gents - I NEED to buy a waterfowl auto. I was considering the Benelli M2, Beretta AL390 or the Winchester SX2 or 3. I have no need to shoot 3.5" shells. What gun do you guys recommend? This will be for ducks in the swamps of Mississippi flooded timber.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default Best Autoloader

Hi Jason,

Wow, this question is like asking if a Ford is better than a Dodge or GMC. You'll get plenty of opinions. Fun topic.

I happen to own and love the Beretta Xtrema II autoloader. It is incredibly reliable. How did I choose the Beretta? I suspected I wanted either this one or the Benelli and went to the gun dealer and asked them to put one of each on the counter. I then shouldered each numerous times and looked for ease of action and how it fitted me. I am a very experienced shooter and feel that fit is the first reason to like a gun, given that both are likely very reliable. For me, the Beretta felt like a wonderful pair of elk skin gloves and the Benelli left me adjusting slightly after mounting the gun each time. If it had been the other way, I'd be a Benelli owner now!

Choose the best you think you can afford and enjoy every day in the field with it. Beware of those who offer opinions that one or the other is junk because it simply isn't so. They just get the shells to eject in different fashions, both very successfully. The Winchester Super X autoloader action is also reliable and I happen to have one of those as well.

The beauty of all these brands is that you can choose the one that YOU want...not the one someone else wants you to have....

cheers, Bill

Default Best Autoloader

Hi Jason,

Wow, this question is like asking if a Ford is better than a Dodge or GMC. You'll get plenty of opinions. Fun topic.

I happen to own and love the Beretta Xtrema II autoloader. It is incredibly reliable. How did I choose the Beretta? I suspected I wanted either this one or the Benelli and went to the gun dealer and asked them to put one of each on the counter. I then shouldered each numerous times and looked for ease of action and how it fitted me. I am a very experienced shooter and feel that fit is the first reason to like a gun, given that both are likely very reliable. For me, the Beretta felt like a wonderful pair of elk skin gloves and the Benelli left me adjusting slightly after mounting the gun each time. If it had been the other way, I'd be a Benelli owner now!

Choose the best you think you can afford and enjoy every day in the field with it. Beware of those who offer opinions that one or the other is junk because it simply isn't so. They just get the shells to eject in different fashions, both very successfully. The Winchester Super X autoloader action is also reliable and I happen to have one of those as well.

The beauty of all these brands is that you can choose the one that YOU want...not the one someone else wants you to have....

cheers,
    Bill
    www.ncrc.alaska.com

Default Cleaning

how is the cleaning of the guns...I have not owned a Beretta but heard they are tough to clean? Is the Super X3 reliable?

I don't want a gun that will jamming on me in the blind...

Cleaning the Extrema II is a snap. The main thing would be to keep the gas ports clean, but they're easily accessed when you remove the barrel. Besides that the coating that Beretta uses inside the action and barrel has kept all corrosion and rust down to zero for me, and that's after 2 years of hunting the salt marsh down in South Louisiana.

I'm a benelli fan, and thats what I chose for my gun. Honestly, the fit sold me, everything else was secondary. Its a seriously reliable gun for hunting, and really doesnt' need to be cleaned very much at all. No gas ports to worry about, very easy to maintain, few moving parts. If you can, get a gun that has the camo coating on it. This coating is very good protection for the steel.

Diddo wha Dallen said. I hunted with my SBEII this fall for the first time. I have one dipped in max-4. I ran about 2 cases of shells through it and only sprayed it down with a little rem-oil after each hunt, I never tore it down to give it a good cleaning. That being said, I never had a jam.

Wink

I own various pumps, an auto Remington 11-87, I"'m suprized no one mentioned the Remington SP -10, thats what I would choose. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default SBE

I agree with alot of the above, find the one that fits!!!! I love my SBE, and so does my wife, so I had to buy another!!! So i have 2 SBE's and they both shoot VERY reliably. If you keep it clean, it will shoot 7/8 ounce 2 3/4 shells all day long, and even swallow a 3 1/2 monster when and if you need to!! After a day of shooting, i can clean both guns in about 10-15 min, it is ultra simple. you are looking at quality guns, you will have no problems with either of them I bet, but keeping them clean is required!

