Thread: Barge Boat from Seattle to Anchorage

Default Barge Boat from Seattle to Anchorage

I tried to use the search feature but came up empty...Has anyone shipped a boat via barge from Seattle to Anchorage? If so, I'd appreciate contact info so I could look into it. Could have it trailered up here but I bet that's a long rough ride for any vessel.

Garkyak, I had a North River Commander Jet boat built in Roseburg OR, then trailered & shipped from the Seattle area to the Anch port several yrs ago. We used the services of Totem Ocean Trailer Express & were very pleased w/ their service. The ship sailed on 21 Dec & I picked up our boat on 26 Dec.
    The dimensions were: OAL 28' OWTH 10' 2" & HT 9' & the total bill was approx $2780.00.

Hope this helps,

I just shipped my new rig up from seattle to whittier on Alaska Marine Lines. PM or call me if you need a name and details.
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Generally AML or Northland Services are cheaper than T.O.T.E., but take another week longer.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Generally AML or Northland Services are cheaper than T.O.T.E., but take another week longer.
    AML took a week to get my boat from Seattle to Whittier.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I just shipped one up from Bellingham to Anch a month or so ago. Unaware of AML or Northland Services so I used TOTEM. Good service, very easy to work with. Cost was $4200- for a OAL of 27' X 8.5' W X 11' tall weighing 5250#.
    If I could have saved money with another shipper I would have though!
    BK

I have shipped several things out of Seattle. I sent a Kawasaki mule up in March. I have sent my boat three times and several cargo trailers etc. I have always used Northland services and I have never had any problems and they always deliver on time. They have generally been less expensive when compared to the other options. I am fairly sure it will be cheaper to barge it than tow and much better on you and the boat. I would make sure to have a good cover on it. Every once in a while the birds seem to pick a particular target for some reason. Good luck

You are correct Potbuilder, in transit time is about a week, especially to Whittier. I have to add on a couple days with my stuff because I have to wait for it to be put on the train, moved to Anchorage, then unloaded again. Northland also has a receiving deadline that is two days before sailing (I think AML does to) and that adds a couple more days to my calculations. I figure two weeks from delivery to Seattle docks and that's usually what happens when it's all said and done to Anchorage. T.O.T.E., on the other hand takes my stuff on Thursday and I usually pick it up on the following Tuesday in Anchorage (sometimes Wed. a.m.) at twice the price
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

We used Northland Services. Went like clockwork, their cost beat all the other shippers, just took a few days longer because it was on the barge. Delivered to Whittier and they made sure everything checked out with me when they released it. Don't know the difference in pricing between Whittier or Anchorage delivery. The Anchorage delivery may take an extra day also.
    If U had everything planned and all went perfectly a tow up the Alcan could be cheaper, but there is a lot of things to consider when undertaking the drive. Good luck.
    SeaULater

Gary you can call me at 276-4030 and I'd be happy to discuss timing and price on getting your boat up from Seattle to Anchorage. That would be through Northland Services.
    -Peter

One of the things that really raises the shipping price is if the beam is pretty wide. I checked into having my Thunder Jet Maxim shipped up in April. 25 feet long, 9 foot beam. Cheapest price I could find from Tacoma to Anchorage was approximately $4,900.

A less expensive option is to have it put on the ferry and pick it up in Haines. Pretty cheap this way, but they have a 50% surcharge if your rig is over either 8 or 8.5 feet ( I forgot)

On non wide boats the ferry is the cheapest by a wide margin, but the drive to Haines and back is not cheap.
    Tennessee

I talked to Christina at YRC and did well with the shipping. Good service and it only took one week from Seattle. I was 36ft OAL, 8ft 8" and like 12ft tall, 11k lbs. I didn't get out so easily on the pricing...

IceKing02