Thread: Strangely quiet this year.....

Default Strangely quiet this year.....

I've noticed that it has been strangely quiet this year in regards to people's thoughts on the low fish/no fish appearances. Is it because we are all just somewhat expecting it, or are most of us fishing less due to high gas prices, etc?

We usually wet our lines before Memorial Day weekend, but not this year

Sad thing is I'm getting used to it. I only started king fishing about 4 years ago after years before that watching great numbers of kings caught. Now I expect to see a handful, maybe a dozen on a GOOD day out of local streams. Coming from a younger fishermans perspective it is disappointing to watch the trend continue, I can only hope the future bears a better tide.

On the positive end of the stick- Reds, silvers, chums and pinks are all doing fantastic! It just feels more and more each year like the road system king is becoming a mystical legend of the deep.

Maybe it is strangely quiet because everyone else is catching fish. Just sayin'

Its not just a road system thing. They are in trouble every where.

Agreed. People must have short term memories because I have definitely noticed a difference in the past couple of years and this one seems to be the worst so far. I realize that we tend to remember things as better than they really were, but lack of kings recently goes far beyond this. Using ship creek for example, I went down on June 7 to fish the incoming tide and in 3 hours of fishing saw one guy fight a small jack before losing it. That was it. I had to admire the dedication of all the people there for such slow action. I remember just a few years back when I would go down during memorial weekend and see several, if not dozens caught on one incoming tide, but know if you see a small handful of fish caught (mostly jacks) its been a good tide. It would be chaos down there by this point up until a couple years ago. I remember feeling like I had a real shot at catching one. Now its like winning the lottery. It was hard to justify fishing ship then, but its almost impossible now with such poor results. Hope the kings return in force like they used. If your lucky enough to catch a king of the road system these days count yourself fortunate because its getting tougher and tougher. At least the reds continue to return in good numbers. Good luck.

I witnessed multiple hook-ups this evening at Deep Creek. I caught and decided to keep a small king (bigger than a jack) which I caught between tides on a blue Vibrax.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I witnessed multiple hook-ups this evening at Deep Creek. I caught and decided to keep a small king (bigger than a jack) which I caught between tides on a blue Vibrax.
    Congrats Sayak............. Perhaps some of those hook ups were the wife and I. I got one and released it. My wife got one she kept and quickly thereafter I landed a second one that I kept. Hers 18.5 pounds, mine 19 in lower Deep Crk. We were down with some freinds and were trying to get them into some kings. We watched for a while and then after reading the regs carefully, I walked down the beach and after half hour walked back with another king about 17 lbs from the salt water. Between the 3 of us we got 5 kings for the 2 days fished.
    The salt water (boats) has fished very well this spring. Early run and quite a few fish. Rivers down here are doing pretty good-catch rate wise. Could be fishermen are getting more efficient. I'ld say this yr will be a pretty descent run. Last yr we were still getting fresh kings in Ninilchik after the July 1st reopening, as the run came late. I think more fish entered the crks after the last wkend opener last yr and what appeared to be a lousy yr last yr turned out to be an ok yr. The telltale sign for me comes later this fall when I can observe the amount of king carrcusses (sp) that come down the river. Everyone should rmmbr... One tide might be a good flood of fish and the next may have very few. Timing is everything....and luck.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

You can't keep 2 kings out of deep creek in one day....even in the salt you have to quit after you punch your fish for the day. Ninilchik and kasilof are the only 2 king per day creeks that I know of on the KP - and one has to be a hatchery fish.

Deep creek has had lackluster returns for the last 4 years - maybe more. The creek is not meeting escapement goals...many aren't or are below the 10 year averages.