I've actually become a slouch as far as cleaning the SBE goes. I used to clean my shotgun religiously after each hunt. It was a neccessity to do with a gas autoloader (had an SX-1 and a 11-87) if you wanted it to be more than a single shot gun. Especially hunting in or around silt or sand. Now, however, I generally clean my shotgun when it really needs it or I feel guilty about not having done it for weeks at a time. The only thing I regularly clean is the little slot on the rear of the barrel chamber that the extractor rotates in. If this is dirty, it can prevent your extractor from sliding which will keep the bolt from rotating and locking. I have no experience with the Berretta 391, but I know its a quality gun. Dont know about reliability if you dont clean it though. Try them out, but I'd stick with one of these two for a waterfowl gun.

Alot of good guns on the market. If you want to spend the money I would go with a Beretta or Benelli.
    I have Beretta 390 and the only thing I don't like about it is it's as tight and reliable today as the day I took it out of the box about 12 years ago so hard to justify it's replacement .

Now I have a BPS 10 gauge that I have to clean almost nightly for it to operate but my Beretta I tote to Sask, SD and a few salt trips here in the state and don't touch her till the end of the season.

Default best autoloader

If money wasn't a problem, my choice would be benelli super eagle 2, but in my opinion one of the best inexpensive autoloaers is the remington 11-87. It is very reliable and relativly easy to take apart and put back together. I have one that must be 15 years old and I have never had a problem with it.

-Eric

Default thanx

thanx guys. I do have a 20 gauge 11-87 premier for upland game. I bought it this summer. I was kinda leaning towards the SX3 now...anyone out there have one and experience with it?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have a Gunsmith friend that lives in Edmonton Alberta and he see's a lot of Winchester and Remingtons in for repair. I use a Remington 11-87, SP-10 and an Ithaca Mag-10. I just bought a Benelli M1 Super 90 and will be giving that one a try this spring. The Benelli's are recoil operated and therefore a little less problematic when it comes to be reliable like the Remington's and Winchesters. I owned an early Model SBE and it blew out the ejector after less than 100 rounds. I heard they have corrected that problem with the SBEII, don't know for sure. This M1 Super 90 will be the test to see if it is any better than the SBE.

grizzeyes

i have 5 seasons with my Beretta AL390. 2 full season hunting in warmer california winters where the gun worked flawlessly in all conditions. I had about 30 shoots per yr. i hunt a private club so we are only allowed to shoot wed. sat and sun. up here in Kenai, i found my 390 breech bolt not sliding and kicking the other shell into the barrel in cold weather but this is where we can be our own mistake by not having the correct lubricant. i found that the gun worked better once i started using Break Free. (black and yellow can). That's what other's told me worked good up here.

i bought my beretta 12ga 3" at Walmart for just over $500.00. All black matte finish and put "the claw" sling on it. i love the way it shoots. The take down is easy to remember. Be careful as on any shotgun that when your going to take out the trigger assembly to make sure it's in the cocked position. (Not already fired) or else you have a good chance once you take the assembly out that a small barrel pin might fall out. i happen to find it outside in the snow after i blew all the crude out.

Wink Sp-10?

Allen how do you like your sp-10, likes, dislikes?I live on the eastern flyway, and started hunting ducks, and geese a few years back, I use various guns ,12 gauges,but have been looking at the sp-10. Any advice? Thanks Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I bought a Stoeger 2000 in Max 4 while I was stationed in New Mexico, for all different uses. First 100 shells I put through it jammed 3 times on me. I was using 2 3/4'' target loads shooting skeet. The book says to use 3'' when breaking her in so my bad. Since then it hasn't let me down.

Stoeger is essentially a poor mans Benelli, they use a very similar action, but the recoil spring is positioned in a different spot I believe. Brand new at Sportsmans Warehouse was $399. For that money with a camo finish and the type of gun it is, I'll take a jam every 100 shots I put through it until she's broke in.

Default Vrmc

Charles Daly VRMC....Great quality for the very inexpensive price...

I went with the Benelli SBEII last year, and it's a sweet shootin' gun. I have a hard time leaving my old Browning A-500 at home, a lot of memories with that ol' gal . . .

SH

Im old school I guess.I cant get away from my trustl beat to death Remington 870 pump.Sold all my winchester 1100's becasue I just beat my guns out in the desert.
    So I finally bought my upland game bird gun this year a Weatherby Athena OU 12 gauge,but I was looking for an autoloader for Waterfowl perhaps and ya'll have some great pointers in here on where I need to start looking into.Good post.Daniel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast