Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fishing report

Default fishing report

Anyone back yet from the Copper?

Making the run down there later today. Will let you know,

Talking Copper Dipping Report

Got back yesterday (Saturday)--Copper is very high (current and volume of water tremendous) with very rare (ha! ha!) wind blowing upriver...lots of exceptionally large reds in river. Partner and I kept 140 dipping from boat, which was about 8 total hours of dippin. Lots of fish in the river, but high water made dipping a bit trickier. Other boat dippers we saw before leaving and fishwheels above the bridge were doing well, also. Guessing it should continue to be strong numbers for next couple days?!?

Slaughtered them on Saturday.... excellent fishing in under 8 hours.

Just got back a little while ago, Monday 6-6-11. Me and my buddy got our limits (15 plus 10 supplemental each, 50 total) in about three hours of dipping. fishing is hot and the water has gone down a lot in the last couple of days.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default 80 in 4 hours

Heard a report from someone that fished Monday morning down the old railroad trail...

80 in 4 hours including one king...yea...hot

Hem Charter hotline:
    730pm Monday evening: Fishing was excellent on charters, everyone got their limit, river dropping, expect good fishing this week & large crowds, pack out your trash!

Thumbs up The Copper is HOT right now!

Made it back early this morning (3 am). Fished 6-6-11 and between my brother-in-law and I we came back with 70 (2 of which were Kings) in about 5 hours. Our thanks to Hem's as they treated us well. We had lost a net and Hem's let us borrow one of theirs when they checked on us. Everyone we ran into had done well or had taken their limits. Great weather and a great trip. FISH ON!

PS - We ran into a guy who had been ticketed ($110.00) by the troopers for not filling out his harvest permit after returning. Make sure folks aren't forgeting to do this.

Predictive Fishometer duly adjusted.

~tr

As everyone else has exclaimed, in a word, it was "Finomenal" on Sunday. Many thanks to Hem for running on a Sunday (NOT a normal operation). There was very little traffic on the river, either via Hem, hike, or personal boat.

Hem dropped three of us off right around 0830 on Sunday morning. A quick little instruction to "fish here, not there or you're wasting your time" from Mark, and he took off. After roping up, the first net hit the water around 0900, second drift through what would become the honey hole produced the first of 2 kings. A nice one, probably 25-30 lbs. We tried for a while to have three guys fishing, but quickly became overwhelmed with the process of "bonk, clip gills and tails, tie to stringer, repeat 5 times, make new stringer, repeat" and decided to have two nets in the water, and one guy processing. More times than than not there were at least one fish flopping a net waiting to be tended while the processor was working feverishly through the process.

Hems stopped by around 1200 and asked how we were doing. "60 fish in", we said. "It usually slows down a little during this time of day. We'll be back in 3 hours, unless you want us to come back before." We let them go. Should have made different plans. 30 more fish (including the second king), came in the next 60 minutes. 4 hours: 88 reds, 2 kings; 3 permits filled.

It took us 4 hours to clean them at Hem's fish cleaning station after we got dropped off around 1515. I've got to hand it to Mark and Sam, because the stayed there and waited, mostly patiently, for us to get that seemingly endless process finished up.

I've got the first batch in the smoker right now. My wife and I had our first (2nd for me) fresh salmon of the summer. I was able to procure a Chignik red last week on a trip related to my work. I turned my permit in yesterday. I picked it up on Saturday, I'm hoping that's some sort of record.

Happy dipping to whomever is heading down in the next couple of days.

Beau

Fished for about 10 hours Wednesday with the aid of Hem's. Slow fishing. Averaged 2 an hour for 20 total, which is the worst I've ever done. They were coming in small spurts where I was at. Most of the others that Hems took out that I talked to had about the same luck. People across from me that came down from the trail probably out-fished me 10:1. That was aggravating to watch, but good for them. The peak is definitely through. I missed it by a day. Talking to people out there, fishing was great the previous day and night. One of Hem's over-night customers got dropped at 6 and had his 40 by eight, and then he was stuck out there all night...lol.

Good luck people! I have to take a couple of days to recover now...lol.

The good news is that most of the ones I got are big...Kenai River (not Russian) sized fish.

Default Big First Run Reds

I echo Coho's comments about the size.

People say the first run is smaller fish. Well, if that's the case, the second run next month is going to average small king-size! I was there both runs last summer, and the fish I picked up on Sunday averaged no smaller than the late run last summer, and quite possibly bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by AKdreamn View Post
    I echo Coho's comments about the size.

People say the first run is smaller fish. Well, if that's the case, the second run next month is going to average small king-size! I was there both runs last summer, and the fish I picked up on Sunday averaged no smaller than the late run last summer, and quite possibly bigger.
    Yup...I have no idea what factors are in play in determining the size of the fish, but a couple of mine hit so hard and were so big I thought they were small kings at first.

Same thing here. Last year we got a lot that were really small. This year all but a couple were pretty good sized. The couple that were on the small side were still way bigger than the smaller ones from last year.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default Quoting One Who Knows

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I saw a recent article in the FDNM that said they are expecting a good sized red run, with a lot of 5 year old fish coming back through. As I recall, they are expecting a smaller king run...
    there ya go...

~tr

Yessir. That'd explain it.

I didn't even see a king this trip. Contrast to last year, when I got 8 while filling my 30. Of course, I only kept one, but there didn't seem to be a shortage to me, but they almost immediately shut down the PU king fishing. I haven't heard anything this year, but there seem to be far fewer in-river. I suspect they will close it soon.

I thought they were big reds for sure, we got the numbers we came for...and a sunburn on top of that. We saw four or five kings, each of us landed one.

SLOW.... was there TH-F-S. 9 reds 1 king. About 20 hours in the water. All caught from the sand bar on Chitina bridge side. I went to other areas accessible by wheeler and zippo. Coho, you must have caught all the big ones. My reds were small. One was smaller than any Kasilof fish I've seen.

We fished from 5:30am to 9:00pm Saturday with a couple hour break around 3pm, then we fished from 9am to noon on Sunday and didn't fare very well. We tried several areas, including dredging by Haley Creek and tying up in the canyon. Nothing was much better than our normal spot, so we spent most of the time there. We saw a bunch of fish rolling, so we knew they were there, but we only managed 42 for the day between three of us.

We have our secret king hole, so we didn't have a problem netting the kings, but interestingly the first three we caught were pretty lethargic. They barely fought in the water, and only gave a couple of week wiggles when we got them in the boat. I finally netted a decent size one, maybe 30-35llbs and he fought real well. My dad was taking a picture of my buddy with his king when I netted mine, so he switched his camera to video and got me bringing it in. Came out pretty well, but as the people know who were down there this weekend, it was WINDY, so the sound on the video isn't the greatest.

Other reports we got from folks down there was the same, slow. A couple of fishwheel parties pulled in around 20 fish in 48 hours between Thursday and Friday, and did a little better on Saturday by getting around 20 in 24 hours. We saw folks catching fish all over, but it was speratic.

Looks like a return trip for us later this summer, so hopefully we'll have another nice surge of fish to go after. I'll try to get the video on here soon. My mom uploaded it to her facebook, but I'd like to get the video off the camera since facebook hacks the quality of it pretty good.

We got our 80 fishing Thursday night and Friday morning. No kings! I cant seem to get them when we are allowed to keep them. Only have netted them when I have to release them. Go figure! Took about 16 hours fishing time. We were using a boat! Tons of people heading down friday night on our drive north!
    "One Last Cast"

It seems, it picked up on Saturday pm and we got 30+7 supplemental with two nets. Fishing from 7am to 4:30pm. Good
    part of this period with great size fish at pace of 3-4 per hour started from about noon. We were close to the limit, but had to go at 4:30 with the boat. We took charter (took our position in the line at ~11am Friday) and were placed on the far shore of the river, across ~4.5 mile mark or that first creek after O'Br., whatever its name is. There is long sand (dust?) bar at the other river bank at that location, reachable by ATVs.

NO KINGS! Although I saw several of a good size at the cutting table.

Gil net works fantastic or, rather, "finomenally" - I even got a couple who hit outer side of the net. Can be
    tangled pretty easy though with big fish fighting on the shore. Move quick on that.

Sunday morning was pretty quiet at O'Br. camp, it looked like almost everyone had gone home

Drive your ATV carefully and don't overload it - we saw pretty bad crash Friday at the landslide area
    crossing - I posted about it in the "trail" thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast