Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Busted Down on Parks HWY

Default Busted Down on Parks HWY

I know this may not be the place to post this, but since I was coming back from a Black Bear hunt, I figure this be the place to put this. So the story goes like this, after hunting a few days on the Willow side of Hatchers Pass, and not seeing anything, I was returning home when I notice my truck was not driving right. The brakes were acting pretty spongy. I was on the Parks Highway and pulled over to investigate the problem. I looked at the tires, underneath the truck, my trailer, and could not see anything out of the ordinary. I got back in my truck and as soon as I pulled back onto the Parks, I felt my front left side drop, and watched my front tire go rolling across the Parks, up a hill, then back down the hill, then into the ditch. I was able to quickly get off into the shoulder as best I could to get out of the way of traffic. I first went to retrieve my tire and rolled it back across the highway. I took a look at my wheel rotor, and noticed that a lug stem was completely gone and the rest of the stems had snapped in half. There was no way I was getting my tire back on to drive it safely. I started to walk down the Parks looking for my lugs and a very nice lady pulled over and asked me if I was looking for my lugs. I told her yes, and she said she happened to see them on the road and gave me a lift to go retrieve them. Very nice of her. So waiting for the tow truck, I saw six Troopers blasting by running lights and sirens. About 10 minutes later two of them stopped to help after returning from where they were hauling butt. I asked them where they were going in such a hurry, and he said they were chasing somebody. I told him what happened and he gave me some flares to get traffic to move over a little bit more. The other Trooper thought my buddy was crying because he face was red from being sun burned LOL!! After the tow guy showed up and loaded up my truck and hooked up my trailer we were off to the tire shop. The damage done wasnít as bad as I thought it was going to be. Ended up paying $180 bucks to the guys at Diversify Tire in Wasilla. They did a great job. Also busted my driverís side mirror, but got that fixed for $45 at Speedy Glass. Guys a Diversify said my lugs were loose and not torqued. Just got new tires on the truck a little over a month ago, and never noticed anything out of the ordinary while driving it. They checked all the lugs on the truck and said only a few were tight and the rest loose. I called the tire company that put the new tires on to tell them what happened, and to make sure their employees are torqueing their customers tires. The manager told me that it is probably someone messing with my lugs because I would have noticed right away if the lugs werenít tight when I first got the tires on. I am just thankful nobody got hurt, my truck, trailer and quads didnít get trashed and the repair was very minimal. My wife blames the tire company and wanted them to pay for the damage, but I am not sure if they are to blame or if someone was messing with my lugs or it was just a freak accident. She told me, after I called her about the accident, that the truck was acting weird and the brakes were spongy on Friday when she last drove it. Wish she would have said something before I took off this weekend. If someone did mess with my lugs, I believe in Karma, and you will get yours ten fold, what comes around goes around. You could have caused a serious accident and put some lives at risk. Donít know anyone who would try to sabotage my truck, donít have any enemies. I also want to say this PLEASE SLOW DOWN WHEN DRIVING BY A VECHILE BROKEN DOWN ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!! People on the Parks were 2 feet from the tow driver and speeding like it was the Indy 500. When there are flares and hazard lights on, that usually is a good indication to pay attention and to slowdown. Also of all the people that passed me by, only two offered to stop for help, and they were women in their mid-sixties!!! Has America changed that much in the last 5 years?? Come on people, let us stop once in a while and help out are fellow man. Lesson learned though. For now on, I will be checking my lug nuts more often than I had before. Safe travels everyone.

Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Default Lost wheel

Wow, what a close call. Glad it wasn't worse and that nobody got hurt. Lug nuts are a pet peeve of mine. Twice a year after spring and fall tire season, there are way too many wheel end failures caused by improper installation. Chances are, the poorly trained seasonal tire shop employee ran the lugs down with a airgun instead of a torque wrench and stretched the wheel studs beyond the metals yield point. Over-tightening is just as bad as under tightening. Sometimes the tire shop employees will use a torque wrench after they use the airgun, but it's just for show. If the torque wrench clicks and the nut doesn't turn, the lugs have been over-tightened. They have to be tightened with a torque wrench and they should be re-checked after 150 miles are so.

I doubt it was vandalism. I say the tire shop screwed up. I see it all the time.

