Thread: Easy to use Duck Call

Default Easy to use Duck Call

80% of my duck hunting is jump shooting. Occasionally I'll get the opportunity to sit in blind with a buddy. On these rare occasions I bring my duck call. It has no markings and I couldn't even tell you where it came from. One thing I can tell you is that "I" can't make it sound like a duck. I know this because Iíve had more than one friend offer me advise on how to use it and even used it themselves to make legitimate sounding duck calls. Iíve watched lots of videos and had hours of practice in the field but for some reason I can't get this call to work for me.

NowÖ I'm looking for advice on what call you guys would recommend. Iíve seen them from $20-$250. Not looking to spend more than $35. I know the more expensive ones might sound better but I just want to be able sound respectable in a blind.
    Thanks for the help guys.

My first call was a Primos Timber Wench. Cheap but durable and sufficient. I think it was less than $15. I'd still have it if I hadn't dropped it out of my waders in a prairie pothole in northwest Minnesota. To replace it I bought a Sean Mann Express Double Trouble. It too is easy to blow even though everyone elses rendition of a duck is much more realistic than mine (on both calls). The DT is $35 but I bought it from the bargain cave at Cabela's for $20.

Even the best made calls will sound like a kazoo if the reeds are messed up.

The Primos series of calls sound alright most of the time and are cheap so you can get a couple of them to play with.

The cheap RNT "hunter" calls sound really good until you get the reeds messed up. Mine tends to load with moisture and sticks.

Haydels are loved by a lot of people and the D85(?) is a primary back up call for them if their custom competition call falls apart mid hunt.

The Double Nasty is fairly inexpensive and somewhat easy to blow. Is that a Primos? I can't remember. Anyways, single-reeds are going to be tougher when you're starting out. I rely on playing the wind and a good blind so that I don't have to rely on my sorry duck calling skills. Anything beyond a howdy quack is rather beyond my ability, but the dog still gets a few ducks in her mouth. Shoot, my uncle is an excellent caller and he couldn't turn any birds when he was up here with me. They're flying (as we said sometime recently) in familial groups and aren't interested in anything besides the mama duck and food. Figure out how to make some good feed chuckles and welcome quacks and you should be set. (Oh, and paint your greenhead decoys brown).
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

double reed will stick more often too especially if you spit alot into your call when your calling. i would stick with one of the primos calls either the wench or the yo sista.
    Kwackkillncrew's highly intoxicated guide service
    Ducks, Bulls, and bows and you'll do it drunk!!
    Alaska Swamp Man Prostaff

Thanks guys. These are the things I think about in the off season... it's kind of a sickness.

All these ducks calls with names....its only a marketing ploy - learn to tuned your call and you will become a master in no time with even the cheapo "hand em out free" calls.

Also learn to blow from your lungs and not your cheeks

I have a PS Olt in Wood and it rocks, its probably 25-30 years old and still going strong. I'm just not buying a call that is named Yo sista, or the double nasty, bill collector, Wench etc. The RnT calls definately sound nice - but to me a stinky ole alaskan duck aint worth that price!

you fellas all been tricked by the marketing folks

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    learn to tuned your call and you will become a master in no time with even the cheapo "hand em out free" calls.
    Where is the "hand em out free" call store? I haven't seen it or I'd report on that part of my arsenal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    All these ducks calls with names....its only a marketing ploy - learn to tuned your call and you will become a master in no time with even the cheapo "hand em out free" calls.

Also learn to blow from your lungs and not your cheeks

I have a PS Olt in Wood and it rocks, its probably 25-30 years old and still going strong. I'm just not buying a call that is named Yo sista, or the double nasty, bill collector, Wench etc. The RnT calls definately sound nice - but to me a stinky ole alaskan duck aint worth that price!

you fellas all been tricked by the marketing folks
    i would have to disagree with you....i will give you a free hand out "cheapo call" you can try to tune it and my call will still sound better
    Kwackkillncrew's highly intoxicated guide service
    Ducks, Bulls, and bows and you'll do it drunk!!
    Alaska Swamp Man Prostaff

http://www.duckcommander.com/store/i...product_id=749

The only one I bought cost $12.50 back then when Phil only sold them in LA. This is a easy to use great sounding call, I still kill ducks with it as I have for the last 14 years.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Also get one of the adjustable whistle calls. This is my favorite

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104311080

Whistle calls are especially effective on teal. Many times you can get them to swim into range if they are at the other end of the pond. That particular call makes a great pintail whistle, will make a drake mallard whistle with some practice, and is also very effective on wood ducks if you are lucky enough to hunt them in the lower 48.

Hen mallard calls are everybody's main call. But when someone in an adjacent area is blowing their kazoo you might be able to call the ducks in with a few whistles.

You make a good point that Double Nasty is a ridiculous name for a duck call. You also bring up a good point that Olt calls last forever. I buried one with a dog a few years ago and I'd say you could dig it up and still call in ducks with it. But for $12, a plain old plastic Primos will make as many duck sounds as someone of my ability needs to try. He said he wanted "easy to use," and even you would have to admit that the Olt is not one that can easily be made to sound like a duck. Too much air required and too prone to get wet and swell (or freeze and drop the lower half off in the swamp somewhere).
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

l like the duck commander 85. cheap and great sound.
    Alaskan Bowhunters Association
    President
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK 99502

I'll second that on the duck commander calls. I use acrylic, I have more calls than I know what to do with, but that is only a preference. The DC calls are well built for beating them up and not worrying about the cost. All calls take a little practice everyone is a little different. I was recently at a outdoor store that had a huge selection of calls and DC was almost up there with the acrylics. They are reasonable priced and everyone that I have blown sounds good. The reeds are also fast enough to get a good chuckle up on step. GOOD LUCK and have fun with it.

I think the feeding chuckle is the most important call MOST of the time. Best easiest most dependable chuckle call I know of are those rubber shaker calls, even better if you have a couple of them.

I usually always recommend the Haydel DR-85 to people wanting a cheap good sounding duck call that is easy to use. The double nasty is a good one too. I like to carry a single reed, a double reed, and a whistle. Just go down to your local duck pond and listen to the birds and take note of the sounds they make when they are resting, feeding, or greeting ducks coming in. There is nothing like getting instruction from live ducks.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs