Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes timing is everything..

Default Sometimes timing is everything..

Well after 3 years of trying, my daughter finally connected. We went in and baited on Mem day (5/30/11) with a couple of buckets, a game cam and new to me this year, a bait ball. On the trip into bait we seen one fresh pair of bear tracks in the sand bar which looked to be about a 5 foot bear. We set up and waited till Friday to go check. I got off work at 4:00pm and after a quick stop to pick up my daughter and gear from home we were off. Like I said, this is our 3rd year trying to get Kara a bear so the last 2 years we got skunked but I didn't care and niether did Kara as this was about father/daughter time. If we connect it would just be a bonus. Although this was to be her year as we drew a caribou tag for the cabin and also it will be just her and I flying into moose camp this year. Anyway, we continued down the highway till we came to the Talkeetna junction and stopped into the new Subway for dinner. After getting some grub and using the last bathroom we would see for many miles, we continued on. Almost 3 hours later we arrived at our parking spot and got ready for the 1.79 mile hike to the stand. It was an absolutly beautiful evening as we walked thru sunshine, then thunder showers, then sun. When we got close to the stand we hopped down onto the river and then searched every piece of sand bar like a couple of hound dogs, looking for fresh tracks. Didn't see any and when we got to the stand I could see that my buckets were knocked over but it didn't look like anything was eaten. I thought possibly since it was VERY windy, that the wind might have knocked them over. Well, once I cleared the area I sent Kara up the tree while I went over to the camara to grab the SD card. I pocketed it and then climbed up to join Kara. This was my only second time using a game cam in 17 years (the first got munched) so we were like 2 little kids at xmas. After 18 pics of SQUIRRELS we finally seen a bear pic..
    Here's the last shot of a squirrel at 2:24pm, same day. Notice the buckets still stacked from all week...

Next visit was what we were looking for at 3:18pm..

Then again 4 hours later at 7:17pm we get a close up....sorta.

Kara who just turned 11 with her first bear. And for all you arm chairs out there, no thats not a cub to the right. It is her good luck pack in which after this hunt, you might just catch me wearing sometimes out in the field...

I am a very proud father..

Here's one more pic showing the time of events.... and my ugly mug. This was taken 8:27pm when we first got to the stand.

Love the last pic Steve..... "Do you hear banjo music?"

Congrats Kara!!!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

HAHAHA, I look like I'm waiting for a 10ft grizz to jump out of the camara. The .416 was ready...

You rock Doc, and your daughter does too!
    Sweet pics.
    BK

Nicely done, sir, and congratulations to the young hunter! I love seeing pictures of her success. You're doing something great there.

Brian-your wife was the first person she emailed. True story...

Congrats Steve and Kara!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Brian-your wife was the first person she emailed. True story...
    Ha! Yeah, I saw that e-mail and got a kick out of the fact that an ex-student was e-mailing her hunting stories. We really enjoyed seeing those pictures last night, and Sara was thrilled that Kara wanted to share the story with her.

Way to go Dad!!!

Beautiful bear!!

Very nice. I passed one up at my stand the other night that may become my son's first bear next time he goes out.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Congrats Kara and Steve that is a wonderful bear!!

Nice bear for sure. I'll bet it feels great to have the opportunity to bond with your daughter that way. Great job!

nice one steve. did that crazy sean guy get his new stand set up also?

That is so cool I am having memories of my kids first bears, thanks for sharing.

Big congratulations on helping your daughter with her first bear! I'd love to hear her story of the hunt, too!

Now that is awesome! Congrats to her!

Well done Kara! Sounds like you have got a busy season ahead of you with the bou and the moose. Keep it up.
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast