Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Youth Hunting Rifle?

Default Best Youth Hunting Rifle?

I am looking for any thoughts on what is an all around hunting rifle for my 11 and 9 year old. I am looking for make/ model and size and where to get them. Any thing helps. Thank you.

If its a "First" Rifle, a Nice .22LR Marlin Youth Rifle is a great way to go.

If its a step up, maby a Modle 7 Remington in .243 would do,depending on the kid.

You can always customise wooden stock to their pull and length, cheek area and forarm.

Teach 'em open sights before scope if possible.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Like stranger says, it kinda depends on the kid. How big is the kid, how much shooting experience does the kid have, etc. etc. These can all play a part in which rifle is 'right' for him/her...

Both kids are on the skinny side but tough as nails. They both have a 22 rifle and have shot a little bit. I had them shoot my SKS with an adjustable stock and they did fine. I grew up on a .243. New to AK and just getting back into hunting. Grew up in Montana hunting Mule's. Thanks for info. What is best caliber for AK for a youth hunter?

The managed recoil ammunition that Remington makes is a great option for starting out young hunters. It let's you get them a rifle chambered in a "big boy" caliber, but start out with recoil levels similar to the .243 that you cut your teeth on. As they grow comfortable with it, and want to take on bigger game, an ammo switch will be all that is needed. Can't go wrong with a 30.06.

My wife and kids shoot a Howa chambered in 7mm-08. It's a .308 cartridge necked down to accept a 7mm bullet. The rifle was purchased through Mountain View Sports in Anchorage for a little over $600. It comes complete with both a Hogue youth and adult stock and a lower end scope. As the kids get bigger you can just swap out the larger stock for the smaller. My wife has taken a caribou with it and I expect both boys to take caribou this fall with the rifle. It's nothing fancy, but big enough for most game and has less recoil than say a 30-06.

I bought my daughter a savage youth 270 that has a built in muzzle break that can be turned on and off at will. You have plenty of ammo options and big enough to take plenty of game.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

AR-15 with a telescoping buttstock. Fully adjustable for LOP so fits everyone in the family, near zero recoil, good for Black Bear & Caribou broadside, and Moose right where the antler meets the skull. If you you want you could get one in .223 for practice, and a separate upper in 6.8 SPC for hunting. Well thats my story and I am sticking to it.

as far as caliber, I absolutely love 7mm-08. Recoil is slightly above a .243 or equal with light loads. My 7 yr. old has no problem with it and I shoot it as well. 140 grn will drop a moose no problem and ammo is pretty much everywhere. Best recoil to power available.

I'll give a third recommendation for the 7mm-08. My wife (5'0") and my nephew both shoot Remington Youth rifles in 7mm-08, and those rifles shoot like a dream. Very little recoil with the full-powered round, and it is available in the 50% reduced recoil rounds to get the kids comfortable with it. My nephew started shooting his at 9 years old and had no problem at all. My wife took a very nice caribou two years ago with hers and had no problem harvesting it with one shot. I'm sold on the 7mm-08.

Another vote for the 7mm-08!!

Model 7 Remington, .308 Win. You can start them with Managed recoil ammo that will be about like shooting a 30-30, then can work up through normal .308 to some of the new higher performance Hornady stuff that gets you up to 30-06 performance. And, you can still get some milsurp that they can bang away with that is fairly inexpensive.

The 7mm-08 is an awesome round. A did a lot of research on youth model rifles before I decided on the Browning X-Bolt http://www.browning.com/products/cat...35&type_id=248 in a 7-08. The Browning had several features that I really liked and the action is very smooth. It is exactly like the full size X-Bolt so it is easy to upgrade the stock to a full size if you ever needed to and it also comes with a removable mag which makes it nice for the kids to load and unload without chambering a round. The X-Bolt was by far the best youth rifle that I could find but it's a little more money. Mountain View Sports had one in a .308 but I ended up finding the 7-08 at Sportsman Warehouse.

Thanks for all the info. Just getting back into hunting and am excited to teach my boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8Gulf View Post
    Both kids are on the skinny side but tough as nails. They both have a 22 rifle and have shot a little bit. I had them shoot my SKS with an adjustable stock and they did fine. I grew up on a .243. New to AK and just getting back into hunting. Grew up in Montana hunting Mule's. Thanks for info. What is best caliber for AK for a youth hunter?
    Where are the mules located in Montana, and are they as much fun to hunt as deer Consider the 260 Rem, or the 6.5x55 both are accurate and have mild recoil.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

The Monster Muleys are spread across Montana. If seen the biggest in Eastern Montana in the Badlands. These deer are enormous and have beautiful racks.

I've hunted mule deer in Montana from Roundup to Great Falls, just thought you had come up with a new type of sport hunting. In Texas they hunt hogs, I figured in Montana they might hunt mules. I know in Arizona and Wyoming we used to hunt horses and donkeys.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    My wife and kids shoot a Howa chambered in 7mm-08. It's a .308 cartridge necked down to accept a 7mm bullet. The rifle was purchased through Mountain View Sports in Anchorage for a little over $600. It comes complete with both a Hogue youth and adult stock and a lower end scope. As the kids get bigger you can just swap out the larger stock for the smaller. My wife has taken a caribou with it and I expect both boys to take caribou this fall with the rifle. It's nothing fancy, but big enough for most game and has less recoil than say a 30-06.

+1 on the recommendation for the 7mm-08 round. A great round. And that is one heck of a 'bou! Wow, very nice. You score that bull by any chance?

7mm/08 or 308 same shell and both good.Lots of good rifles out there and I have been useing the little H&R's a lot. You can add all the barrels you want and many different stocks out there.For young kids working the bolt can be a real pain and in truth many adults have problems doing it smooth. The new Rossi Wizard also swaps barrels and folks seem to like them so far.
    http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/youth.asp
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The Howa Youth rifle in 7mm08 is really hard to beat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast