Thread: Need some assistance from a fellow baiter (soldier injured and unable to hunt)

Default Need some assistance from a fellow baiter (soldier injured and unable to hunt)

Good afternoon everyone,

My neighbor was wounded 2 days ago at a training site with a mortar, He was placing the mortar in the firing tube when the tub tilted due to some muskag where they were firing from. He went to grab the tube so the round would not fire in a area that could potentially kill or injure other people in the area and the round went off. He suffered a fully shattered hand, near amputation of 2 fingers (the docs did manage to reattach) and will now need several reconstructive surgeries. This soldier has accompanied me and many hunts and has the heart and desire to bag his first alaskan bear. But due to the injuries he is unable to continue his search as he usually drives his dirt bike well into the bush and ground stalks. I would offer my station to him (as he has hunted it in the past) but he will be unable to climb the ladder into my stand (using a fire escape roll down ladder to access my tree stand).

Are there any baiters who would be willing to assist him with a hunt (I am trying to surprise him since he pretty much feeling that his season is over).

Feel free to call me 253-579-9071 or 907-770-7766 or just post up if you are willing to help him out. I will be willing to donate bait balls, and other bait to who ever takes him out. I also would be willing to drive him to your location as well.

Thanks again

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Why not just build a real ladder for your stand so that he can climb up in it? A couple of 2x4's or some skinny spruce trees and you are good to go.

Also considering his injuries being in the field isn't the best idea for numerous reasons. Glad to hear he didn't lose his hand or life or anyone else was injured wish him a speedy recovery!

to access my site would be out of the question for him with out the use of transportation into the site. I walk in on mine thus why we my site is unrealistic for his situation.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

If I was him I would be pretty darn happy I'm still alive... But we are checking our sites tonight I will let u know, my buddy has 1st dibs so he might have to wait until Friday or so...

thats fine, I am still waiting on his surgery outcome and how he is feeling. I will update you as well 323

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    If I was him I would be pretty darn happy I'm still alive... But we are checking our sites tonight I will let u know, my buddy has 1st dibs so he might have to wait until Friday or so...
    He probably won't make it in without breaking something, so a report might be at a later date!!!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    He probably won't make it in without breaking something, so a report might be at a later date!!!
    It was just him and his daughter going in last night and I have not heard from him yet, maybe I should form a rescue party?

Hahahaha you two knuckle draggers should go on a comedy tour...

Well news from the soldiers wife "That is so awesome I thought it was fake! It gave me the chills everyone is so nice and caring" (response to thread)

"I'm taking him to the er right now and he has a doctors appointment tomorrow but he wants to go hunting so bad he says he only needs one hand lol" (quote from a message she wrote me)

This thread is linked to my facebook as well.

Hopefully the docs will be able to figure something out and if they give him the "ok" to even leave the house I will start planning something for him. He is a great kid who shows very high energy for the sport.

I'd take him out, but I'm not gettin hit, so it would be useless. If I start gettin hit good I'll give ya a holler and see if we can work something out.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Let me know his capabilities as far as hunting , any accommodations needed. http://www.facebook.com/#!/HAVE.Alaska .. I'll be going up each weekend...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

WILL DO!, should have more info today on how he is doing.

Nhra,
    I am all for this, but like Bronco I think you may be moving a bit fast. The important thing is for him to heal, there are plenty of people here who are willing to help get him hunting once his injuries are healed and we know exactly what he is capable of. I know he is excited to hunt, and I laud him for it, but I do not know a single service member who will not go above and beyond to complete a goal/mission they have set even to the detriment of their own health.

Just my nickel,
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Yes, I do agree to "wait until the healing process in is the works" He has been out and about already and is acting like its no big deal and its just another day (typical soldier). The extend of his injuries are not as bad as the docs 1st thought but are still pretty bad. His thumb is pretty much in pieces (was primary impact area) and stitched back together, his pointer and index are stitched up as well. He was very lucky. His wife also wanted to thank everyone on here as well.