Thread: Here is one to chew on....

Default Here is one to chew on....

This weekend (Friday) two male hikers went up Pioneer peak for a one day hike up/down. Minimal gear/food/clothing since it was to be a short trip. Trip took a little longer than expected and they ended up trying to come down in the dark and got lost. Saturday they made a call for help to AST and the AK mountain rescue team was called in to make the save. The guys weren't able to give a good location since they were lost and didn't have a GPS with them. The cell phone they used was pinging towers in Anchorage so that didn't help. To top it off, AST Helo 1 was out of service and the mountain was pretty fogged in during the afternoon/evening.

We were camped 100 yds from the rescue and had a front row seat. Occasionally I wandered over to the rescue guys for updates while things were unfolding. Finally around 10-11pm on Saturday I took some firewood over to the rescue guys huddling under a portable shelter in the drizzling rain. They said the two rescue teams were on the mountain and were encountering falling snow. Off I went to my nice warm bed...

This morning I got up and the rescue team HQ was gone so we didn't find out what happened for a while. Later in the day, a Trooper pulled in to handle a different call but I spoke with her and found out that the two hikers had gotten off the hill by themselves at some point and had gone back to Anchorage.....without calling AST to advise they were OK!! For some reason AST was now having a hard time getting in touch with these two yahoos who were not answering their cell phone....

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd be several different kinds of PO'd if I were risking my life on the side of that mountain looking for some hikers that were supposedly in trouble just to find out later that they were not there and didn't have the courtesy to call with an update.

Anyone know these two or any more to the story??
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I hope they track them down and bill the heck out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Anyone know these two??
    Beevis & Butthead......?????

NO...don't know them, but there was a Subaru with a roof rack and ditty box parked along the Knik River Road...by the way they left it on the drivable surface of the roadway, I figured they didn't plan on being gone more than a couple of days. Had the Troopers impounded the illegally parked Subaru, they would know who the Perps were by now. These types don't just do one thing wrong...they leave a string of evidence to follow. Anytime I see a Subaru parked like that...it is predictable a story will come of it!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Why in the world were they parked on the road? Pioneer has adequate trailhead parking. Were they trying to climb the N Face route just west of the bridge or something? WAY too late in the season for that...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HEATHEN View Post
    Why in the world were they parked on the road? Pioneer has adequate trailhead parking. Were they trying to climb the N Face route just west of the bridge or something? WAY too late in the season for that...
    Very likely that it had something to do with the predicament they found themselves in!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~