Thread: new outboard

Default new outboard

My 10 year old Suzuki died .....

This is for my 16 ft Lund.

I can get a new '06 Honda 30hp 4 stroke for a good price (ketchikan that is).

A couple things I'm concerned with ... I have never run a 4 stroke. The shop says electric start. This means a battery. If I put the battery on the floor then I must need a small bilge pump to keep the battery dry. I guess the other option is mounting it up on the seat so no need for the pump.

Does anyone use either of these systems? any pros or cons?

Anything special I need to keep in mind while breaking in or running a 4 stroke?

call the battery store in Anchorage they have that is very small and you make a bracket and mount to the side of you boat. Have it on my lund works great. Battery is the size of a 4 wheeler battery if all your going to use it for is to start the engine its perfect.

Default Electric Start necessary?

I thought the 30 powerheads had optional pull starts....I have run lots of Yammers that had pull starts up to 40 hp heads....a little stiff but would save you the liability/hassle of a battery. But if you must have a battery, find a way to mount it high. I'd try to avoid it.

If you go with a battery, get a bilge pump with an automatic switch....worth the money, and get one that throws some water in case you ever need it.

Just broke in a 60 last year, just read the directions regarding rpm rates during a prescribed amount of time and after that....let her rip. Oh, and check the oil...straight gas only....and get a Raycor. And last but not least.....enjoy the gas sipping, smooth purr of your new 4.....and be careful what side you lay it on so the oil doesn't fill cylinders. (read: look at stickers on cowling)

Default Thanks for the info.

They sure are proud of those new motors ... $'s. But I guess over time it will save on the gas bill .... especially these days.

The local dealer said they (30 hp) can be hard to rope start and electric is the only way to go.

And I'll look into the battery mounted up on a bracket action. That sound better that a pump.

I already have a Raycor filter system. As my Suzuki was the 3 cylinder oil injected.

Any thing else?

Default other motors

If I was looking for a new motor i would buy......
    2 stroke..... evinrude E-Tec.
    4 stroke....... Yahmaha.

Stay away from merc. honda is good, but yami is better

Johnnie

Ken at T&M will treat you great on the honda. I have a few hondas and they can be hard starters. you will want the electric start. The Idle jet in the carbs is real small and if a little dirt gets through your filters they plug and make them hard to start. I will take A pic of my buddies 16' lund with a battery mounted high so you can see what it looks like. We have been running Hondas and Yamahas 30 and 40hp. I spend a LOT less time working on the Hondas. I am buying 3 new 40 hp outboards next month. I will be getting 3 new E-techs from Ken. If you want to know anythin about any of them let me know we run them all and run them way harder than they were ever ment to be used.

Woody

The honda is a great choice. Pull starting the 4-stroke can be difficult at times, but do-able. Another choice for the battery is Optima, it can set on the floor of the boat with no repercussions, lay it on it's side if you like. It's a fully sealed, gel type battery, the best you can buy as far as abuse goes. jmo

Muskeg-Can't you just get yourself a battery case? Unless you are talking about more then 8 or 10 inches of water in the bottom of the boat the $10.00 case will keep your battery dry. That's how I have my 16' set up and have had no problems over the past 10 years...

Default why the worry?

Just curious. Why the worry about the battery being wet? I don't think discharge through the case is a problem any more (as is "never leave your battery on a concrete floor"). My riverboat battery sat on a piece of wood (so it would not wear the alum floor) for years, often w/ an inch of water around it, sometimes more.

Default Lots of rain in SE

My thoughts are when getting up in the morning and finding a lot of rain in the boat. Like possibly enough to submerge the battery.

Default Same issue yet different

I've got a boat with a generous leak so I've got the same concerns, it's tolerable but with a little wind and some bad luck, I'd hate to submerge mine....so I've got it mounted four inches off the deck....set forward 8 feet from teh transom for balance and have a good bilge.

Mine's a 60 powerhead so I take a very keen interest in keeping the battery juiced.

Did you guys ever think of installing an automatic bilge pump? They only cost $30 or so.
    Tennessee

Default Sure do

Yup, that's what I've got and it makes me sleep a little better in windy rainy nights....and cheaper than a new skiff. Someday though.......sigh.

Johnny,

For a 16 foot skiff, I would not mess with a battery. That just means more weight and more (potential) problems. It would also make it more difficult to get off the beach should you ever find yourself in that position while hunting. You should be able to get a pull-start up to at least 40 hp (although I don't know if honda does it). Make sure to check out Rocky's marine in P-burg. They consistently have good prices, and last time I checked they would put it on the ferry for you for free.

I run a pull-start on my 16 footer. The whole point of a skiff is to keep it nice and simple, and I like to keep it that way. I have a separate battery box that houses my depth-finder and a 12V motorcycle battery. I can take it on or off the boat, depending on whether I want to use it. The last thing you want is to have problems starting your skiff motor because of an electrical problem, that's my 2 cents.