Thread: Ranger side x side belt

Default Ranger side x side belt

The belt on my Ranger got a burn spot in it and I need to put a new one on. I have the belt cover off, but can not get the secondary clutch to spread to get the old belt off. I have done this on snowmachines many time with very little problem, but what is the trick on the Ranger. Thanks
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I don't know the proper way, but I had to wrestle with mine a bit. Just got one part up and over the side of the clutch and then turned the clutch to roll it off. Just like putting a chain back onto a bicycle. I put the new belt back on the same way. Perhaps there's a better way but I don't know about it
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

What year Ranger? If it has a Team Secondary clutch then you should have a little tool in your kit that looks is shaped like a L. One side is threaded. You take the threaded side and on the Secondary clutch there will be a hole that is also threaded you place the tool into that hole and turn it. This "opens" the secondary and you should be able to remove the belt no problem, the replace the belt and turn the tool so it comes out of the hole and you'll see the secondary "close." You should try and "close" the secondary on the belt when it the belt is in the highest you want it to be in the secondary. So, you close it a little adjust the belt, close some more adjust the belt, etc.

Here is a video that explains it better it is for a Polaris snowmachine but the concept is exactly the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlq9i...eature=related

And you'll see what the tool looks like.

Mine is a 09 and does not have this type of clutch on it. Sure wish it did. Been away from home and the computer for a day, so will work on it again tomorrow and see what I come up with. Thanks

Check out this thread..

http://www.prcforum.com/viewtopic.ph...ht=remove+belt

It can be a tight fit getting on an off. Especially if it is a stock 2009 belt.

The new one will go on very stiff as well.

Good luck

Well it seems that I am incorrect. I just looked up the secondary clutch on a 2009 and my 2010 Ranger 6X6 and we do not have the Team Secondary like I thought. I have never had to change the belt I usually as a preventative get a new belt installed by the dealer every May, so there you go. Learn something new everyday.

Okay I got the belt off today and tjm was right all I needed to do was use more force to get it off. Will get a new one in the next day or so and see how it goes to get it on. Thanks for the info