Thread: Wooldridge - Thumbs up to do business with

Default Wooldridge - Thumbs up to do business with

Guys I admit I am a stickler over details. I also believe I should be treated with respect and honesty when I am in the market for something as expensive as a new boat. My quest for a new Wooldridge Alaskan II boat began here on this forum and then progressed to the show at the Northway Mall. Todd (Sport Drifter) was a great help to me at the mall but I cant say the same for Sea Marita. They refused to budge off retail price even after I called them up a couple of days after ths show again and told them I was serious.
    This lead me to Bob at West Coast Marine Services in Washington(southwindven@yahoo.com). Bob treated me right from the get go and never brushed me off as thinking I am just a tire kicker. After a half dozen emails I was happy with the deal we negotiated and called in my deposit. He did everything he said he would and went out of his way to help me or answer questions about options or motors for the boat.
    I also emailed Glen at Wooldridge several times and he was always prompt to get back to me with answers.
    Today I happened to learn that for an extra charge you can order the Alaskan II as a 23 footer assumming they have the side material cut to the correct length. I called the factory and the guys there bent over backward to answer questions I had about the proper motor to install and the advantages of going to the 23 foot version (which I did).
    The guys at the factory spent a good deal of time with me answering all my stupid questions and offered great suggestions and never once did I feel like I was taking up there time.
    I am never afraid to ding a business who has poor customer service. Wooldridge is a first class place to do business with.
    Tennessee

Default wooldridge boat

I agree with ya about marita, but he did budge a little for me, but only after i called him on it. Wasn't a pleasant experience, but i got what i wanted in the end, well i guess it isn't the end yet, as I haven't recieved the boat yet. But I am a stickler for details also, so i will watch them closely. But with wooldridge, I am very happy with. What motor did you end up going with. I bought my boat used from marita and it came with the merc 150 opti. I'd like to know what his suggestions were. I am very impressed with that E-Tec.

I am glad that you had a decent buying experience.

I had the absolute worst buying experience of my life when I bought my 2006 Wooldridge. I have bought over a hundred used cars and never had such a hard time with a dealer. EVER. Totally chapped.

Default Ak Ii

I have been looking pretty hard at the AKII. I talk to a gentleman that has has owned one for around 10 years. He just recently bought a new AKII. His '96 has an Evinrude 150/105. He told me that while cornering, this boat does not slide! He runs some really skinny areas with it.

After listening to everyone and talking with owners. I think that this might be the one for me. If you could go with a 23 footer, you could have the windshield a little farther back. This might enable you to haul a 4-wheeler in the bow? When your boat is delivered, please post some pics. I'd like to see it. What motor did you go with, or what did they suggest? How much extra do they want to go with the 23?

Thanks! and Good Boating!
    Richard

They do not change the location of the windshield when they make them into a 23 foot model.
    Not sure how you would get a wheeler onto the boat. I don't have my boat scheduled to be built till August of this year.
    My current plans are to install a Yamaha 200 hp 4 stroke jet but I would retain the ability to reinstall the prop for my runs down the Yukon for moose hunting trips. But I have a year to pick up the motor so who knows what I will finally end up with. I would perfer a 2 stroke so if that option opens up I will take that route instead as the 2 strokes are much lighter.
    Tennessee

Default Alaskan II

Quote Originally Posted by Richard AK Res View Post
    I have been looking pretty hard at the AKII. I talk to a gentleman that has has owned one for around 10 years. He just recently bought a new AKII. His '96 has an Evinrude 150/105. He told me that while cornering, this boat does not slide! He runs some really skinny areas with it.

After listening to everyone and talking with owners. I think that this might be the one for me. If you could go with a 23 footer, you could have the windshield a little farther back. This might enable you to haul a 4-wheeler in the bow? When your boat is delivered, please post some pics. I'd like to see it. What motor did you go with, or what did they suggest? How much extra do they want to go with the 23?

Thanks! and Good Boating!
    Richard
    They have built a rear windshield "Fairbanks style" boat with more room in the bow for wheelers and they do offer a drop down bow landing craft style boat. There are photos on the Wooldridge website in the photo gallery side of the Alaskan II. The 23 length will greatly increase the weight hauling capability of the boat with not having to go with the largest engine.

I have a friend with a 25ft Sport Drifter with a 6.0 Chev and a 212 jet that hauled 7,850 lbs in the lake to test for a koyukuk trip. Great boat with 7-8 GPH fuel consumption for long trips.