Thread: Kodiak Goat Hunt 07

Question Kodiak Goat Hunt 07

My hunting partners drew a Kodiak goat hunt this fall and we were wondering what a good tent to take on the hunt would be. I have an Cabelas Guide model tent w/ aluminum poles but the pilot they talked to said it would blow apart on Kodiak in the wind. I have had great luck with it in the wind in the past (on the slope and moose hunting) but was wondering if someone who has hunted there would have a better tent or an idea for one. We were planning on using the guide model for base camp and spike camping if needed. None of us has ever hunted Kodiak and are excited at the chance. Thanks for your help.

it'll be an eye opener, you probably won't really want to stay in base camp much for goat, i'd get high and stay high, goats move alot. your cabelas tent will be fine, dont' camp on the beach or in the wind tunnels, move off by some brush or in a lower spot (above tide line) and set it up, you'll be fine. the wind dont' always blow 90 there, specially down low, you'll get alot worse winds up on top, sent up spike camps in low spots with wind breaks, build rock walls around your tents if you have to to break the wind a bit and to hold the tents down.
    Goats move alot, i mean alot, keep your eyes open and always look over the edge, don't walk up to a pass and not look over every side you can, goats don't freak out like sheep and they'll let you walk right past if your not paying attention.
    what tag did you draw? DG???
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by fishingis4play View Post
    My hunting partners drew a Kodiak goat hunt this fall and we were wondering what a good tent to take on the hunt would be. I have an Cabelas Guide model tent w/ aluminum poles but the pilot they talked to said it would blow apart on Kodiak in the wind. I have had great luck with it in the wind in the past (on the slope and moose hunting) but was wondering if someone who has hunted there would have a better tent or an idea for one. We were planning on using the guide model for base camp and spike camping if needed. None of us has ever hunted Kodiak and are excited at the chance. Thanks for your help.
    Fishis4play; If you go to the search this forum option & type in (mountain tents) There quite a bit of info to be found there, What DG-Unit did you guy's score on? If it's anywere on the road system, Most of those are a day hunt..

Living in Kodiak has several advantages. The wind doesn't always blow is correct. I could rain the entire time so you want a sound tent with enough room to hang out. Have been on a mountain several days not leaving because I could not see where to go. Last two years we got sunburnt and sweated a bunch coming off the hill. Last October you would have thought you were going to freeze to death. I use a 3 person four season tent from Sierra Designs for all of my back country hunting.
    It opens on both ends for the hot days and seals well at night or during high winds.
    Where and when are you hunting and I would be happy to line you up.

Neal ncooper@alaska.com

Default The Permit is DG 477

My hunting partners drew DG-477. I'm tagging along as a camera man/ deer hunter mostly to go and experience Kodiak. Were talking about driving to Homer and catching the ferry down, we live in Soldotna. We'll be there the 1st week of Sept. for 8-10 days as needed for the hunt.

I have a Cabella's guide model, and have never had problems with the wind. Once anchored, they are almost bomb proof. I have fiberglass poles, and can't vouch for aluminum.

Default Kodiak Goat tent

When I hunted Kodiak for goats (Terror Lake area) I was able to land and set up camp above timber line...a double edge sword. The people who had used the camp site before me must have brought in an ax because they had hammered in 2 x 4's for stakes for their tent...guess I should have taken the hint!! Below is an image of the tent my son and I used - a six pole bomb proof mountaineering tent from Bibler called a Fitzroy. While there a storm blew in off the Shelikof Straits with documented wind gusts to 94 mph. Despite using all the tie downs I had to spend the night with my rifle streched between the poles and me leaning against the rifle to keep the tent from collapsing! The storm raged for two days and 3 nights and then followed with 2 days of pea soup thick fog for 2 more days. I was able to extend the hunt 4 extra days thanx to the sat phone and shot my goat on 30 Oct. Moral of the story be prepared for some ugly weather ... and be glad if you don't get to experience it. Oh, and of course it was a blue bird day the day we flew out after my son and I had to siwash the night before on a mountain top in the sleet and rain.
    Last edited by shphtr; 07-29-2007 at 14:20.

man i hope you didn't shoot your goat on oct 30?!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    When I hunted Kodiak for goats (Terror Lake area) I was able to land and set up camp above timber line...a double edge sword. The people who had used the camp site before me must have brought in an ax because they had hammered in 2 x 4's for stakes for their tent...guess I should have taken the hint!! Below is an image of the tent my son and I used - a six pole bomb proof mountaineering tent from Bibler called a Fitzroy. While there a storm blew in off the Shelikof Straits with documented wind gusts to 94 mph. Despite using all the tie downs I had to spend the night with my rifle streched between the poles and me leaning against the rifle to keep the tent from collapsing! The storm raged for two days and 3 nights and then followed with 2 days of pea soup thick fog for 2 more days. I was able to extend the hunt 4 extra days thanx to the sat phone and shot my goat on 30 Oct. Moral of the story be prepared for some ugly weather ... and be glad if you don't get to experience it. Oh, and of course it was a blue bird day the day we flew out after my son and I had to siwash the night before on a mountain top in the sleet and rain.
    shphtr;
    I'm with brwnbr As far as your dates go? Surely just a type-o, on your part? What year are you talk'n?
    Last edited by 4x4; 03-08-2007 at 22:41.

Special drawing hunt - just checked the date on the images - 5:55pm on 31 Oct 02

special drawing..? how'd you pull that off and do they still do it?
    Master guide 212

Looks like it is DG473....the year I drew it was open 'til 31 Oct. The most current regs show it as now closing 25 Oct.

weird i don't remember when they changed it, i was guiding over in kizuyak, over the hill from you then.
    Master guide 212

Smile Thank You

Thanks for the tips and info we'll put them to good use.