Thread: Looking for self guided Black Bear hunt

Default Looking for self guided Black Bear hunt

I am looking into a self guided Black Bear hunt next spring/summer and would like some help in picking where I need to look and who I need to contact. I have looked at Thornebay and like what they have to offer. If anyone else can point me in the right direction and tell me who they have used or who I need to look at, that would be awesome. Baiting is very time consuming and is fun, but takes a lot of time to get bear on to it. I think it would make the wife happy and me happy because i could shoot a pumpkin head, if I take my time and find one. So thanks for all your help in advance.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

I would think that North Pole would be like Wrangell.Just walk out of the back yard and start looking.Or go to the dump then drive a half mile away park and start looking.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Coffman Cove Adventures on POW I think is 1800 a head for 6 days meals inluded and they can hook you up with a truck or a boat and if you both fill out early you can get some halibut. I was gonna do a deer hunt up there this fall but they were booked up. I heard about it from Brian on this forum. I am planning to take my family there in the spring for the same thing http://www.coffmancoveak.com/ hope it helps

For a fall black bear DIY hunt, I recommend spot-and-stalk/run-and-gun type hunting in the mountains on the northern Kenai Peninsula. Glass very high because the bears will be on berries. Very high. I have observed many black bears while hunting mountain goats in late September, and been with friends on three fall kills. These bears are generally above the mountain goats, but obtainable to a conditioned hiker/climber. On the steep angle slopes a dead bear can really get rolling very fast! Like a dead mountain goats, they stop their "terminal velosity decent" when they crash into the alder brush.

Kenai Peninsula/South-Central AK black bears are not generally hugh. A 6 foot bear is generally considered a shooter. A 6'9" bear is quite good. A real 7 foot bear would be a giant monster, in my opinion and observations.

And after you whack a black bear, go fish the Kenai River for Rainbows, Dollys, Silver Salmon. Note that Kenai Peninsula moose hunting is not exactly at a time for peak production, so I'm not sure that a combo hunt could be considered realistic, and there has been some recent changes to moose regulations.
    dennis

Thumbs up on Coffman Cove Adventures! Hunted with them two years in a row and they were great. Equipment in great shape, good food, and very friendly.

Same money you can get a guided bait hunt looking over several bears, etc. I don't know about next year, but I think its $1500 right now. I think you pay the airfare to Tyonek (not sure though) and the rest is taken care of. Who knows about next year though. I'd imagine more.

Couple spots left as of yesterday. This is a steal, if you ask me. A friend is finishing up and has some spots.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    Same money you can get a guided bait hunt looking over several bears, etc. I don't know about next year, but I think its $1500 right now. I think you pay the airfare to Tyonek (not sure though) and the rest is taken care of. Who knows about next year though. I'd imagine more.

Couple spots left as of yesterday. This is a steal, if you ask me. A friend is finishing up and has some spots.
    the link in case somebody interested. Private land and lots of bears.
    http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen...mp_3_Days.html