Thread: What is a boat worth? Where to Sell?

Default What is a boat worth? Where to Sell?

I was visiting a friend the other day who asked me to look at his boat as he wants to sell it...he just doesn't use it. First, it is way out of my league to buy This is a 30 footer, 11 1/2 wide, twin big block Merc inboards with Merc out drives and SS props. I think it is about 15 years old, but looks like it just came off the show room floor. The engines have 450 hours total since new. Burns about 12 gallon per hour at 22 knots. All electrical, belts, hoses, etc. are brand new. The interior Teak looks like it just came off the tree. All cushions are newly re done. The hull looks as if it has never seen water Large flying bridge with seats for three and a motorized davit to raise pots with. Three axle trailer in excellent shape. Sweet boat, but out of my league as I said.

My question is, how do you find a market for this boat, and how do you find out what the market will bare? I would guess the marine survey is more important for insurance purposes than resale? Craiglist has a few boats in its class, but not many and they run from about 60K to 200K...big variable. My guess is that because of the new 6 pack restrictions, selling this to a 6 pack operator is not very likely. I guess the market would most likely be someone who would want to live on it in retirement in Homer, Seward, Valdez, Whittier, etc., but that is a guess on my part. Would it be practical to take it to SE Alaska, or maybe even a Seattle market?

Any ideas are appreciated. This would be a fun boat, but I look at 300 gallons of gas at $4/gallon...sure it will take me more than 250 miles, but that is a lot of halibut to catch
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

For a boat in that price range, your friend should at least get an appraisal for the boat, if not a full-blown survey. On higher end boats, having a survey in hand helps a lot with a sale (it may be required if the buyer is financing the purchase). Look online or in the yellow pages for a marine surveyor.

Look at getting in touch with Dave at Alaska boat broker, he helped with my boat.
    Boatless

For me, I have always had a survey done at my (sellers expense) which has shown that I am not pulling any punches etc. I have sold three boats this way and and have sold them in short order doing so. Obviously, the larger the boat the longer it may take to sell but you should expect that. A good surveyor will travel to accommodate.
    Tony

yea, I would start with www.alaskaboatbrokers.com. They are pretty low pressure, and I think would give some good advice and guidance, even without a promise of listing with them. I looked at some boats he had listed when I was looking to buy, and there was no pressure.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Just curious, where is the boat at? You can't tow a boat 11.5 feet wide can you?
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Just curious, where is the boat at? You can't tow a boat 11.5 feet wide can you?
    Just outside of Eagle River. You need to get a permit is all, with lights on your tow rig. Cost goes up to go through the Whittier tunnel I believe.