Thread: Ptarmigan/grouse Weapons

Default Ptarmigan/grouse Weapons

Moving to Alaska soon and was wondering if I need a shotgun or if I can use my .22 to kill fool chickens?

Default Options

A stick or a rock will often do in a pinch....

Yup, both work fine...unless they are flighty, you usually set how challenging you want the shot to be....

Default No need for a shotgun?

So it sounds like I will be able to use anything to kill grouse. In my first question I was actually asking if I was legally required to use a shotgun for small game birds, that is what I was trying to ask anyway. I am glad I don't need a shotgun, I prefer my Browning Buckmark for grouse.

Default clarification

When i said both will work fine I was actually referring to the firearms, not the sticks and stones. I like using my Henry 22 but I know a bunch of folks that like to wing shoot...(or ground sluice depending on hunger levels), Don't quote me, but legally, anything other than a centerfire is legal....no shotgun requirement. Sometimes I like to spot grouse on trees, lakeshores etc. then walk up to them with the gun ready...sometimes it's just like trap shooting as they sit tight quite a while....then explode up and you choose how hard you want the shot to be....I usually wait....saves on meat...and I'm not that quick.

Check the adf&g website for all the regs.

Mark

You're right. In other areas of the country it's only legal to take upland fowl with a shotgun like it is with waterfowl, but not here.

Since my lovely wife has a real problem chewing pellets, she insists that I use a .22 on upland birds. And since ptarmigan/grouse up here (except ruffed grouse) tend not to fly off like quail, a .22 works quite well.

I carry .22 handguns with me. When just wandering about I carry a S&W Airlite (only 8 oz), but when snowmobiling specifically for ptarmigan, I carry a scoped Ruger 22/45 Target in a bandolier holster.

Default dogs

a .22 works fine if you are in it just for the meat, but I like to hunt with my dogs so they point and hold and then flush and I wing shoot em with my 12 ga. I know its a lot of extra work but its a heck of a lot of fun. But once the snow flies and Ptarmagan turn white hunting with dogs becomes a real fun trip.

Byrd, would you mind giving a bit of geographical information on your ptarmingan hunting. Having just moved hear from the midwest, I have felt guilty not taking my labs hunting, but I have not really known where to go. I do have snowmachines here so any info you would give would be great.

.22 or a rock, bow and arow just about anyhting, works great early in the saeson but late winter they get flighty. I like a 20ga for late season.

i just moved up here, and didn't bring along a 22rf. probably the biggest mistake i made, as far as what to bring. i've been using my 12ga, but i am always wishing i had brought along my marlin. the shotgun has been nice at times, but they're sometimes so spooky i can't get within 75 yards of them.

it really is a lot of fun, though. some days the flocks are in the hundreds here(some days i've guessed that they were in the thousands). the first time i went out, i didn't even know what to do. i was in awe at the sheer numbers. but i got over it.

Default Thats a lot of birds

Quote Originally Posted by schloss View Post

it really is a lot of fun, though. some days the flocks are in the hundreds here(some days i've guessed that they were in the thousands). the first time i went out, i didn't even know what to do. i was in awe at the sheer numbers. but i got over it.
    It sure sounds like a lot of birds. I will definately bring my .22. In north Idaho it is predominately ruffed grouse, usually seeing no more than 4 at a time. Although one instance years ago I was test riding a motorcycle I had just bought, when I came around the corner of a logging road and there stood 37 grouse. Of course I was weaponless except for a couple of sticks. No grouse meat that day.

Hey Bigswede ,
    .22 LR , the way to go . If ya got dawgs , and ya like knockin em outa the air then i can see how you'd wana spend that buck a pop . My self , even at the .03 cents a pop bush price's for .22 ammo by the brick , is just to fun to pass up.
    I moved up in dec. of 99 to Fort Yukon . Not being a resident yet a small game lic. is all i'd spring for . Found me a .22 lever in Fairbanks for 250 ... well this is alaska where a dollar go's as far as you can throw it against the wind . But after a few 1000 rounds i dont mind anymore . Up there most time's i'd come across (tarmagin) 2 - 6 at a time , walking away with 2-4 . Did spook up about 12 once . They flew up to the tree tops about 100 yds away , i snuck up under em and came out with 7 . Way much easyer to see ina tree lol . I picked off 4 ona trail once , found 3 right off the bat and spent 20 mins looking fer #4 . I'd walked within 12" of it 3 times . Man those thing's can "become the snow" . lol
    When i was in mcgrath you could run yer 4 wheel'r out the road and spook up grouse in the non-winter month 10-30 at a time . Hop off and they'd be not much more than 50-75 yrds back up ina tree sumwur .
    Down here in the southeast ya gota take a long-neck with ya and hoot fer em cuz the brush is so thick . But bigest dam chickin's i ever seen .
    Word to the wize . If you are runing amuck (in the non-winter month's) with a .22 in the bush of alaska ya'd best have a hog-leg straped to yur ... um well you know . I carry a ss.44 and would much rather have the 45-70 , but at 1000 buck's i'll have to wait till better days .
    One last thing b4 you come , Canadian boarded gaurds don't care for gun's or amaricans , don't mix the 2 at the boarder . Have your paperwork done 1st , know all the answers , or better yet ship'em .

Put yer dancin shoe's on baby , we going to Alaska

I have caught two with my bare hands. Run over one with my snogo, and nailed another with the tip of my ski. I have even scared a couple to death. Thought I hit'em, but when the wife was cleaning, there were no marks anywhere on their bods. They are dumb.

Depending where I am, I have used a .22 pistol, or .22 rifle. Most folks I know use the rifle. As it was posted, if you want to catch in a hurry, a 12 ga will do.

My most fun rig is a 10/22 with Burris 3x9, floated barrel, Kidd match trigger assembly, CPC bolt, Ti firing pin and handle. Head shots are routine at 25 yards with Remy standard velocity.

Default 22/12 gauge

Sounds like a lot of good chicken hunting. My wife and I will probably each bring a 22pistol and a pump 12 gauge. Best of both worlds. Besides I just picked her up a Mossberg pump 3" last weekend for 150 at a gun show, to good to pass up.

I like shotgunning so thats what I use but a .22 will work just as well if not better
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.