Thread: Crow Pass with dogs?

Default Crow Pass with dogs?

Going to hike Crow Pass this Tuesday thru Thursday. I was thinking about taking my dog an American bull dog. He is a big dog!!!! What is the river crossing like this time of the year? Is it like the kenai low in the spring and builds all summer or high in spring low in the fall?

Water levels have been high across south central lately, so I expect Eagle River is much the same. I've hiked Crow Pass with a dog before, but the dog required carrying across. There are some inherent dangers in crossing Eagle River when it's high and you'll have to determine if you're willing to do it carrying a dog and accept the additional risks. As always, make sure you unbuckle your pack so if you fall in you can get out of it if necessary.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Crossing Eagle River, a glacial river, at the designated Crow Pass Trail crossing point is generally shallow, only a foot +- deep, in the mornings. And absolutely cross only at that wide and shallow designated crossing point indicated by the signs (if they are still in place).
    On the warm and hot days it can raise dramatically as the temperatures raise and the sun beats down on the glacier, especially in the afternoons and evenings! The depth in the mornings, or anytime is not the real concern. The real concern is that the water is only minutes off the glacier, and is about 35 degrees. That temperature is quickly "foot numbing", and dogs do not do well in my observations at that crossing. Perhaps I'm just not a dog guy.

And by the way, the Kenai River this weekend, June 4 and 5, was a little higher than normal. Many of the gravel bars that are routinely exposed during much of the summer were under a few inches of water. The air temps were only around 53 degrees, but there had been some rain, and the river water was the clearest I have ever saw it. No fishermen or tourists boats yet. If you could tune out the road traffic noise, it was almost like being in the wilderness.

Dennis

Thanks for the info boys!!!! Heading out!!!