Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Posing for pictures

Default Posing for pictures

Hey All, I was hopin to start a thread on how to pose for pictures for various animals.

I know that with my first moose, the picture was really crappy, and I hate it. Mostly because it was a "snap shot" cause we ust wanted to get it done and get out.

So, I, for one, was wondering if there is a difference between posing for moose and bear? I, for one, also don't want to sit at the back end of a bear to make it look huge.

So, if some of you experts could post pictures of how you do it and make it look good, that would be great!

Here is my moose pic that is so bad. that thats really doctored up!

Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I say take 20 or so because you may dislike 75percent of them. Also there are just some situations that lend themselves to good photography in the field. If I've rolled something and bloodied it all up I won't take many photos. Don't feel bad about being in a hurry to process game, it happens and is important.
    Bears should be photographed to display their best characteristics. Some have it all, some don't. Capture the area too. Bears as a trophy animal are highly reflective of the wilderness experience. Capture the habitat too. I like bear photographs of the successful hunter with a nice hide draped over a shoulder. The classic bear in the bow shot is classy too, it really signifies success.

Nothing wrong with that photo at all!! Congrats on your first Bull!

Sometimes the best photo doesn't even have anyone in it....

It makes the antlers look small, my hat is crooked, hood is up, You should never "straddle" a animal. not to mention, the moose neck is on a bit of a hump, so it makes me look really big, compared to the moose.

Had I thought through it, I would have kneeled at teh base of the neck, and held the antlers in front of me with one hand, and my gun in the other, with my body off to the left of the left antler.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

It is what it is... I think it's a cool photo. A kid with his first Bull is what I see.

Sounds like you have a good idea of how to take field photos. Just take lots of them! I don't have any photos of my first Bull.

I think thats a killer photo and I couldn't think of one way to make it better, Nice one FFG.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    It is what it is... I think it's a cool photo. A kid with his first Bull is what I see.
    Agreed.

You should see the photo's of my first moose. Your's put it to shame.

I would post it for you. but that was long before the digital era, and even before 4"x6" prints.

All I have is a 3"x5" of a little chubby kid in the rain holding the tip of an antler with his thumb in the air. The memories are as clear today as if it happened yesterday.

Most of the animals I took from the mid 80's to early 90's I dont even have photo's of. Cameras were not on the packing list for my hunting party back then.

Be glad you have what ya got.

I like it, congrats on your first.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    Most of the animals I took from the mid 80's to early 90's I dont even have any photo's of. Be glad you have what ya got.

I didn't start taking photos until I could afford my own $6.00 disposable plastic camera... ha ha

No joke!

How do you pose for a good "Bear Shot"?

Thanks Guys!

Any picture of any kid with his first bull moose is a very great picture.
    While I do not take pictures of my client hunters sitting on their harvested game, a smiling kid can sit anywhere he wants and it is a great picture. I consider that picture to be a picture of a proud young hunter!
    dennis

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    How do you pose for a good "Bear Shot"?

Thanks Guys!
    Since no one else is sharing (help a kid out!).... Here's how I do it. Seems to work.

here is a couple but I'm no expert. I would agree that you should take the time to shoot a bunch of different ones. I have heard that one main ideas is to get low behind that animal.

Semper Fi and God Bless

I recommend the same "pose" and camera settings as you use while harvesting the garden or shopping at the grocery store.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

i'll jump in here with some of my pet peeves for photo taking that i try avoid.....i see where your doing with this. first off, never dis a photo of your first moose, just make a point to make the next one different...but treasure the ones you have!!

things i can't stand...

straddling an animal

pilling stuff under their head, like backpacks, rocks, logs, split firewood ect

holding deer by BOTH antlers...ohhh that one kills me.

guns on animals

"chokin'" stuff, holding it by the neck or ears, sometimes it works ok when terrian dictates that you have to to see the animal, but some guys just grab it by the throat or ears and drag it up into the air

not filling the frame, don't center you in the photo, center the animal and fill the frame as best you can.

flatter the animal...clean it up, brush it off, roll it over, do whatever you need to to put it in its best light...

