Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Where to find shale (or similar rock)?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    282

    Default Where to find shale (or similar rock)?

    I am trying to find a nice cache of shale rock, or rock similar in depth, with which to put on the hearth in my cabin. So far, all I've found are random pieces. At this rate, I'll never get the wood stove in place!

    Does anyone know a good spot in the Valley where I can find shale? I've gone up the Palmer side of Hatcher Pass, but didn't find what I was looking for there. All the rock there was too big/heavy

  2. #2
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    Have you investigated the old buffalo mine on the North side of palmer, Sutton I guess.
    Haven't been up there in a while but there was some nice rock up there, lots of fossils too.
    BK

  3. #3

    Default

    Hope Road...available in Fireplace size 30" chunks down to 3" size pieces. We call it Greyrock. On both sides of the road and on the beach.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Have you investigated the old buffalo mine on the North side of palmer, Sutton I guess.
    Haven't been up there in a while but there was some nice rock up there, lots of fossils too.
    BK
    No, actually I don't even know anything about that place. lol Sutton, yes. The old buffalo mine, no. Is it hard to find?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Hope Road...available in Fireplace size 30" chunks down to 3" size pieces. We call it Greyrock. On both sides of the road and on the beach.
    Awesome! Thank you!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Can someone please tell me how to get to the old buffalo mine to find this shale? Can we take a regular 4wd truck in there to get it?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    I am trying to find a nice cache of shale rock, or rock similar in depth, with which to put on the hearth in my cabin. So far, all I've found are random pieces. At this rate, I'll never get the wood stove in place!

    Does anyone know a good spot in the Valley where I can find shale? I've gone up the Palmer side of Hatcher Pass, but didn't find what I was looking for there. All the rock there was too big/heavy
    How big you looking for? It is all over the place. The whole valley is glacial till sediments. You probably can't dig anywhere in the valley and not hit some shale. Depends on what size you are looking for. Are you talking little stuff the size of silver dollars, or are you talking the stuff that's 2-3 feet around that can be used for making steps?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In my RV on the road less traveled...
    Posts
    147
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    282

    Default

    We went up Buffalo Mine Rd and didn't find anything other than river rock. We then went up Jonesboro Rd in Sutton and found a good bit of shale/slate, I think we've now got enough to do our project. It was hard hunting though, lots of large, heavy rock there as well.

    What we found on Hatchers in regards to this type of rock was more dense than what I was looking for, and very silver in color. We were/are looking for the dark gray slate that is lightweight and thin....doesn't seem as easy to come by anymore!! Especially when you need larger pieces (ex 12" average).

    We plan to do the lower exterior portion of the house next summer but I'm guessing that instead of putting shale/slate out there too that we will end up going with the ugly ole river rock just for lack of availability in the former. :-(

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •