Thread: steel targets

Default steel targets

So what is a good source for steel targets in Alaska? I talked to MGM and Action Targets and both of them wanted more for shipping than what I was going to pay for the target.

Check with a small-time welder who has access to scrap. A few years back I had a local guy make up a set of ten 5" plates for falling plate practice and spent less than $100. If you can find a source for the right steel and a cooperative welder, the price plummets.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Check with a small-time welder who has access to scrap. A few years back I had a local guy make up a set of ten 5" plates for falling plate practice and spent less than $100. If you can find a source for the right steel and a cooperative welder, the price plummets.
    Building your own is definitely the preferred method--cost wise anyhow. A piece of steel plate and some means for it to stand or hang and your good to go...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I will have to look into this then, I've got a source of AR500 and 550 plates for fairly cheap who will also ship in flate rate boxes. Anyone have any recomendations for welders in the Fairbanks area?

Look around for a scrapped Cat. Use the track shoes. Also, look around for a scrapped grader cutting edge. Both the shoes and cutting edge will withstand repeated hits from .50 APIT; from experience.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by robkroupa View Post
    I will have to look into this then, I've got a source of AR500 and 550 plates for fairly cheap who will also ship in flate rate boxes. Anyone have any recomendations for welders in the Fairbanks area?
    Care to share a link?

I bought a bunch through a group buy on 24hr. Check it out.

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...pics/5312059/1

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Care to share a link?

I bought a bunch through a group buy on 24hr. Check it out.

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...pics/5312059/1
    The prices aren't as good as that group buy but they aren't horrible.
    http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=1020|1022

Well I broke down and order one of the IPSC style targets from that group buy. And I already sketched up a stand to hold it. Next step is to find a welder when I get back home.

Quote Originally Posted by robkroupa View Post
    Well I broke down and order one of the IPSC style targets from that group buy. And I already sketched up a stand to hold it. Next step is to find a welder when I get back home.
    Your welcome

Lemme know how they turn out!! I couldn't justify ordering MORE, but those IPSC targets were indeed tempting...