few ideas, i'm sure i'll tick someone off here, but just remember your photos are your own, they mean something to you and how others feel about them should not matter....!!
    i'll try to post a couple that i like and see if i have some here that i don't like to show you what i mean.

heres a shot holding up the head to see it...can't see the hand very well and it don't distract from the bear at all...

deer photo, can't see the hands and can't tell how the deers being held up, hands aren't covering part of the antlers at all and a good side view to see how pretty these deer really are!

try different stuff on occasion and see how it comes out...never seen a pic like this one before so i gave it a whirl....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

heres a few more....
    classic bear pic, but we aren't standing why behind it, see his hand on the hind quarter, step towards the back to bring the focus on the bear rather than our ugly mugs...makes the bear jump from the picture...and if your saw don't break get all the big alders outa the picture!! lol

heres one of those "huggin" pics i don't like...can't see the bear and takes away from the reason for the photo...

contrasts in a photo and setting sometimes make the whole deal, let the animal make the photo and the scenery if the chance presents itself...

if you have snow or a skyline, get the antlers up into it, draws the eye to the trophy!

supercubs black bear looks like a big one, if i made any suggestion it would be to make more of angle to see more of the bear, big animals are much easier to photgraph, smaller ones present challenges!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

BRWNBR,

You should charge your clients extra for your photography skills! Great post and great comments. Thanks.

You'll never stop learning, and it seems like I always miss something when taking pictures. So definitely take many. I'll use my most recent photos to highlight some mistakes.

In this picture, what's the first thing you notice? The long piece of dead grass on the bull's head, huh? We failed to clean up the animal before the picture because we were in a bit of a hurry and were still appreciating the size of the animal. Should have taken a moment none-the-less to clean up. That did happen later when one of the guys noticed. Also, I like some photos with the gun/weapon in them. It's part of the harvest. In this case, I took the shot so I have the rifle in the pic with me. Photos of my brother don't.

Some things just happen when an animal dies. Pay attention and adjust the framing of the photo. I should have framed this photo a little farther forward to omit the bung hole.

Hands covering up too much of the horn (head was heavy making it hard to hold up), mouth is open, and the darn dead grass.

We took a bunch more photos with three different cameras, and like mentioned in a previous post, many pictures had one or more things that made them less than perfect. However, I still like to have many photos saved because they all show a differnt angle, expression, scenery, and qualities of the animal. I'm glad you are doing your research now because it should increase the number of good photos you have in the end.

WOW all.....what wonderful pictures!

How cool is that that you got your very first moose! Hey...I'd be happy with any ole picture if I got a MOOSE! These guys gave you some wonderful advice regarding taking pics. I especially like the idea of cleaning up the animal a bit to make it look pretty in the pictures.

The one I have to agree with the most is to just take a TON of pictures...then sort through at home on your computer to figure out the best few. See if the picture is better if you crop some of it out for balance.

But mostly..........from an old girl who's been on the planet a few more years than you............ENJOY THE MOMENT!!! Don't miss the experience!!! It's so AWESOME for you to have fun and excited over your first moose kill....but even MORE awesome when you can tell your kids, later in life, about the experience.

I still kick myself after catching my first 50+ King salmon last summer that I didn't have a picture taken...but I will NEVER forget the experience!!!

Keep on enjoying the outdoors. It's the BEST!!

FF
    "The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
    In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

HuntKodiak..... not my best work, but just wanted to make a point out of your dilemma.... most of the pictures you see on the news or in the paper are no longer 100% "original"... no reason yours have to be :-)

BearAndBisonHunt037 (1).jpgBearAndBisonHunt029 (1).jpg

I think your first moose photo is awesome. We all learn as we go and try to improve on our technique as we do so.

Large game like moose and brown bear, are hard to move and sometimes just have to be dealt with were they fell.

Fill the frame, try to get the sun at your back, clean up as much blood as you can and smile it is supposed to be FUN!!!

First moose made the riding him mistake myself.

Bull from last fall, hope this one is better.

First Caribou also killed on the same trip as my first moose.

Last Caribou bull I harvested.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast