Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Bear Hunting Within 60 Miles Of Anchorage

Default Black Bear Hunting Within 60 Miles Of Anchorage

Hi all,

Mister clueless Californian is going to Anchorage, and I was wondering if someone can give me an idea of where I can go with a 4 wheel drive SUV within a 60-80 mile radius of Anchorage for a do it yourself black bear hunt. I'm willing to hike a lot, glass areas, and do spot and stalk, but I don't want to bait. I basically need to try and fill my tag within 2-3 days. I wish I could go toward Prince William Sound, but it seems way too far with car. I would really appreciate any recommendations and help. Also, is wolf open season as is black bear?

Thanks

Also, I would be going within June 10 - June 17

No wolf, it closed Apr 30th, As for black bear, one day you might try hiking the river banks. I'm not much of a bear hunter, but by then the bears aughta be along the rivers, so its worth a shot. Maybe you could go sit out at somebodys bait one night?

Any where in Unit 14 A or B would be good prolly.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Do you have high quality binoculars........??? Are you an extremely "Lucky" person........??? With out good quality Binoculars, and truly very good luck, my guess is that you are wasting money on License & Tag.

I have a pretty good pair of Swarovski 10x42. I also have great eyes. I am definitely not a lucky person however. I guess that if I need to I will extend my boundary to 100-120 miles of Anchorage.

Has to be a Joke..... right?

Is what a joke? I'm serious about this.

The fact that you have a 60-80 mile radius that you're willing to DRIVE... NOW, You might have to increase it to 100... (Another 20-30 minutes of driving) It's laughable that 2 hours (total) of driving is your main concern....

What's your idea of a good black bear hunt without having to fly out from Anchorage within a reasonable distance... I've hunted bears around Seldovia, but I don't have the time to go on that type of hunt this round. My aim is not to drive over 3 hours... and I really don't want to go in the general direction of Homer because I've been going the past 14 years and in September I'm going to be there again. Alaska has a l lot to see, I want to go in other directions rather than Southern Alaska. Also, my family is planning to go King Salmon fishing around Wasilla, so I have to be mindful of them.

Hunt the same stream that your Family is fishing.....

Quote Originally Posted by squealpiggy View Post
    I have a pretty good pair of Swarovski 10x42. I also have great eyes. I am definitely not a lucky person however. I guess that if I need to I will extend my boundary to 100-120 miles of Anchorage.
    Those are good Bino's. But without luck what you need is more time to hunt. It sounds like what you really want is to see the country north of Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Those are good Bino's. But without luck what you need is more time to hunt. It sounds like what you really want is to see the country north of Anchorage.
    Ya pretty much, but I don't know exactly where I should try for the hunt. I looked at Willow on the map and I think Highway A3 takes you there. It seems like there are bears there, but I still don't know.

take the old glenn 35 m iles from anchorage seen a black bear there the other day eating a garbage bag by the side of the road
    Semper Fi!

Well I wish I had a gps for you but I would say that there shouldn't be a problem if your willing to look within 3 hour drive as you said, or 30-40 miles from Anchorage. Seems I drive a little more miles then you do in that time frame, but everyones diffrent. If your fishing in Willow then your pretty good on 30-40 miles from there. I agree to hunt the stream that your fishing, you'd be surprised. I haven't lived here long, but I would love to fill my tag in 2 or 3 days of hunting, and I hope you do. I would say a pocket full of bacon and a walk through the willows should give you a good time. Not trying to be a jerk, but I would love for a few more Californiacators to meet some of our bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_h View Post
    Well I wish I had a gps for you but I would say that there shouldn't be a problem if your willing to look within 3 hour drive as you said, or 30-40 miles from Anchorage. Seems I drive a little more miles then you do in that time frame, but everyones diffrent. If your fishing in Willow then your pretty good on 30-40 miles from there. I agree to hunt the stream that your fishing, you'd be surprised. I haven't lived here long, but I would love to fill my tag in 2 or 3 days of hunting, and I hope you do. I would say a pocket full of bacon and a walk through the willows should give you a good time. Not trying to be a jerk, but I would love for a few more Californiacators to meet some of our bears.
    ha...ha Don_h ... since I'm not so familiar with the highways other than the Old Seward Highway, I'm guessing 3 hours driving in Ak would take me 150-200 miles and that's fine... still open to suggestions

Wasn't trying to be funny. (well kinda) If your fishing willow you already met your 60 mile limit. The further north you go the better off you'll be. I live in Eagle River and I would love a 60 mile drive, but like I said I haven't lived here long so got to put my time in. Problem with where you are is it's pretty flat. The glassing part means looking at a hillside and then making up your mind if you wanna go up there or not. So the bacon thing on flat ground may not be so bad, but you said you don't wanna bait, so once again your limited. If you do wanna do the bacon neck in the willows, let me know, I'll drive 60 miles to follow you. At a distance.

You'd be lucky to get from Anchorage to Talkeetna Jct. (104 miles) in 3 hours.. With the construction going on between Willow and Caswell..... Trust me.

Red face Lots of work or luck

I'v e been up there 3 times in the last 2 years, and bought a tag "just in case" two years in a row and I think you are going to have to be very lucky to put a tag on one without concentrating on bear hunting. If you are fishing, then waiting on one to come to water may be the best bet. But you are probably going to be covered over with people unless you boat up one of the main rivers. I'm going late this August and hiking into a spot on the Kenai to camp for several days and try the glassing, hiking further up, thing. In 2 hrs at this spot, I saw 2 females with cubs and what I think was a male bear waaaaay up high (7 total). The females I could have gotten to pretty easily, but the single bear would have taken hours, if I could have lasted physically. I've come to the conclusion that if you are not local and baiting, or cruising the beaches in spring from a boat that black bear hunting in Southcentral AK is going to be a lot like sheep hunting in Southcentral AK. I tried 2 stalks out around Hope last fall, failed each time, and the last time I felt like I was walking up a wall.... There is just nothing down here that can replicate trudging through 5-foot tall wet grass on 45+ degree slope. Once I got past the grass, it wasn't so bad, but by then the bear was long gone.

Sorry these guys aren't being very helpful but maybe I can help a little bit. You can hunt black bears easily within 60 miles of Anchorage as long as you don't mind doing a little bit of walking. There are several trails you can hike up along the Seward highway, Bird Creek is one of them. There is also another trail you can walk but I cannot remember the name of the road, it is just before an auto repair shop a little ways past Bird Creek, it's a powerline trail that goes back quite a ways. You can also shoot one on the mountains alongside the Seward between Indian Creek and Girdweed, you just have to make sure your 1/2 mile from the highway before you pull the trigger. I've hunted all of these places before and have seen black bears just about every time i've been back there but I was hunting brown bears at the time so I left them alone. Lots of black bears between the Kenai cutoff and Seward too but that is a bit more than 60 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Sorry these guys aren't being very helpful but maybe I can help a little bit..

Sorry you feel that all who aspired to help before you rode in on your white horse to save the day, and negate all that was posted before you, However you can't be helpful if you don't read the thread............Clearly stated he wanted to hunt "NORTH" of anchorage. Not "SOUTH" of Anchorage. Maybe you need a new compass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast