Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adak outfitter

Default Adak outfitter

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with an outfitter/transporter named Darren Byler's Alaskan Adventure Tours? I have an Adak caribou hunt booked in the fall and just found out that there may be some issues with this guy. I saw in some old forums that he booked way too many hunters last year and really hammered the herd. I have a bad feeling about this. Any feedback would be appreciated.

shoot me a pm and i'll tell you what i know, but in heres probably not the place.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Two things: 1 - We do not permit negative comments about individuals in the forums. For those replying, a PM might be appropriate. Some have pushed the limits on this rule lately, so I just wanted to throw that out there.

2- There is quite a bit of info in the forums about the current status of Adak caribou. Do a search for "Adak" or "Adak Caribou" and you'll likely find what you're looking for, or at least some people to send private messages to.

Thanks!

-Brian

Thumbs down alternate plans and doing due diligence before booking

DPSESU;

if you have bad feelings, then follow your instincts. do you have good judgement and coomon sense? are you tracking with me...

Lightbulb good comms

dpcpsu

try the email on my profile. p.m.'s are a mile thick.

Cool the importance of checking hunt reports

i said email , not p.m. or you can open the email function in your profile and i will email you.

i think you know what you need to do anyway. if brwnbear has not contacted you, i can cybermail a brick to you to knock some sense into you...

lol@brick i like that one, wasnt' aware we had that feature in here....dang it.
    Master guide 212

Master guide 212

this one too...scroll down and you'll get an eye full...

http://forums.huntingclub.com/eve/fo...6/m/4181050742
    Master guide 212

heres alot of diffrent reviews so you can compare the one in question to others

http://www.huntinfo.com/reviews/outf...bmit_action=Go
    Master guide 212

Lightbulb

d.p.c.p.s.u,;

the o.d.d. resident expert on adak is mark wagner. he is a member here and goes by the username "wags" his web site is bootbay guide service or you can reach him here thru p.m.. mark is a veteran outfitter on adak.

he was there on adak at me the time when byler was there as well and can fill you in.
    mark's cell is 253-927-5135 for anyone wishing to speak with him

hope that helps.
    Last edited by cold zero; 03-09-2007 at 04:19. Reason: added tel. # for member convenience

Default huntinfo.com

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    heres alot of diffrent reviews so you can compare the one in question to others

http://www.huntinfo.com/reviews/outf...bmit_action=Go

personally i would take anything read on that site with a grain of salt. let's say that it is not fair nor balanced. many outfitters are paid advertisers there...

good resource tools include n.a.h.c. outfitter reports or better yet the hunting report newsletter issues and hunting reports.

well if he's a paid outfitter there the reviews sure don't reflect it!
    Master guide 212

Wink

brwnbear;

i said if he is one of their paying advertisers, then they will not post any negative info' about him.

i like my reports straight, not spun , withheld, etc.

i know this about this site from personal experience. i would take anything on that site with a grain of salt. without respect to the current topic. the outfitter i was referencing later lost his license and they would post nothing about him. not fair and balanced. the same could be said of the alaska professional hunters assoc'. they too are a waste of time and do nothing to police there rogue members.

sorry if i did not make that clear.

no worries CZ, i'm not booking with anyone on there! ya aphn hasn't impressed me much on some issue, been tossing around the idea of becoming a memeber but for 200 bucks a year seems like i can do something better.
    Master guide 212

Thumbs down dam a.p.h.a.

brwnbear;

one of the things that i check when researching and outfitter is membership in the a.p.h.a., if they are i have to start all over again...

i gotta say i know a few guides that are apha members and are super guys and run fantastic outfits...kinda the one bad apple thing again. not all are bad...but then again how on earth do you know which ones are and aren't, no one says i'm bad. i read a web sight the other day this guide claims to be in the top 1% of alaskan guides, dang i thought, looked him up. he got his license in 2005, had his business for two years and he figures he's in the top 1%, sounds like he needs an APHA membership! lol
    Master guide 212

Wink

the a.p.h.a. is a club that has interest in protecting it's members and promoting their members business. that's fine, but they are definetly not for protecting or helping the traveling hunter.

an example of a professional assoc' that runs properly would be the guide outfitter assoc' of british columbia.

as for checking outfitters out, i do have my ways and they are as thorough as an i.r.s. auditor. we are not atlking throwing darts at the wall with a brochure on it. i am like a vacumn, if there is dirt, i will uncover it.

i must be doing something right, i am getting the shaft a lot less often than i used to. then again, i hunt a lot less than i used to also....

dirt....everyones got dirt, just some its less deep than others! there are alot of ways to find out where your looking at spending money, i wish more clients would go thru the hoops to do it. i hate seeing someone get scammed when a guy who runs an honest outfitts has to leave a spot empty cause he coudlnt find someone to fill it...
    Master guide 212

Default Adak Info

Hi,

I was out there last October, and will be there again in about three weeks. I would be happy to answer your questions via private message.

What I can tell you is that he did not have a refuge permit to operate in that area last year. I don't believe he has one this year either, though he was advertising Adak caribou hunts at the SCI national convention in Reno this year. I went to his booth there personally and picked up a brochure and even watched his video on Adak caribou hunting that I believe was taken last year.

If you are looking for a reputable operator out there I'd refer you to Mark Wagner of Boot Bay Guide Service. He's one man who is doing it right, and he has been well received in the community out there. Seems really solid. I met him last fall out there and spent some time talking about the situation out that way. If you want to whet your appetite for Adak caribou, visit his website, listed above.

On the other hand, Mark would be among the first to say that the situation out there for big record book bulls has really changed in the last couple of years. It's not what it was three or four years ago.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast