Thread: Sitka Gear... Is it worth the money?

Default Sitka Gear... Is it worth the money?

Just wondering how people feel about the sitka gear and if it is worth spending the money on it. . If the sitka gear is worth it what do you recommend...90% jacket/pants etc. Thanks for the help.

Yes Its worth it IF you can find it on sale or slightly discounted. I have the Celsius Jacket and I love it. Barney's sports Chalet In Anc has a good variety. Also check this site from time to time. I got my jacket for $136
    http://www.camofire.com
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

In my experience it is a definitive NO. I have a couple jackets and I am on my second set of their pants due to the first set self destructing. The second set has seams pulling loose after minimal wear. I do like their camo patterns but the animals seem to not care one way or the other. I can find better constructed gear for less money by just going with great technical backpacking gear. Kiuiu looks interesting though

Quote Originally Posted by MT_SLDR View Post
    Just wondering how people feel about the sitka gear and if it is worth spending the money on it. . If the sitka gear is worth it what do you recommend...90% jacket/pants etc. Thanks for the help.
    I have a lot of great Sitka gear, and for the most part I like it. My favorite pieces are the celsius jacket and the Ascent pants. (Unlike Lujon my Ascent pants have held up fine). I have Sitka baselayers as well, and although I don't think they're are as good as merino wool, they seem to wick moisture well and work as they were designed. I had a set of the older 90% and it wasn't nearly as good as what they're producing now, so I sold it on Ebay for enough to upgrade. I don't think Sitka is worth the retail price, but if you can get it discounted a bit get some and try it out.

Other options are available as well, such as Kuiu, Russell, and the new Kryptek gear will be available later this summer. I have several pieces of Russell APX G2 gear that I like better than a lot of Sitka gear I've used, at a fraction of the price. There are several guys here that used the Kuiu gear this Spring with positive results. You can contact Larry Bartlett about Kryptek. He's used it extensively in some downright nasty terrain.

Like said in an early post, if you find it on sale, yes, if not, NO!

The only good sitka gear is BigHorse
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Hate to put a "plug" in, but I want a set of the Kryptek Gear... those have some very nice construction and was made with conditions, wear and tear .. in mind.. and its a Veteran Owned business.. My Sitka has held up well, But I won't be buying another set at the current prices, Krytek is aimed lower in cost. and will have the Mothwing pattern.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Does the "Made in China" tag bother anyone else? $100+ for a shirt and it comes unraveled after 1 wear. My answer would be NO. I think there is much better quality out there at a lesser price
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Like Northway, I've been satisfied with SitkaGear - most of which i've bought during end-of-season discounts, but the discount makes all the difference.
    I know that some have had issues with Sitka, and I've had problems too.
    Sitka has always been good about responding to the issue. I think as they caught up with their success, they've had fewer problems, but they had plenty of issues when their gear started getting popular... I think it was 2008 when Cabelas picked up Sitka?
    Others have had fit issues too.

SitkaGear designs good features into their gear. I wear a 90%-Lite Jacket which I actually found at Fairbanks SW when I drove up to meet a friend for a moose hunt. I like it because it's not too warm, it has good features (pit zips, good ventilation, enough pockets, and stretchy enough to layer up underneath. Four seasons now and the materials are holding up well. I thnk now, with their recent partnership with WR Gore, SG is going to continue to be an innovator, but with more consistent quality control, which will only help their cause.

To me, SG is a trusted brand. They make an effort to build lightweight, servicable gear with good materials. I will continue to look for SG in end-of-season discounts when I need stuff. As far as I'm concerned, the insonsistent quality days are past. If I should have a problem in the future, I trust SG to make it good. I had a good outing with a new piece from Kuiu too - this spring. I'll be watching their fall discounts too.
    Last edited by 6XLeech; 06-07-2011 at 00:21. Reason: Clarification

I have a set of the 90% which has been extensively used on some hard backcountry hunts. Not one problem after 3 years. I also own their Nimbus rain gear, no longer in production. It's the best packable rain gear I've owned in all the decades I've hunted. I own several other pieces from Sitka: Core, Ascent, etc. I consider all of them to be excellent items. Worth the money? I obviously thought so when I bought them...and I still do today. I paid full retail.

I also have been acquiring a full set of the KUIU gear. I haven't hunted in it yet, but it is very nicely constructed. It definitely has fewer features on it than the equivalent Sitka...just a little disappointing. The differences will likely not mean much under hunting conditions. I will be using this lineup on a 12 day Super Cub hunt for moose, bou and bear this September. It is markedly less expensive, and sewn in Canada. The owner of KUIU is one of the co-founders of Sitka Gear.

I have several pieces of Sitka gear and like it overall. I do think it is way overpriced. I would also like to see it in a different camo pattern and color as it really stands out in a fall moose hunt against the turning of the leaves. I think the color of their gear would be great for a sheep hunt way up above tree line.

I am with Grizzly Man

one pair of ascent pants only lasted me one season...so about a dozen hunts...worth 175 bucks...no.
    stormfront rain gear has held up good since they replaced the first pair of pants that weren't waterproof..comfy, light weight, noise...worth 500 bucks....no.

value for the quality...its a no for me. if you can get a good deal on it i'd say go for it. but way overpriced.
    i've got 45 dollar cabela's fleece pants that i've worn for almost 7 years with no rips or tears...figure thats over 70 hunts on one pair of pants....same hunts on the ascent pants and they only made it a doz or less hunts...should tell you something. that marketing is a powerfull tool.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    one pair of ascent pants only lasted me one season...so about a dozen hunts...worth 175 bucks...no.
    stormfront rain gear has held up good since they replaced the first pair of pants that weren't waterproof..comfy, light weight, noise...worth 500 bucks....no.

value for the quality...its a no for me. if you can get a good deal on it i'd say go for it. but way overpriced.
    i've got 45 dollar cabela's fleece pants that i've worn for almost 7 years with no rips or tears...figure thats over 70 hunts on one pair of pants....same hunts on the ascent pants and they only made it a doz or less hunts...should tell you something. that marketing is a powerfull tool.
    that pretty well sums my thoughts on it as well...i like the ascent pants, but i'm forever sowing them, and i too only get a good seasons good use...they stretch with a memory also...they stay stretched. i didnt like that part. but theyre comfy mnt pants, as i like light pants.

wasnt impressed with the old nimbus rain gear.

good stuff, but not worth it without a discount.

Default Sitka gear

Funny, that I made it into a discussion about Sitka gear. I do have a full compliment of gear. I've been using the new stormfront jacket all spring and that includes open skiff runs. It works. I got a prodeal on it so it's a go on that item for me. It will make my September sheep hunt. The older stuff is a pass unless you like sewing.
    Now only if I could find another good mountain hunting partner. CtP left Sitka with the coast guard.

Ive been using the KUIU gear for quite some time now for spring bear spot and stalk and have to say that it is really nice. I opted out on the sitka gear because my budy has it and says its crap and it continously rips and or he gets soak and wet through his gear just by walking through alders or tall grass. The kuiu stuff is at a reasonable price and they have great customer service. seward hunting.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    Yes Its worth it IF you can find it on sale or slightly discounted. I have the Celsius Jacket and I love it. Barney's sports Chalet In Anc has a good variety. Also check this site from time to time. I got my jacket for $136
    http://www.camofire.com
    Didn't feel like ready all the posts but I have the Ascent jacket, and wife has the Celsius jacket. Decent product but not worth the msrp. Check camofire like mentioned and just type into google "sitka gear clearance" you'll find several sites that list the sitka clothing at 40-70% discount off msrp. I paid $90 for each of the jackets that we have and that was worth it, but $200+ no.

As a comparison, I paid almost $1,000 for my KLIM snowmachine riding gear (jacket, fleece liner, pants, boots) and that was worth every penny. Had the same riding outfit since 2006 and no rips, tears, still waterproof, just a little dirtier than when new.

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    Ive been using the KUIU gear for quite some time now
    I've been using the Kuiu as well with great results. Cheaper than Sitka and so far I've not read or experienced anything negative other than sizing on the hat...

Thanks for all the information. I think I will be going with the Kryptek gear when it comes out. I checked out the website and it seems like it will do well for the situations I will be hunting in as well as the fact that it is a veteran owned buisness and I am currently in Afghanistan and have already done 3 tours in Iraq. I appreciate the help and the assesments of the gear. Thanks again

I paid full retail for my SG and have no regrets. Best gear ive ever owned.