Thread: Delta Clearwater report 5 June 2011

Default Delta Clearwater report 5 June 2011

After putting it off for too many years myself and 2 buddies decided to give the Clearwater a try today and it did not disappoint. Launched the rickity outdoor rec boat from the state park lauch site about 10:00 am and headed upstream. Lots of fish swimming about so we picked a spot and decided to try our luck. My buddy immediately hooks one with a dry fly but loses it after a good fight. After a good while of nothing we decide to move. Now the sun is in full effect and the fish awaken from their late morning. Fish On!!! The fish start destroying top water flies like it's going out of style. Watching grayling rise to a dry fly and snatch it up was really an awesome sight and even a better feeling! These grayling were by far personal best as far as size for all 3 of us. Great day out on the clearwater! Next time I will not wait so long...definitely going back in July when it gets hot & heavy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails STA60206.jpg   STA60212.jpg  

I have never been to the Delta clearwater but have heard its a great place for grayling. Is it possible to float part of this? If so where do you put in and take out?

Glad to see you put it to work...they are renting boats already are they? might get sick one?

I do not know anything about floating the river to the Tanana confluence. I have only been down river a couple times from the camp ground, all the action is upstream (from the state campground)
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Very nice! Glad to see you got on some fish!

there is some good fishing down from the camp ground if you are going to float it go down from the camp ground when you get to were the water turns murky tananna color you go down about another mile and there is a big sign that says clear water lake and you make a left and follow a slough to the lake and you can pull out on jack warren rd. just dont miss your turn or you have to float the tananna out to the richardson highway bridge.

great fish!!!

Sweet! Fishing Clearwater last year was by far one of the funnest fishing trips I have had. Nothing beats seeing those beast grayling hit dry flies.

Can you actually rent boats on the Clearwater? If so where?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgefly View Post
    Can you actually rent boats on the Clearwater? If so where?
    No, unless you are active or retired military. TSS and AlcanRon rented theirs from the MWR on Ft. Wainwright. I believe you have to go through their boater safety coarse to do so.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Attachment 51149

Interesting that you have to go throught the boater safety course to rent from Ft WW. These guys were not displaying very safe boating technique as they were rounding this 160 degree bend in the river at full throttle downstream. The photo shows them looking for the business end of their flyrod that was launched into the river when they sideswiped the sweeper on said riverbend.

Did you guys ever find the rod? I know you searched for quite a while near the sweeper and downstream.

If you fish the Clearwater in Delta, please slow it down on these tight bends.

I often fish with my kids from an anchored boat, so you never know what's around the next corner.

Thanks!!

I am planning to fish it one day the last week in August. I am assuming this is still an ok time? I guess I will just head up to the lodge and fish around there. Can you hike up or down stream much from there?

Big Cox....tell Dennis to check his PM's if you talk to him.

Nice fish! How I miss fishing the Clearwater and having them destroy a fly on the surface. Good times!