Default crazy drivers

not too surprised at your experience with other drivers. in this state it's like some sort of stupid bloodsport.

Ya after thinking about it some more I think they did screw up. The manager said he wasn't going to pay for it because it was a month later. You are right though, check those lugs after 150 miles. The guys at Diversify said to check them about 50-100 miles after you get them on. I was also thinking about the seasonal help too. Wife said there was young kids in there putting on the tires during the change over season, so it seems to point more and more to them, but like I said I am glad everything was rather mild than an Atom Bomb.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

What kind of truck was it? I ask this because back a few years ago the company I was working for bought a fleet of 2006 ford one tons and the wheels keep falling off. Both front and back. The mechanic called the factory and they told him they were having problems with the lug nuts. Their recommendation was to keep extra lug nuts and torque the nuts every morning. Unbelievable

Its not just Alaska that is going this direction with a lack of help. In fact I would say Alaska is among the better places for getting help when you have a problem. I sat on a highway with a bad distributor, 50 miles from no where and had two cops drive by me with my hazards on, two of us in the truck and neither one of them stopped. The fact that only the two 60+ year old women stopped is a sign that things started to change 60 years ago, not 5 years ago.

Anyway, glad to hear things faired for the best given the circumstances. I was riding in a work truck once that started shaking like crazy. I remember my old man telling me just what you said about checking lugs a few miles after changing tires. I told my boss to pull over because if felt like a lose wheel. Turns out the guy who had driven it before us had a flat, changed the tire but didn't get the lugs tightened right. We were seconds from losing the tire as the lugs were almost off. Coaldust also has great info to provide. I never thought about over tightening. Good to know for sure considering I do my own work.

Thanks for the post and the reminder and once again glad to hear you came out okay and your equipment survived. I'll keep diversify in my book of places to look for if I need something.

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    not too surprised at your experience with other drivers. in this state it's like some sort of stupid bloodsport.
    I've lived in Europe, Asia, and 2 states on the L48. Hands down, without a doubt, the worst drivers in the world are in Alaska.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Little towns have very good polite drivers.Big rat race towns are well rat races
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I've lived in Europe, Asia, and 2 states on the L48. Hands down, without a doubt, the worst drivers in the world are in Alaska.
    Unless one of those states was New Jersey or Florida you have no idea what bad driving is.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineEarl View Post
    Unless one of those states was New Jersey or Florida you have no idea what bad driving is.
    Or Virginia.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineEarl View Post
    Nope, my vote is for France AND Italy.

Germany has the best drivers in the world; with no/few speed limits, all the bad drivers are dead.

Just wondering if your wheels are aluminum? Aluminum wheels are known to have a little bit of give and must be re-tightened after 50-100 miles.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Nope, my vote is for France AND Italy.

Germany has the best drivers in the world; with no/few speed limits, all the bad drivers are dead.
    I second that lived in italy for two and a half years been to alot of place in the L48 and worst drivers are in Georgia been tio VA FL CA NJ they all have bad TRAFFIC but the worst drivers are in GA and the best drivers are not on america ....................but as far as stopping to help somebody,Amigo is right smaller towns are better about that .I will stop to help when ever I can .........but I am not gonna lie I always think about the scum that use the good nature of people to take advantage and there seems like you always hear those horror stories, but for not slowing down there is no excuse thats not bad drivers just inconsiderate and careless individuals

People wont stop to help you when they can see other people around the city boy mentality aka im in a hurry, someone probably helped all ready.

My favorite is loosing my fuel pump in the middle of no where montana (30 miles from plentywood, 20 miles from glendive). Any way, the ol blue bronco liked to eat fuel pumps so i always carried a spare. Any way, it took me almost an hour to get the pump out because people would stop and then want to chat "say, you aint from around her, no mam/sir... where ya headed... oh nice country there know larry??" I actually had a trooper stop and ask if i needed help and i said yes, would you please shoo the gawkers along. So he did, and also took of his utility belt and climbed under the truck with me. Way cool dude.

This post brings up another point though. I wonder if some person would go to a trail head and sabotage a truck or two. All you need is a lug wrench.

That`s one helpless feeling, that`s for sure.

I would put all the blame on the tire shop for any of the stated reasons already given.

