Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eklutna Tailrace?

Default Eklutna Tailrace?

Is the fishing at Tailrace better at high tide? I notice that the water does not seem to rise too much out there and was wondering if there were better times to fish...

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    Is the fishing at Tailrace better at high tide? I notice that the water does not seem to rise too much out there and was wondering if there were better times to fish...
    The tailrace is too far away from saltwater to be physically influenced much by tides. The fluctuations come from runoff coming down the Knik river from snowmelt and rain. Alot of water coming down the river and the spillway opening up would cause more change in water levels.

The kings would enter the river over the flats during a high tide, however, so they would start showing up at the tailrace area an hour or three afterward. They seem to be far more active when the plant fires up and increases the tailrace flow putting more clear water out into the river.

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

I fished there for about 30 mins and nothing. Still too dang early down there. Wait another week or two. The water level is at a good height though.

I fished for about 4 hours and nothing going on. I bet they are stacked up in knik somewhere, probably by the railroad bridge.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs

I wonder more or less for my amusement.......has any one even seen a king in there this year???????????????? Alive or dead?

I fished there quite a bit last year and never saw a king. (We did hit it too early I think though, late may/early june) F&G was talking to us one day and said that someone had caught one on a hooligan but who knows. Only time I've seen fish in there is later when the silvers and I assume reds that are headed to Jims get lost up in there.

I have to pick my dad up at the airport tonight so I'm going to stop by on my way in to town and make a few casts and see how everyone down there is doing.

Default Cool

Cool, bring back info (caught one saw one caught or rollers).

Fish and Game has actually been thinking about stop stocking the Tailrace for kings...

They put 132,231 silvers in there last year. Should be a good run in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Theone2 View Post
    Fish and Game has actually been thinking about stop stocking the Tailrace for kings...
    Were did you hear or read that, and what are the reasons if any were given ? Inquiring minds want to know.

Personaly, I think that would be a terrible thing to have happen.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein

Personally If I didn't hear it straight from fish and game I would call BS. Too many people use that fishery for them to just shut it down. Plus it takes a lot of pressure off the parks hwy streams, and ship creek.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs

Has anybody ever caught a salmon out of that place?

My buddy caught a 44 pound King there a few summers back, seen the pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Were did you hear or read that, and what are the reasons if any were given ? Inquiring minds want to know.

Personaly, I think that would be a terrible thing to have happen.
    Why would that be terrible? At least you'd have an excuse for not seeing or catching any kings at the tailrace ...

I hear that bobber fishing gobs of eggs from a boat is more successful on the Knik for kings. By the time they get to the tailrace, they're getting lock jaw. Get a boat, find a slot, and back-bounce eggs or slowly let out a bobber rig w/eggs behind the boat. Move around if nothing hits. Go early or go late (early is better).

Brian

I was there last Sunday and nothing yet, anyone heard about em showing up? Im chomping at the bit to soak some bait...'fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Has anybody ever caught a salmon out of that place?

Yes, I have taken kings and silvers out of there many times by drifting roe along the bottom or from a bobber, with a spinner.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein

i may stop by there again this weekend if i dont decide to head out to the russian for the opener. i'll probaby try soaking eggs again but at the crack of daylight this time.

Quote Originally Posted by boatbuilder2 View Post
    Why would that be terrible? At least you'd have an excuse for not seeing or catching any kings at the tailrace ...

I hear that bobber fishing gobs of eggs from a boat is more successful on the Knik for kings. By the time they get to the tailrace, they're getting lock jaw. Get a boat, find a slot, and back-bounce eggs or slowly let out a bobber rig w/eggs behind the boat. Move around if nothing hits. Go early or go late (early is better).

Brian
    I think the Knik is closed for Kings until sometime in July. Bud

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast