Thread: Improved OB Jet reverse bucket?

Default Improved OB Jet reverse bucket?

So with all the positive posts on the new WB improved SJ reverse bucket, its got me wondering if the same improvements (or at least some improvement) could be made to the OBJets reverse bucket?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Hi Yukoner, First from my view the stock OB jet has a much better reverse that a stock SJ. A OB jet has a hole in the reverse gate to let the exhaust out, if you were able to make a better bucket you would need to deal with the exhaust which is a challenge. Glen

IMO, the key to outboard jet reverse is to use a short powerfull blast. Reversing for any amount of time causes the pump to ventilate.

Mine works pretty dang well... I think where you get a lot of variation in performance is how much transom (related to depth of hull below the surface) is key... My older 1994 17' AK with the narrower bottom, and hence sitting deeper in water had so-so performance... 2009 20' XL that floats like a dry cork has MUCH better reverse, it's night and day. I don't think it has much to do with diff HP. I would agree with Glen the issue is how to deal with the exhaust, you just don't have a lot of options...

I'm sure that splitting the reverse stream to the sides would help keep the pump from eating it's own exhaust and therefore improve the reverse performance.

pilebuck, I agree. Grant and I were talking about that the other day after Yukoner raised the question. Glen

I agree that having the bucket direct the flow away from the intake would be a key improvement. I wonder if building it wider to direct around the jet foot would affect drag when the bucket is flipped down. I imagine the pump body would push most of the water around it but any drag that reduced the hole shot would make the cost outweigh the benefits. If any shop can get it figured though it would be you guys. It would be great to have an improved bushing setup too and I would definitely upgrade when my bucket wears out.

There's a few folks out this way that don't even have their bucket on their OBJ. They figure they don't really use it or need it. FWIW, I do have a top secret mod in mind for my OBJ. I'll take pics when I test.
    Last edited by Bethell; 06-06-2011 at 22:20. Reason: addition

"Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals."
    -John McCain

If you went wider, it shouldn't affect drag too much, as its still above the stream of water under the hull. Maybe if it could be re-engineered to swing up instead of underneath?
    As far as the exhaust, would it be such a bad thing to deflect the exhaust as well, as long as you increased the cavity size on the reverse gate so as not to impinge upon the exhaust flow?
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethell View Post
    There's a few folks out this way that don't even have their bucket on their OBJ. They figure they don't really use it or need it. FWIW, I do have a top secret mod in mind for my OBJ. I'll take pics when I test.
    No reverse is ok until you are trying to drift along the rock face at Chitina, knocked a cleat off my boat last year when I got to close, didnt have the bucket adjusted quite right and had a real hard trying to drift in the right spot w/o reverse.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Buddy of mine here worked for the fisheries dept. and ran all the rivers around Glenallen in a Lowe with an OBJ, they just kept the reverse off of it and ran balls to the wall all the time. They never missed it, but the rivers were so fast, they were never drifting at all, just beaching it hard when required.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

That's pretty much the MO here as well, at least in the Kusko's gravel tributaries...last one in the boat's gotta push off hard and into the deep water...

If the reverse bucket sent the exhaust under the foot it might ingest the exhaust and cavitate.

"Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals."
    -John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by Bethell View Post
    That's pretty much the MO here as well, at least in the Kusko's gravel tributaries...last one in the boat's gotta push off hard and into the deep water...
    If the reverse bucket sent the exhaust under the foot it might ingest the exhaust and cavitate.
    But, if the reverse bucket was re-engineered to direct the flow out and to the sides, like the SJ new reverse, shouldn't be an issue.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.