I took the used F150 I used to own into Lithia-jeep since I had some used truck warranty left on it at that time. It needed all four disks turned and new pads. The front disks were grooved and I was pretty sure they might even have to replace them rather than turn them down. When I dropped the truck off in the morning the service manager was quite the pile of stoopid. I clearly stated that the rotors needed to be turned and he replied that they would determine if that was the case. I replied that since they are all grooved they will need to be turned. He looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my forehead - how dare I, a mear short fat old guy, tell tall and good looking kid with a silk tie what is required! He's the gosh darn service manager and knows it all! The smirk on his face was worthy of a hard kick in the nads.

About three hours later he called my office and informed me that all four rotors were grooved and needed to be turned. I said that is what I told him to do at 7am when I dropped the truck off and why are you calling me about it? He had no reply, but still asked for my permission to perform the work. I said I gave him that permission at 7am when I dropped it off. He mummbled a thank you or something.

I go to pick the truck up at 5pm and only make it two miles before I think I am rear ended on Tudor in the stop and go traffic. I pull up onto the curb and notice my truck is leaning kind of funny. I get out and see my left rear tire is off and my rotor sitting on the asphalt. The lug cap is gone and no lug nuts are in sight. What the? Before I was even able to think a cop was pulling in behind me and bocking the lane to get traffic to move over. I found one lug nut just behind where he had set up his car and once the tow truck had gotten there he was able to lift it up and we used the one lug nut to get the wheel mounted.

Comment on Anchorage Traffic: The cop had to get back into his car and drive it into both lanes to get traffic to stop for the tow truck to turn around. Nobody was stopping for the cop while he was out of his car and people were trying to go around him as he motioned for them to stop. If you don't stop and let the tow truck do its job then the traffic jam behind my three wheeled truck stays until well into the night you pile of F - Tards.

We took it back to Lithia-Jeep and due to the damage to the lug holes on the wheel they replaced it and repaired some minor body damage the wheel did to the fender flair when it popped off. They even paid for a 5 day rental vehicle.

As I was standing in the shop going over what happend and what was going to happen the stoopid service manager looked at me and said, "I can't believe you're not mad."

I said, "I know four old guys at work that have all been test driving new Jeeps and are planning on buying them. However, they all are so bad at maintaining rigs that they would have to buy a service plan to go with the new rig. By tomorrow morning they will all learn that your service department can't correctly install lug nuts, so what else can you not do? So that is four new rigs you will not be selling this week, next week, or probably ever. Soon the story will spread to several other people so the number of vehicles you will not be selling anytime soon will be much more than my four coworkers. But you don't think I'm mad?"

Funny that he no longer had a smirk on his fresh young face.

As for stopping on the highway. I don't do it unless the folks are waving me down. If they are just standing there and not flagging then I keep going since it appears that they have things handled. Many years ago a bunch of us pulled over to help out a freshly disabled car and our group of four trucks caused a huge issue with everyone that was coming up to the area from either direction. Within 20 minutes the Parks was completely blocked by traffic all for a couple of older ladies with a flat tire. Seriously unsafe conditions to have created.

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post

Have you ever been to Naples italy? their the worst drivers in the WORLD..

Try driving in and around Cleveland and Columbus Ohio. I have been run off the roads and cut off way to often. I look forward to getting away from Ohio clown college drivers and getting to Fairbanks permanently in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    Try driving in and around Cleveland and Columbus Ohio. I have been run off the roads and cut off way to often. I look forward to getting away from Ohio clown college drivers and getting to Fairbanks permanently in the near future.
    Cinncinati, Columbus, Cleveland ... the further north you go, the worst the driver.

The reason people are so unhelpful these days is becaus of 'frivolous lawsuits'. People are afraid of being sued for helping there fellow man. There's people out there who would let you die before performing CPR because if they do it wrong, 'they're afraid you'll sue them'. I'm not surprised ... "in the last days, the love of many will wax cold".

Diversified Tire is wonderful, they fixed our ford expedition and gave us a rental.. I told them what we were doing with heroes this summer, they thanked my wife and I immensely and made certain our heroes were transported safe and sound to the hunting areas.. their service is awesome and I will use no other shop for my 4 vehicles.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast