Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You guys feel pretty safe leaving your cooler in the back of your pickup?

Default You guys feel pretty safe leaving your cooler in the back of your pickup?

I was just thinking about that thread where someone got their cooler stolen from the back of their truck.

I have a small sized SUV and Im thinking I should strap the cooler to the car top from now on. Its a pain to have it in the back and I often stink up the car trying to get my fish in there.
    I just dont want to be taking it off, putting it in the car every time I leave the car for 6-7 hours.

I normally fish pretty busy areas so it would have to be someone really gutsy to take it.

Just wanted to get your opinions.

thanks
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

I heard a guy last year got his 454 stolen even though it was in his truck they broke the windows. ps jim creek

I don't think I'd let ANYTHING I didn't want to walk off, outside the vehicle. Windows get broken all the time in crowded parking lots & stuff taken from the vehicles. Leaving it outside the vehicle just makes it easier for the low lifes that exhibit this behavior with a predilication for stealing the belongings of others.

Nope, if we don't take it we lock it up somewhere now. Learned the hard way, dad got 6 people's limits of halibut stolen from the cooler in the back of the truck during the night this past weekend.
    hook, line, sinker, done.

That sucks. Never had anything stolen before.

I have a tool box in the bed that I keep everything locked up in. It is a PITA but like others have stated there are unfortunately way too many scum bags running around that have no respect for others property.

Bike cables and locks for coolers. Rig em to hold the lid down if you can figure a way. Buddy of mine stopped at the PO to check his mail while waiting for derby office to open so he could weigh in a nice king. Came out to show the fish to someone he saw in the PO and all he had was a wet cooler. Right in the middle of town.

never again will i leave anything of any worth in the back of my truck. next trip to homer they may find a bobbie trapped coller waiting! j/k haha you live and learn
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Try one of these....

http://www.lockstraps.com/straps

or

http://www.hotheadz.net/locking-tie-...e-ratchet.html

Weave it thru the handles of the cooler and over ther top then secure it to the bed of the truck or some other tie down point.

Quote Originally Posted by #1grousekiller View Post
    I heard a guy last year got his 454 stolen even though it was in his truck they broke the windows. ps jim creek
    Thats why I dont do Jims Creek anymore. I always had the fear of coming back to see my truck torched or windows busted. I use heavy chains and a big lock to tie my coolers down in the bed. I get the chains real tight across the lids and secure it down to bolted clips mounted in my bed. Got to go through some real trouble to get em off. My other stuff I keep locked in the truck and hidden from view as best as I can if I can't get it into my tool box. If I catch a punk breaking into my stuff there are going to meet Mr. 45 Long Colt and the cold metal of a State Troopers cuffs.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

The idea of peeing in the empty beer bottles, recapping them, and leaving them out is the best I've ever heard. It's just gotta make them think twice before stealing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by live2fish View Post
    The idea of peeing in the empty beer bottles, recapping them, and leaving them out is the best I've ever heard. It's just gotta make them think twice before stealing stuff.

That is an AWESOME IDEA!!!! What about spraying some sun glasses with bear spray and leaving them on the hood??
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoedawg View Post
    That is an AWESOME IDEA!!!! What about spraying some sun glasses with bear spray and leaving them on the hood??
    Oh that would suck so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    I was just thinking about that thread where someone got their cooler stolen from the back of their truck.

I have a small sized SUV and Im thinking I should strap the cooler to the car top from now on. Its a pain to have it in the back and I often stink up the car trying to get my fish in there.
    I just dont want to be taking it off, putting it in the car every time I leave the car for 6-7 hours.

I normally fish pretty busy areas so it would have to be someone really gutsy to take it.

Just wanted to get your opinions.

thanks
    Why would they have to be really gutsy? Nothing better than a well populated area. Guy just goes about his business like he owns the truck gets the cooler down chats with his buddy about how they will move it over to his truck / take it down to the water get the fish or something.....

It is a misconception that populated areas makes it impossible to steal. It is more the other way around that because of the people and the cars you can do whatever (ok loud breaking glass etc would be different) and it seems normal...........

Just my thoughts and no we don't leave our coolers out

I guess I'm just a slow learner or think that there ARE NOT THIEVES EVERYWHERE. In the last 20 years I've had the whole cooler or just the contents stolen while camping in Seward, Hidden Lake, and just last week Homer. About 10 years ago at Hidden Lake I came out of the camper in the morning to find my cooler empty. Then, (pissed off) walked down to my boat and found all of the electronics had been torn out of the dash, my batteries gone, and the little fishing gear I had left in the boat (about 50 feet from camp) gone. This was my brand new boats first time on the water. The troopers told me that it happens every night at most any campground on the Kenai Penn. I was just one of several people that got hit that night.

**** this sucks hearing all these stories...
    I haven't had anything stolen out camping/fishing yet, but someone stole some gas cans and misc gardening tools out of the backyard at my house. Made me build a fence around the property and put a dog inside Haven't had anything walking away since.
    A buddy of mine takes out all electronics out of his ocean boat every time we pull it to the dock, it's a major PITA to do, but saves a lot of $$ if someone would to steal them...

Back about '73 the wife and I and a couple kids, along with another family were camping on the Homer spit to do some shrimping (yeh we caught shrimp in Homer then)... We had a comunity ice chest with food, beer, etc in it, and set it outside the camper the first night.. It was gone the next Morning.. Police said, Yeh, happens all the time.. kids looking for booze... One year later up on the Sourdough campground, Gulkana River, a brand new river boat, left the old Black Lab sleeping in the boat, as he kinda liked it and considered it his... Wife, kids and I are sleeping in the camper when late that night the old Lab begins barking... Quickly grabbing a pair of levi's to put on and running to the boat to see what upset the old lab I discovered, that someone had thought about "borrowing" our "stuff" but the barking dog changed their minds.. However to show their dislike for being outfoxed, they cut the mooring lines to the boat.. Fortunately, they couldn't get close enough to the boat to shove it off the shore... So after two such incidents, we learned it just wasn't safe to leave anything out where someone could take it.. All gear, tackle, etc., had to be locked up at night..

Maybe try baiting the thieves instead of baiting your lines. O what fun, and a great surprise for the scum to meet the barrel of a scattergun.

Nothing says leave my **** alone quite like the sound of a shotgun shell being fired or the pain of buckshot being shot into their ass.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Shame on me living in Anchorage years ago my friends tool box was lifted from the back of his truck in the driveway I rigged another tool box with an Estes rocket motor to fire if the box was picked up 1/2 inch copper 90 button through the bottom of the box igniter and a 9 volt the guy left with a bad hand never returned. Box has a key to shut off the power before you move it, the burned handle reminds you not to lift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast