Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not much goin on over here, so, Rem. 870 or Moss. 500????

Default Not much goin on over here, so, Rem. 870 or Moss. 500????

Which do you prefer and why? Lets get a good thread goin so we have a book to read next winter!
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Neither.......Ithica Model-37 or a Winchester Model-12

I've always wanted a model 12.....
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Ditto on the neither. Get the Benelli Nova. If I had to choose between the two, I guess I would get the Mossberg which I can't believe I am saying. The gun has looser tolerances and a beefier extractor and will shoot dirtier. Had a blow out on an 870 express that just about took my buddies face off. The extractor didn't seat properly even though everything seemed fine. I shot and it blew parts of steel out the side of the gun. Sure it was just a fluke, but I won't take the chance again. Remington blamed it on me, but I know it was closed and would own up to it if it was my fault. I have an old 870 wingmaster that I have complete faith in, just not the newer ones.

Benelli Nova. Always reliable in the toughest and worst conditions. Just make sure you NEVER use too much oil. It's not fun to get the "Benelli Click" on the coldest and sometimes best duck days.

Rem 870 because I got it for $299 years ago. Absolutely bullet proof and shot lots of ducks and geese with it. However, there wasn't a Benelli Nova then. That's what I'd buy for a pump now. Mossbergs are even uglier than my 870.

My next shotgun will be a TriStar auto. Well made and half the price of a Benelli.

I also want a Browning A5 for nostalgic reasons.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Does it really do us any good to compare apples and oranges this way? If he'd wanted our opinions on guns we can't afford, he would have asked. Like if I happen to find a $2000 gun gift certificate I might choose between a Citori and a Red Label, but when a fellow asks if I like an 870 better than a Mossberg, I have to tell him that of course I prefer the 870. It has been my experience that the 870 shoots every time and has very few parts to keep up with when taking it apart to clean.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Fair enough. Count me in the 870 camp.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I have had my 870 super mag for 11 years and after shooting idk how many thousands of 3 inch plus the thousands of 3.5 inch and the 15 cases of target shells since january i finally have to start replacing some parts. first the ejector piece snapped in half where it is connected to the gun and now the little piece the keeps the shells in the magazine tube does not always allow a shell to come on the the ramp that feeds it into the chamber.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

870 for me as long as it's a "Wingmaster".

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Ithaca Model 37's and Winchester Model 12's are great to shoot, as is the Winchester Model 97... But I cherish mine way to much to take them out on the salt water where I hunt. I paid $199 for my 870 thousands of rounds ago, and it has never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Does it really do us any good to compare apples and oranges this way? If he'd wanted our opinions on guns we can't afford, he would have asked. Like if I happen to find a $2000 gun gift certificate I might choose between a Citori and a Red Label, but when a fellow asks if I like an 870 better than a Mossberg, I have to tell him that of course I prefer the 870. It has been my experience that the 870 shoots every time and has very few parts to keep up with when taking it apart to clean.
    The Benelli Nova is in the same price range as the Remington and the Mossberg.

Once again, ol' SkinnyD talking out his rear end. I was under the impression that it was a couple hundred dollars more and didn't do any fact checking. Sure enough, $400 will buy you a brand-spankin' new Benelli Nova.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Since the thread pits the 870 against the 500, I'll go with the 870.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Both excellent choices! I have a 37 in 16 gauge that I love! She is an old girl, but love her to death! I have shot both the 37 (obviously), and the 12. Actually I did that last weekend. I like the 37 more than the 12. Both great guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    870 for me as long as it's a "Wingmaster".
    Ditto! When the 870 started to show up at WalMart, I think the tolerances changed. The Wingmaster was very reliable. I've owned the both the Wingmaster and the Express.Production went way up with the express and quality went down. Today, a pump, I would go Benelli. I've got the Benelli Super Black Eagle and love, love, love it... of course a few more $ than the pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg400 View Post
    Ditto! When the 870 started to show up at WalMart, I think the tolerances changed. The Wingmaster was very reliable. I've owned the both the Wingmaster and the Express.Production went way up with the express and quality went down. Today, a pump, I would go Benelli. I've got the Benelli Super Black Eagle and love, love, love it... of course a few more $ than the pumps.
    i do like the eagles my buddy has sbeII but i just would not trust and auto when its october/november in the freezing rain and lake/ocean water.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

870 or 500, I would take a 500. Being right handed but shoot left (because of the eye thing) I like the safety location on the 500. I have both in the locker. However I hunt with a moss.. 835 ulti mag. The 500 is now my bear back up gun and the 870 magnum 30 inch full choke barrel sits in the locker. If you want it make me an offer. Sure there are better guns, but mine seem to get the job done.

Got a couple 870 wingmasters and they're nice, but now I shoot a Winchester SX3 3 1/2" and its amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast