Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 338-06 kills

Default 338-06 kills

got out for a week of bear hunting this last weekend. Shot a nice black bear using my 338-06. 150 yards with 210 grain barnes TTSX though the lungs. It dropped in its tracks and didn't even twitch. The bullet was a complete pass though with a 33 caliber hole going in and a quarter hole going. This rifle is turning into my favorite rifle. Alot less recoil with a 338wm, but just as deadly in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    got out for a week of bear hunting this last weekend. Shot a nice black bear using my 338-06. 150 yards with 210 grain barnes TTSX though the lungs. It dropped in its tracks and didn't even twitch. The bullet was a complete pass though with a 33 caliber hole going in and a quarter hole going. This rifle is turning into my favorite rifle. Alot less recoil with a 338wm, but just as deadly in my eyes.
    Nice report on the performance, but where are the pics? No pics keeps this report in the realm of legend...

Seriously, this has largely been my experience as well. I own and sometimes use "magnum" cartridges, but I've found that on big game the 338/06 and 35 Whelen (though I'm more fond of the Whelen) provide terminal performance on par with the "magnums", while offering recoil and gun weight that I can appreciate.

Now where are the pics?
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

The pictures will come. Or course I didn't have my camera so im at the mercy of my buddy emailing me the pictures. It always seems to happen that you get animals when you leave your camera at home.

The 338-06 looked good back in 94 and even better today. If Weland insted of Kieth came up with it I believe it would have been in production long ago
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

It's turned into my favorite as well. Knowing it is capable of knocking down anything on the continent with authority and undo recoil is rare in rifle cartridges. Cheers.

I have a lot of experience with the "338-06" without owning the caliber. Back in the 60's I had a 333 OKH and shot a lot of game with it, but eltimately gave it up when .333 bullets became really hard to get.

Over the last 20+ years I've loaded a whole lot of 338 mag rounds for a couple of friends who just couldn't take the recoil. I load down to approximately 338-06 velocities, and they've used their rifles for everything in Alaska and lots elsewhere around the country. I frequently shoot "338-06" loads in my own 338 mags, for that matter.

All that's a preamble for agreeing with your experience and insights. When I get around to it, I'll gladly shed my two 338 mags and pick up a 338-06. I'm perfectly satisfied that the ballistics are right, and I certainly don't need the 338 mags.

As I have posed elsewhere on here I love the 338-06 I have the Ackley Improved version which if loaded to its full potential is 90+% of what any factory 338 win mag is any day any place. But you have the ability to use cheap 06 brass to load and atleast 1 extra round in the mag usually 2 as in my Springfield O3-A3 which holds 5 in the mag 1 in the pipe the average 338 win mag will hold 3+1. Keep the demand up and hopefully somebody other than A square will make ammo and weatherby make a factory rifle. Congrats on the trophy

HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

What kind of velocities are achieved with the 338-06 when using 200+ grain bullets?

I'm getting 2950 with a 185 TTSX and so far killed a couple deer...not much of a test but both dropped right down. With 200 grain bullets I am getting just a tad over 2800. Been using TAC for the lighter bullets and am real happy. Working on a load with RL17 and 250 grain Nosler partitions. Getting some very good velocities (2600) but haven't shot enough to verify I'm comfortable. No pressure signs so far. Would like to use this load for moose and bear this fall. Will stick with the 185 TTSX if the Noslers don't shoot well.

Using 57 gr of IMR 4320 with a 200 gr bullet it chronos 2850 with outstanding accuracy.

I use a 210 grain TTSX with 53.5 grains of RL-15 with a 24" barrell. I get about 2700 FPS. I could get faster, but that is what my rifle likes so I shot it.

Have you tried H414 and 225gr.TSX in your 338-06. Im comming to Alaska to hunt moose in sept. If you or anyone else have a better load please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by arizona ben View Post
    Have you tried H414 and 225gr.TSX in your 338-06. Im comming to Alaska to hunt moose in sept. If you or anyone else have a better load please let me know.
    If your rifle likes it i wouldn't worry about it. Have you tried RL-15. According to there book it is the best powder from 185 to 225 grain bullets.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Over the last 20+ years I've loaded a whole lot of 338 mag rounds for a couple of friends who just couldn't take the recoil. I load down to approximately 338-06 velocities, and they've used their rifles for everything in Alaska and lots elsewhere around the country. I frequently shoot "338-06" loads in my own 338 mags, for that matter.
    BB:
    I tried that myself, but hadn't found an accurate load, for my 338 WM, at 338-06 velocities, before I sold the 338 WM because I didn't like the recoil. (I reckon, I shoulda consulted you, but I didn't know.)

I like the 338-06 ballistics, but there's something I always wondered about, and that's how well, bullets intended for the 338 WM, would work as far as terminal performance is concerned.

A 250 grain Hornady Round Nose for example.

Would you have any concerns about that? Lack of expansion, etc.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    BB:
    I tried that myself, but hadn't found an accurate load, for my 338 WM, at 338-06 velocities, before I sold the 338 WM because I didn't like the recoil. (I reckon, I shoulda consulted you, but I didn't know.)

I like the 338-06 ballistics, but there's something I always wondered about, and that's how well, bullets intended for the 338 WM, would work as far as terminal performance is concerned.

A 250 grain Hornady Round Nose for example.

Would you have any concerns about that? Lack of expansion, etc.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    I do know that it does say in teh seirra maunal that if yo uare going to shot the 215 game kings that you need to push it as fast as you can go, because it made for the 338WM volicities. I called barnes and they said that the TSX will open well to about 1800 FPS and maybe even less.

I don't understand why it surprises people that a 210/230gr bullet moving 2500+ kills as well as it does. The 338/06, 35W, 350Rem, or for that matter even the 06 with 220s are all quite capable rounds with reasonable bullet placement. And because of lower velocity, they really don't need the fancy new bullets. I don't have a 338/06 but would not feel under gunned hunting anything in Ak with one.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I do know that it does say in teh seirra maunal that if yo uare going to shot the 215 game kings that you need to push it as fast as you can go, because it made for the 338WM volicities. I called barnes and they said that the TSX will open well to about 1800 FPS and maybe even less.
    Thanks.

My concern was lack of expansion.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty, I shot a moose with my 338-06AI last fall. The bullets used were 225g Hornady Interbond and chrony at 2725 fps. The moose was shot at a distance of 125 yds. Both bullets were recovered on the opposite hide. They measured .875in. weighing 200g and .773in. weighing 147g. That surprised me considering how thick the Interbond jacket walls are. 3 or 4 ribs were the only bones hit as they were broad side shots. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I don't understand why it surprises people that a 210/230gr bullet moving 2500+ kills as well as it does. The 338/06, 35W, 350Rem, or for that matter even the 06 with 220s are all quite capable rounds with reasonable bullet placement. And because of lower velocity, they really don't need the fancy new bullets. I don't have a 338/06 but would not feel under gunned hunting anything in Ak with one.
    I don't think it is a surprise. But with the caveat "with reasonable bullet placement”, what if the huge brown bear is fairly close, at an odd angle and bullet placement is less than desirable?

The 8mm-06 s also effective on deer/elk size game (using 180 gr bullets) and I have no doubts that the caliber (or the 338-06) would be effective on big game such as moose or bear. Both calibers can meet the State of Alaska F&G minimum bullet weight and energy requirements for those special buffalo hunts. Generally think that the if the 8mm-06 was in my hands, would make do. And probably more so with the 338-06 or 338 win mag.

I've been considering the 338 win mag for many years. But when the money affords the opportunity, will need to look into the 35 whelen also.

Thanks lagerboy:

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast