Thread: One Neck Split, Toss the Batch ? How Picky do I need to be?

Default One Neck Split, Toss the Batch ? How Picky do I need to be?

I have a question about Highend Brass Durability,
    This is my first order of Nosler stuff, for .243,
    and I have just been working with it for a little while.

I had high expectations for amount of reloads I would get out of them, and considering the higher cost, I have treated them NICE, kept good records,etc. to see how long I could keep using them.

I seperated out the box of 100 into batches of 20, and have only Necksized them from the very beginning. It is beautiful Brass, and just necksizing I have not had to trim them once since the original uniforming of them all. I don't load hot at all, always finding a nice load somewhere below max in the book.

Now, after five reloadings with one batch, I came up with a split neck in one case.
    The other batches are anywhere from 5-7 reloads and have had no splits.

I've read you should toss the entire batch when you find a split neck in one, but I am having a hard time doing that.

What do you think?, there is no sign of stretching in any of them (checked inside for sign of stretch inside the case with a small wire, etc.) None have needed trimming, so what should I do?

I did decide to try experimenting with Annealing, and so kind of "Home-annealed" that batch, but not the other batches, to see what difference that makes.
    I had read somewhere, that Highend brass is annealed at the factory somewhat, so should not need any annealing at all, but tried it with this one to see what happens

Do I need to toss this batch of twenty that the split showed up in? or am I cool to keep using them carefully observing all along?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Good Day Kodiak!
    Hot and muggy here in IL - you can sweat just looking out the window! So thought I would catch up with my friends!
    My opinion is that 1 split would not cause me to pitch the batch - especially on a neck. I feel there can be any number of things to contribute to a split neck starting - like a scratch, grain of sand in the chamber etc - If you start seeing a pattern then maybe but one is not enough for me to start culling...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Default One split neck is not the nd of the world

I agree with Smokey - one split cases is not the end of the batch. I've had one split case out of a batch and the rest went on for many more loadings. After you get several more in the lot then I'd set them aside for fouling shots, sighters, etc.

Good that I get reminded of how bad the weather is down in the lower 48. I spent a couple of years in central IL living in Champaign and working starting up the Clinton nuclear plant. I think I'll sit it out here in Alaska for a while more.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Good Day Kodiak!
    Hot and muggy here in IL - you can sweat just looking out the window! So thought I would catch up with my friends!
    My opinion is that 1 split would not cause me to pitch the batch - especially on a neck. I feel there can be any number of things to contribute to a split neck starting - like a scratch, grain of sand in the chamber etc - If you start seeing a pattern then maybe but one is not enough for me to start culling...
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

You shot them five (5), times without annealing!? Boy that is excellent! Now go ahead and anneal the necks so they'll last another five firings.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    I did decide to try experimenting with Annealing, and so kind of "Home-annealed" that batch, but not the other batches, to see what difference that makes.

I had read somewhere, that Highend brass is annealed at the factory somewhat, so should not need any annealing at all, but tried it with this one to see what happens
    So far as I am aware all bottleneck brass is annealed as part of its manufacturing process. Some makers clean/polish away the tell-tale signs of annealing, some don't. I think you'll find that annealing will cure your ills.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Do I need to toss this batch of twenty that the split showed up in? or am I cool to keep using them carefully observing all along?
    I'd run with them until they quit or split. Using work hardened brass will cause split necks and I think your plan to anneal should remedy your problem.

Long ago when I began reloading, I developed means of keeping stock of my brass and its firings, trimmings, etc. I found that often times after 4-5 firings (.222 Remington seemed especially prone to this) I'd load ammo in visually perfect cases and inspect it before firing and find that somewhere from the bullet seating process to before the firing the neck would split. It is obviously a ruined case, but I often fired those loaded rounds with no problems.

Don't give up on the cases until they give up on you.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

The splits occur because the brass has work-hardened, and yeah, good annealing will soften it up again. Just be sure to only anneal the neck and shoulders.

Can you use it some more after annealing? Maybe, and if you're lucky, most of it. I'd take a magnifying glass to it and really look for little "micro" cracks around the case mouth. Tiny almost invisible cracks turn into large cracks in short order even after annealing.

I anneal as a matter of course after 4 loadings, and almost always avoid splits as a result. But depending on the brass history, by the time I get up to 6 or 8 loadings and a few case trims, I "retire" the brass to live out its life with lower power loads.

That all says nothing about case head/primer pocket expansion due to a steady diet of max loads. I've seen that kill more cases than lack of annealing for a lot of guys. I know some that get only a couple of loadings before the primers start falling out of their cases and blame "cheap" brass. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I agree with Smokey - one split cases is not the end of the batch. I've had one split case out of a batch and the rest went on for many more loadings. After you get several more in the lot then I'd set them aside for fouling shots, sighters, etc.

Good that I get reminded of how bad the weather is down in the lower 48. I spent a couple of years in central IL living in Champaign and working starting up the Clinton nuclear plant. I think I'll sit it out here in Alaska for a while more.
    Funny, but I did some labor work on the Clinton plant when it was first being built!
    As for muggy, it was steamy enuff here today to make a fish sweat - YUK!!!
    Oh yeah, forgot we are in about week 3 of Buffalo Knat season also - can't do anything outside without them boogers in your face biting - wonderful place to live!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

yup, properly annealed about every 4th firing and they should last a long time if your not loading right to max. Be careful not to anneal much below the shoulder and don't get the brass glowing red.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll keep ya tuned to my results
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !