Thread: Boat help.

Default Boat help.

Im sure this has been beat to death before somewhere but here it is again.

Im starting to want a fishing boat. Nothing serious. Will be used mostly for rivers/streams and possibly some larger lakes.

I was thinking some like a flat bottom jon boat with a prop.

I dont want to blow the hole enchilada on some crazy boat. It will only be for myself and at max 3 others.

How much hp do I need? Are there any other recommendations?

Thanks for the help fellars.

Depending on what rivers and streams you plan to run, you may be better off looking at a jet rather than a prop. How much HP you need really depends on the size of the boat and how much stuff you plan to haul in it. If you want to be able to cruise in lakes without getting beaten to death, a flat bottom won't be the best option. Any compromise boat is going to leave you wanting in one area or another. Another factor that comes into play for any recommendations someone can give you is what your boat budget is.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Im sure this has been beat to death before somewhere but here it is again.

Im starting to want a fishing boat. Nothing serious. Will be used mostly for rivers/streams and possibly some larger lakes.

I was thinking some like a flat bottom jon boat with a prop.

I dont want to blow the hole enchilada on some crazy boat. It will only be for myself and at max 3 others.

How much hp do I need? Are there any other recommendations?

Thanks for the help fellars.
    for a 16 to 18 ft Jon boat you could get by on 25hp prop... of course you couldn't get by very far nor very fast... 40 HP prop would be traditional and would move you and a good load comfortably... However, until you learn a few things about the Alaskan rivers, your going to need a very big budget for prop replacement...!! and a rebuild or two on the lower unit... You can find lots of 16-18 ft jon boats with any combo of OB on them on CL and the AL...

Yeah Ive heard there are lots of buried "treasure" in the rivers and streams so I am at least a little aware of what Im getting into.

I dont typically lake fish just thought it would be nice to be able to use it there if I needed to.

I was thinking about 45-60 hp prop job. I know a jet would be nice but I would like to keep the initial budget as low as possible and see how my addiction goes from there. If I can learn and be happy with a small boat (I dont plan on hauling more than 3-4 people) then I really dont want to go out and blow a bunch of money on something large that I really dont need or am never going to use to its potential.

I will probably be mostly boating on the parks hwy drainage's with some potential trips in the future down to Kenai/Kasilof.

So I guess armed with that info maybe one could make a recommendation?

From what it sounds like Im going to need at least 45hp to get around at any sort of decent rate and probably an extra prop until I figure out where all the wonderful surprises are. Sound about right?

Is there another type of boat one would recommend beside a flat bottom jon boat for lakes/streams that wouldnt be outrageous in the price department and still fit my needs?

If you are going to spend much time on the Big Su drainages you are going to want a jet. For the Kenai you are limited to a 50hp 4-stroke.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem